Questions about Coding.

FineVisionz

I am starting to gain interest about getting into coding, but have a few questions.  What can you do with coding?  Also, what is the best program to code?  If you have any tips/pointers for me,  I would love to hear them!  :D

You can code something to do pretty much whatever you want. Again there isn't really a best program, but if you're just starting out maybe try to make some simple guessing games, calculating the hypotenuse of a triangle etc. before moving onto bigger and more complex programs.

I'd suggest that when you code to try and break things because this is an awesome way to learn and try thing the unconventional way. Making mistakes is the best way to learn in my opinion. Also you're going to want to focus on a single language to start off.

With coding, the sky's the limit. Seriously, you can make programs, hack things, create security systems, games, create AIs, make websites, set up data structures, engineer robots, program aircrafts and weapons, etc.

The best program to code is completely subjective, do you mean the best language?

Tips - practice. I wish I practiced my coding more, it's getting pretty rusty. Also, try and figure things out on your own before asking questions. It's a great learning experience.

Not to hi-jack his thread, but where did you learn?

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

With coding, the sky's the limit. Seriously, you can make programs, hack things, create security systems, games, create AIs, make websites, set up data structures, engineer robots, program aircrafts and weapons, etc.

The best program to code is completely subjective, do you mean the best language?

Tips - practice. I wish I practiced my coding more, it's getting pretty rusty. Also, try and figure things out on your own before asking questions. It's a great learning experience.

As you can clearly see,  I don't understand a thing.  So yes I guess whats the best language?  And what do you use to code?  Like what program?  Or is that the same thing as language?

What you can make by coding is virtually limitless. Create websites, games, databases, programs. Some even do the most basic games and earn fifty-grand per day. (*cough* Flappy Bird)

I suggest to start with C or C++. Then slowly work your way up to Object-Oriented Programing in C++ or Java. Then it's personal preference from there, wanna code iOS? Learn Swift (or Objective-C). Websites? Learn PHP. Databases? MySQL.

Tips: The first steps is gonna be hard. (I almost gave up) Never let a problem bog you down though - Keep researching, Keep learning. Once you get the hang of it, proceed with the more complex stuff. And do something fun & interesting with codes for awhile to help free your brain from problems.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

What do you guys think of using the Barnacules Nerdgasm to help guide me along at first and learn some of the basics?  Or is there some other youtube video/series you would recommend?

Depends on the language. What do you want to learn first? Barnacules' tutorials are for C#

To be honest,  I have no idea what learn first.  I am really confused.  Sorry if I frustrate you with any of my confusion about something that is probably simple.

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to hop on codecademy and start with the python course. It'll give you an idea of what programmig is and you'll be able to make some simple things within a few hours.

Why python? Although it is not the best language for a lot of things, like raw performance, it has a very low barrier entry and focusses on having you write clean, readable code. Once you get an idea of how coding works, start exploring other languages. These is no best one, there is a right one for a particular job, and knowledge translates over to ither languages pretty easily.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

Coding/Programming is quite simply giving instructions to the computer. Any software you use weather it be Windows or Mac OSX, Skype or Hangouts and any games you play are programmed/coded. The best program to code? Anything you have a need or passion for.

I am starting to gain interest about getting into coding, but have a few questions.  What can you do with coding?  Also, what is the best program to code?  If you have any tips/pointers for me,  I would love to hear them!  :D

what can you do???? well so far i find you cant code your toaster to elevate itself to the proper angle so that when it pops the toast with the right amount of force the toast lands perfectly on your desk. but you know, one day. best program to code? well.....what do you wanna do? wana make a game? go write a guess my number game but make the computer a player so that the person will have to "beat" the system to the answer. then make it so that one system hosts the number, and other systems try guess. right there you AI and basic network programming. as for tips and pointers, hit up forums. google search. learn to write good code documentation early on, i didnt and regret it. now i am in college and have to learn that and practice it significatnly because its important. also do a project, then go away from it for a month. then come back. do one or two of these without having documentated any of the code and you will see why its important. set up a github account. helps you deal with version control. which is important too. maybe find a friend who programs and the two of you work on the project together. you will find that he may do a code patch and it conflicts with something you did. so now you try to merge and all hell breaks lose. or he may make a change that breaks a new feature you added. so now you can just revert his patch, yours works. and he can go redo what he did so that it works smoothly now. languages should learn, find one scripting language. python is popular. one more hard language like java. and a web language like PHP. and then if it suits your fancy learn a classic language that will pretty much never leave like C/C++ or have some fun and work in MIPS assembly. i had to do mips for one of my CSCI classes and i found it actually really fun to do.

First of all, he asked for some pointers and nobody said something like 0x5334FABC, 0x08FD34DF6 or 0x1377H4C0. (hueueueueue, it's a programmer joke)

On topic though, C# is a great first language to learn. It takes away a lot of the pain you find in lower level languages like C and C++, and focuses more on writing the logic for the program itself. I would recommend you to go make some console applications to get familiar with the language and programming itself.

After that you could look into Unity3D and make little games using C#.

I need help on looking on were to learn to code.  If some of you could please link me to some resources I can use to start to learn coding.  That would be VERY APPRECIATED :D ! 

There are a infinite amount of things that could be done by coding. "Code" it self is just a reference for something. In fact everybody can code! A language is a code, code is used to communicate with one another.

You just used Code to ask us a question.

You can literally do anything by coding. 

Look at the piece of scrap in front of you (under/on top of your table). That crap runs with machine codes, that were programming languages.

What you can make by coding is virtually limitless. Create websites, games, databases, programs. Some even do the most basic games and earn fifty-grand per day. (*cough* Flappy Bird)

I suggest to start with C or C++. Then slowly work your way up to Object-Oriented Programing in C++ or Java. Then it's personal preference from there, wanna code iOS? Learn Swift (or Objective-C). Websites? Learn PHP. Databases? MySQL.

Tips: The first steps is gonna be hard. (I almost gave up) Never let a problem bog you down though - Keep researching, Keep learning. Once you get the hang of it, proceed with the more complex stuff. And do something fun & interesting with codes for awhile to help free your brain from problems.

That!

But I'll give my point as an addition.

Yeah, to know the basics you should start with procedural, then try couple of OOP (C++ with objects, Java, C#, Objective-C) and then you _stop_for_a_second_ to, don't take too long, think what you want to do. Those languages will give you an idea of programming paradigms. Look at Python2.* and 3.*.

If you want to stick with OOP - learn Design Patterns!

Also for iOS I would go with Swift. It is far more pretty than ObjC. And for low-levels there is LLVM compilable languages. BTW, you can code iOS you can stay with C or C++, but you won't be as quick as those Swift guys.

Also be aware that every language has its own idioms.

I need help on looking on were to learn to code.  If some of you could please link me to some resources I can use to start to learn coding.  That would be VERY APPRECIATED :D ! 

Learn? Easy: http://www.stroustrup.com/programming.html

Perfect for beginner.

I've been checking out this interactive site: http://www.codecademy.com/learn

and I'm enjoying it a lot, I feel it's very helpful and has a lot to choose from.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Go to codeacademy and start with python :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020