Did you ever had a PC part die on you?

TheRagingGamer

Motherboard: In a laptop part of it had melted (as in all you saw was melted plastic...  IT STILL TURNED ON, I srsly don't know how. 

GPU: Not me but dad. Brought a new custom PC. Spent $300 on a GPU, couldn't understand why the colours were all werid.... so he got it changed to a new one and bang instant improvement. 

HD: Too many to know better about backing up.

CD/DVD burner: A few years ago i had another laptop and the reader died. I took it in, got told it was a virus so i'll be paying for the "investigation" even had a note saying "female customer has no clue" on the work order written by the staff member. Got it back a week later and got told that the drive died and therefore they had to put in a new one, then got a job offer... i turned it down because it meant working on commission..

Flash drives: Too many, never save all your data to one.

SD cards: Yupp. 

And to top it all off. Tiddles (current PC) has a card reader that doesn't work!

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

My R9 290 died after 5 days, had to RMA and get replacement. 

I've seen a number of HGST (hitachi) hard drives fail in other peoples pre-built PC's.

biggest one is probably headphones, but that's usually my own stupid fault.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I've had a PSU fail (Cisco, my fault for buying), an AIO liquid cooler fail (Antec one, but none of my Zalman, Corsair or NZXT ones have failed yet), a RAM stick fail (dammit Patriot), a GPU fail (way back in 2008, can't even remember the model), and 2 fans fail (Corsair SP120s, although I bought a lot and only 2/10 failed so just bad luck I guess, the rest work fine). I've also had SSDs start misbehaving (not showing on boot etc.) without properly failing, and I had the SATA controller start giving up the ghost in my Alienware m11x to the point where it only boots about 15% of the time so you just have to keep trying till it reaches Windows...

I've seen a number of HGST (hitachi) hard drives fail in other peoples pre-built PC's.

Thats the one that just failed on me... but its external. Im taking it back and seeing if i can exchange it for flash drives, i never want a mech eHD again. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Motherboard: In a laptop part of it had melted (as in all you saw was melted plastic...  IT STILL TURNED ON, I srsly don't know how. 

GPU: Not me but dad. Brought a new custom PC. Spent $300 on a GPU, couldn't understand why the colours were all werid.... so he got it changed to a new one and bang instant improvement. 

HD: Too many to know better about backing up.

CD/DVD burner: A few years ago i had another laptop and the reader died. I took it in, got told it was a virus so i'll be paying for the "investigation" even had a note saying "female customer has no clue" on the work order written by the staff member. Got it back a week later and got told that the drive died and therefore they had to put in a new one, then got a job offer... i turned it down because it meant working on commission..

Flash drives: Too many, never save all your data to one.

SD cards: Yupp. 

And to top it all off. Tiddles (current PC) has a card reader that doesn't work!

I had an ATI card that showed weird colors. Turns out it was blown capacitor, replaced with a solid state capacitor still works till this day 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

My R9 290 died after 5 days, had to RMA and get replacement. 

biggest one is probably headphones, but that's usually my own stupid fault.

I have a hitachi from a pre build that's working after 7 years and has no bad sectors 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

I've had a PSU fail (Cisco, my fault for buying), an AIO liquid cooler fail (Antec one, but none of my Zalman, Corsair or NZXT ones have failed yet), a RAM stick fail (dammit Patriot), a GPU fail (way back in 2008, can't even remember the model), and 2 fans fail (Corsair SP120s, although I bought a lot and only 2/10 failed so just bad luck I guess, the rest work fine). I've also had SSDs start misbehaving (not showing on boot etc.) without properly failing, and I had the SATA controller start giving up the ghost in my Alienware m11x to the point where it only boots about 15% of the time so you just have to keep trying till it reaches Windows...

you had a ram stick fail on you? I didn't even know that's possible 

you had a ram stick fail on you? I didn't even know that's possible 

Well not "fail", but I started having random program crashes, ran memtest and it was showing like 20,000 errors. Removed that stick, 0 errors and 0 program crashes. So yeah it wasn't "dead" but it was incapable of normal operation. If you put that stick in a system programs will just crash as soon as they use any of the memory on it.

My GPU recently died (I think/hope so I can get a newer better one from EVGA's warranty)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My ASRock N68C-GS FX died, my Radeon HD 6570 died (both due to heat and the 6570 had something go "piff"), and my two Socket 478 ASUS boards died from the CPU VRM stuff going kaput.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Never. :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had an very old Athlon x64 died so I had to replace my PC, but that is about it. And my brother had an gpu died on him, but I had an even older one and still works.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Power surge from a lightning about 6-7 years ago,or more,can't tell,burned the gpu,1 ram stick,motherboard and PSU,CPU and hard drives did not die. I was young and dumb and tried to clean the PC with a vacuum cleaner,the PC was also on the carpet,motherboard died taking the GPU with it and that was it. And during the years about 2 other no name PSUs. That old Intel pentium 4 3.0ghz still works to this day,so does the 200gb maxtor drive :D

5x OZC Vertex 2 [after 1mt, 3mt, 6mt, 7mt and 13mt]

2x Asus ROG G73JH [And basically every piece of hardware inside of them, after ~6 months]

1x Asus ROG G73JW

1x Hitachi Desktop 1TB [bUt to be fair, had this HDD for 5 yrs, and it was running 24/7 and Ubuntu (back then) warned me it was going to fail, and I got all the data off of it)]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Nope, nothing, never *glares at anthrax build log*

My ASRock N68C-GS FX died, my Radeon HD 6570 died (both due to heat and the 6570 had something go "piff"), and my two Socket 478 ASUS boards died from the CPU VRM stuff going kaput.

Haha i had that mobo, bought it used for $20 sold it again later fo $15 

Oooh, this was fun.

I had an HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB as a secondary GPU for a while, and one day, it threw flames. I think a MOSFET exploded. No OC, no modifications, nothing. Just *poof*.

Lol, hoping everything else was fine in the computer? I personally want to push my Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB further than 1060MHz. But of course I want to wait until I upgrade everything due to feeling like my motherboard isn't really going to like that.

Also I haven't had a part fail in a long time.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 570. 

Never buy a PNY GPU. I've had just about every PNY video card die. EVERY single one. Even these quadros, which were made for the long haul.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Lol, hoping everything else was fine in the computer? I personally want to push my Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB further than 1060MHz. But of course I want to wait until I upgrade everything due to feeling like my motherboard isn't really going to like that.

Also I haven't had a part fail in a long time.

Yeah, everything else was fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Everything Asus and Corsair I've purchased that I routinely use, they were all on my main system.

K90, M60, and Vengeance 2000s from Corsair

Xonar U7 DAC and two P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboards from Asus. Second was a RMA board and likely was never fixed properly in the first place, they sent me a brand new board after that one failed and it went strait to eBay, I just didn't want to deal with it.

I have 4 other computers with Asus motherboards that are on nearly 24/7 (other than my HTPC) and they have been fine, one of them is 5 years old now.

Other than that a few REALLY old hard drives seemed like the might be unreliable so I quit using them, may have been perfectly fine though, and I have an HP desktop that has had a few motherboards and GPUs replaced in it under warranty, gotta love Sams 5-year extended warranty.  :P I've also had a few motherboards in laptops go out, but I was EXTREMELY hard on them, and can't fault the components for it. I would slept with them a lot, and would wake up sweating from the heat when I pulled the covers over, plus they had been dropped dozens of times each. I'm sure there are a few little things I am forgetting, but overall it is really unlikely to have issues.

My brother had a Thermaltake power supply go out on him, it is only PSU I've ever seen go bad. I even have a few REALLY old 200W PSU's that have been converted for powering random electronics and they are still kicking. A couple of them are nearly 20 years old by now, pulled out of OEM systems that were running Windows 95.

EDIT: Crap... forgot about OCZ SSD's, I've had a lot of those die... stay the hell away.

I have a hitachi from a pre build that's working after 7 years and has no bad sectors 

The ones I've seen go are recent, within past couple years. the 1TB models.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Couple of hard drives over the years, threw a couple more out due to lots of errors. 

The 1TB Hitachi Deskstars were a nightmare indeed.  We called them Deathstars for a reason ...

Also had a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W PSU go so wonky that It would only boot the PC on a hot day or after dozens of attempts (voltage was unstable at lower temps, causing it to reboot after 5 seconds). 

EDIT : Oh, and a 240GB RevoDrive X2 and a 60GB Vertex 2 too. 

My old Hitachi Travelstar died after 3 years

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W