970 or 990 chipset?

I'm planning on upgrading to a 8350, is it worth spending the extra money on the 990 chip set or saving a saving and putting that money into more ram? plan is to OC so would the 990 give better clocks?

I know about the silicon lottery.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+Socket/Socket+AM3%2B+Piledriver+FX/Gigabyte+GA-970A-UD3P+AMD+Socket+AM3%2B+Motherboard+?productId=57967

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+Socket/Socket+AM3%2B+Piledriver+FX/GIGABYTE+GA-990FXA-UD5+AMD+990FX+%28Socket+AM3%2B%29+ATX+Motherboard+?productId=55019

never planning on using crossfire or SLI.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

What are you upgrading from?  What is the purpose of the machine?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

What are you upgrading from?  What is the purpose of the machine?

I currently have an i3. doing photo editing (raw images from my d3100), video rendering and 3d modelling/animation.

I don't have enough for a i7 and kinda have my heart set on that 8 cores even if it is the under dog.

I currently have an i3. doing photo editing (raw images from my d3100), video rendering and 3d modelling/animation.

I don't have enough for a i7 and kinda have my heart set on that 8 cores even if it is the under dog.

Maybe go for a Xeon?  What motherboard do you have for the i3?  By the way, it is not a true 8 core, but it does perform exceptionally well at the tasks you listed.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I use a 970 chipset motherboard for my 8350 using the m5a97 r2.0 and i havnt had the best overclocking experience with it so far. *edit* that being said, i dont know if that means the 990 chipset is that much better, depending on the motherboard brand that may vary such as a 970 from gigabyte

Maybe go for a Xeon?  What motherboard do you have for the i3?  By the way, it is not a true 8 core, but it does perform exceptionally well at the tasks you listed.

1155 sandy, i know 4 modules with two cores. I do game slightly but nothing demanding enough that my i3 can't handle.

I use a 970 chipset motherboard for my 8350 using the m5a97 r2.0 and i havnt had the best overclocking experience with it so far. *edit* that being said, i dont know if that means the 990 chipset is that much better, depending on the motherboard brand that may vary such as a 970 from gigabyte

that is sad to hear, from what i can see from the two boards is the 990 has a few more PCI and supports xfire and SLI and a slightly higher HT (internet told me that).

@vorticalbox

It makes much more sense to stick with your current 1155 motherboard and buy either an i7 or a Xeon.  What is your budget?

You can probably find a used i7 if you are comfortable with that.  Otherwise, try and find one new?  The i7 will give you the best performance because you can overclock it.  It will be more expensive though.

The alternative, is buying a Xeon.  It is not overclockable, but it is a quad core with hyperthreading, and those tasks you mentioned benefit greatly from HT.  It is generally less expensive than an i7, and if you really wanted, you could do some BCLK overclocking.

Switching platforms is like a step in the wrong direction in my opinion when you already have an 1155 motherboard.

@vorticalbox

It makes much more sense to stick with your current 1155 motherboard and buy either an i7 or a Xeon.  What is your budget?

You can probably find a used i7 if you are comfortable with that.  Otherwise, try and find one new?  The i7 will give you the best performance because you can overclock it.  It will be more expensive though.

The alternative, is buying a Xeon.  It is not overclockable, but it is a quad core with hyperthreading, and those tasks you mentioned benefit greatly from HT.  It is generally less expensive than an i7, and if you really wanted, you could do some BCLK overclocking.

Switching platforms is like a step in the wrong direction in my opinion when you already have an 1155 motherboard.

I live in the UK so around £300, that needs to get my a new PSU have 550 watt OCZ that i really don't trust :P

xeon is an option and I know am3+ is not getting much love from AMD atm, i don't know fancy a change.

must add the 1155 MB i have is a low end MSI board that cost me about £45 and it's blue and it is ruining my red/black/white theme that i started to build after i got my switch 820.

I live in the UK so around £300, that needs to get my a new PSU have 550 watt OCZ that i really don't trust :P

xeon is an option and I know am3+ is not getting much love from AMD atm, i don't know fancy a change.

must add the 1155 MB i have is a low end MSI board that cost me about £45 and it's blue and it is ruining my red/black/white theme that i started to build after i got my switch 820.

Thats a decent budget, we can make this happen easily.

Do you know the exact model of motherboard? I'm going to guess that it is the one I picked out.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qH9vsY

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qH9vsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£196.88 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (Purchased For £0.00)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£51.98 @ Novatech)  <-- Very nice PSU btw.  Gold rated and semi-modular.

Total: £248.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 08:54 BST+0100

Thats a decent budget, we can make this happen easily.

Do you know the exact model of motherboard? I'm going to guess that it is the one I picked out.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qH9vsY

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qH9vsY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£196.88 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (Purchased For £0.00)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£51.98 @ Novatech)

Total: £248.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 08:54 BST+0100

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z68AG43_G3.html#hero-overview

this is the board I have.

thanks will definitely consider it, assume my MB can OC well it would make sense to dump more of my budget into the CPU.

sucks when i really want 8350 but intel are just plan better and i really want rid of the blue :(

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z68AG43_G3.html#hero-overview

this is the board I have.

thanks will definitely consider it, assume my MB can OC well it would make sense to dump more of my budget into the CPU.

sucks when i really want 8350 but intel are just plan better.  

Oh! Very nice, you have a Z series motherboard.  That changes things.  Buy an i7.  Before using an i7, you will have to update the BIOS so that the i7 works. You already have a compatible processor, so update your BIOS and you're ready to go with a brand spankin new i7-3770k that will give you the best performance.

For Intel, the quality of your overclock is purely luck of the chip.  Motherboard wont impact overclocking performance.  You will get the same OC on the least expensive Z motherboard as you will on the most expensive Z motherboard.  AMD, you have to have a really high end motherboard in order to overclock.  Stick with the motherboard you have, and buy an i7.  Overclock it, and get the best performance all around.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£229.90 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (£0.00)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£51.98 @ Novatech)

Total: £306.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 09:07 BST+0100

Here is a video from JayzTwoCents who does a lot of video editing and rendering.  The topic of the video is 3770k vs. 4770k, but he talks a lot about rendering performance comparing the FX and the Intel.

He talks about switching from an 8350 @ 4.8Ghz to an i7-3770k.  Even at stock, the i7 is beating the overclocked FX8.  Once overclocked, it is blowing it out of the water.

You have to jump to 5:45 in the video to get to that part about comparing the two processors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQqpIEw7jk#t=405

on budget the fx 83XX is a great option, and now they will have a price reduction, that is nice. for OC go with a 990fx mobo with 8+2 power delivery (or the asus sabertooth) for good OC, and the am3+ support ECC memory if you use that .

the intel i7 are better performers but cost more, and dont support ECC, if you can get a Xeon for arround the same price of the fx-8320 go for it.

not 970 or 990...h97 or z97

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Oh! Very nice, you have a Z series motherboard.  That changes things.  Buy an i7.  Before using an i7, you will have to update the BIOS so that the i7 works. You already have a compatible processor, so update your BIOS and you're ready to go with a brand spankin new i7-3770k that will give you the best performance.

For Intel, the quality of your overclock is purely luck of the chip.  Motherboard wont impact overclocking performance.  You will get the same OC on the least expensive Z motherboard as you will on the most expensive Z motherboard.  AMD, you have to have a really high end motherboard in order to overclock.  Stick with the motherboard you have, and buy an i7.  Overclock it, and get the best performance all around.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£229.90 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (£0.00)

Total: £306.84

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 09:07 BST+0100

The only problem i see is that it only has a 4+1 power parse and that worries me that it will limit the OC i would get.

So my two choices now are risk the lower power parse and get an i7, or jump to am3+ (8+1) and OC the balls of a 8350.

Two things are pushing my to AMD, 8+1 power and colour and my god i hate the MSI bios....

The only problem i see is that it only has a 4+1 power parse and that worries me that it will limit the OC i would get.

So my two choices now are risk the lower power parse and get an i7, or jump to am3+ (8+1) and OC the balls of a 8350.

Two things are pushing my to AMD, 8+1 power and colour and my god i hate the MSI bios....

With Intel, you don't need power phase regulation.  It is all done on the chip.  You will achieve the same overclock with a low end motherboard as you will with a high end motherboard.

This is not AMD where they have 125W TDP processors that require lots of VRMs to just power the processor.  You will be perfectly fine on that motherboard there is zero risk involved.

Going to AMD when you already have a working 1155 motherboard is a step in the wrong direction.

With Intel, you don't need power phase regulation.  It is all done on the chip.  You will achieve the same overclock with a low end motherboard as you will with a high end motherboard.

This is not AMD where they have 125W TDP processors that require lots of VRMs to just power the processor.  You will be perfectly fine on that motherboard there is zero risk involved.

Going to AMD when you already have a working 1155 motherboard is a step in the wrong direction.

Wrong? maybe not, not the bets i'll agree with.

Ok well on another forums i posted a year ago about upgrading to a k i5 and i was told that my Mobo would not actually do that well at overclocking, so i should upgrade it.

hence I have sat on an i3 till now.

also as you said everything is done on the cpu maybe i could pick a asrock or something on the cheap? i really want to be rid of the BLUE

Edit: just remembered that a pal from college is offering my £80 for my CPU/mobo which is another reason i was looking into the amd side 

Wrong? maybe not, not the bets i'll agree with.

Ok well on another forums i posted a year ago about upgrading to a k i5 and i was told that my Mobo would not actually do that well at overclocking, so i should upgrade it.

hence I have sat on an i3 till now.

also as you said everything is done on the cpu maybe i could pick a asrock or something on the cheap? i really want to be rid of the BLUE

Edit: just remembered that a pal from college is offering my £80 for my CPU/mobo which is another reason i was looking into the amd side 

Anyone else care to chim in please? 

VRM doesn't matter on Intel.  Its all done on the chip.  Just type in i7-3770k + MSI Z68A and you will find plenty of results.

If you can spend the extra money, buy a new Intel mobo, but it is completely unnecessary.

AMD while its one strength is productivity, is a step in the wrong direction when you already have the motherboard you have.  Also, depending on the games you play, it wont play them as well as Intel.  What games do you play?

If you really want to do productivity, get an i7, it will blow the FX8 out of the water.

VRM doesn't matter on Intel.  Its all done on the chip.  Just type in i7-3770k + MSI Z68A and you will find plenty of results.

If you can spend the extra money, buy a new Intel mobo, but it is completely unnecessary.

AMD while its one strength is productivity, is a step in the wrong direction when you already have the motherboard you have.  Also, depending on the games you play, it wont play them as well as Intel.  What games do you play?

If you really want to do productivity, get an i7, it will blow the FX8 out of the water.

I just hate that msi bios so much and the blue really ruins my rig lol

the games i play are skyrim, dungeon defenders, assassins creed, saints row. nothing that makes my rig bend over and go fetal

I'm not saying you are wrong i was just told that my MB it's "smaller than ATX and only a 4 pin power" wouldn't allow me to push the clocks that far.

Faceman is mostly right, any motherboard with a ''Z'' in the chipset name is overclocking ready and a 4+1 phase motherboard is sufficient to get a solid overclock out of any intel quad-core...but the ''on chip voltage regulation'' that he is refering about has only been introduced on haswell chips which are the 4th gen CPU's and is otherwise know as fivr (fully integrated voltage regulation) but your motherboard would get you at least 4.2ghz or more on a good i5 or i7 anyday.

It's the best upgrade you could do, a core i5-3570K for gaming will get you vey far and a i7-3770K if you do productivity work or anything multi-threaded. Both are better than an FX CPU in any scenarios except the FX will render videos and do productivity task a little faster than the i5-3570K.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

the games i play are skyrim, dungeon defenders, assassins creed, saints row. nothing that makes my rig bend over and go fetal

I'm not saying you are wrong i was just told that my MB it's "smaller than ATX and only a 4 pin power" wouldn't allow me to push the clocks that far.

All of those games that you mentioned will not run as well on an FX processor, even once overclocked.

If its aesthetics that you want, you are going to have to pay more than your 300 budget.  If you are buying a new motherboard, you might as well step up to Haswell or Devil's Canyon.  The performance gains will be minimal, practically non-existent and not worth the money.  Update the BIOS on your current motherboard, buy an i7-3770k and you are done.  This is the best solution.

Define games that make your rig bend? WoW actually doesnt make a 10K $ build bend but the CPU bottlenecks like shit and the game runs at 30 fps. Skyrim, dungeon defenders, AC etc are all CPU limited games and a 8350 will be mainly a downgrade. You're better off swapping your i3 with a i5 and your board will be plenty for it. The cheapest lga1155 boards NEED to have VRM that's VDR12.5 certified meaning they are required to push a i7 to its maximum load without a hassle. VDR12.5 is Intels spec. 

All of those games that you mentioned will not run as well on an FX processor, even once overclocked.

If its aesthetics that you want, you are going to have to pay more than your 300 budget.  If you are buying a new motherboard, you might as well step up to Haswell or Devil's Canyon.  The performance gains will be minimal, practically non-existent and not worth the money.  Update the BIOS on your current motherboard, buy an i7-3770k and you are done.  This is the best solution.

not even aesthetics just not blue....

Define games that make your rig bend? WoW actually doesnt make a 10K $ build bend but the CPU bottlenecks like shit and the game runs at 30 fps. Skyrim, dungeon defenders, AC etc are all CPU limited games and a 8350 will be mainly a downgrade. You're better off swapping your i3 with a i5 and your board will be plenty for it. The cheapest lga1155 boards NEED to have VRM that's VDR12.5 certified meaning they are required to push a i7 to its maximum load without a hassle. VDR12.5 is Intels spec. 

This post has confused me a little, i am really not upto date with any of this, so question will my board let me really OC an i7?

and by bend i mean causes lag or make it unplayable/unenjoyable, the editing and things takes up way more of my time than games do :(