ASUS ready to unleash patent wardogs against its rivals

Looks like ASUS is pulling an Apple. -.- Not sure if I'm going to completely avoid them from now on or not.

Asus didn't come up with it. Intel had that feature on all of it's test boards. Asus just decided to use that feature and say it will help with extreme overclocking. That feature also voids your warranty with Intel which is probably a good thing.

FYI, it was confirmed that the socket doesn't void your warranty. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-oc-socket-warranty-x99,27597.html

Kinda off topic but does someone want to explain how the extra pins even work when the cpus are designed for a certain amount of pins in a certain layout?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

wut? ASUS I thought you were cool?

But seriously If they patented it first it's theirs if they forgot to patent it it's their fault.

I agree that they should focus their attention on customer support I bought my ASUS mobo not for the many features that others don't have but because I know I can trust their products. 

feels like a lot of "their" in the post.

Asus didn't come up with it. Intel had that feature on all of it's test boards. Asus just decided to use that feature and say it will help with extreme overclocking. That feature also voids your warranty with Intel which is probably a good thing.

No it doesn't void the warranty

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So they just added to the socket and called it OC SOCKET, but doesn't the socket belong to Intel, if they are able to patent it, AMD or whatever should be able to do that add some pins and it's yours.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No it doesn't void the warranty

There was a post on the forum last week and the week before that claimed you would loose your warranty. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

There was a post on the forum last week and the week before that claimed you would loose your warranty. 

and if you see thee topic you see it's solved that it's doesn't

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Asus invested a lot of money into researching what the extra pins do, and mapping out their function. they then patented the socket. they then pulled AJ out of cryosleep and racked up millions of air miles flying him around the world to tell everyone about the socket. Asus likely said to other board partners "hey, don't rip off our hard work", and they gave Asus the bird.

What choice does Asus have? In the legal world everything revolves around a single concept: Precedent. If Asus sits back and does nothing, it will give other companies legal precedent to justify ripping off any past, present or future patents of Asus. It's not fair, its just how legal matters play out.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

and if you see thee topic you see it's solved that it's doesn't

I guess I was wrong then but I still don't like how Asus can patent something that they themselves didn't actually create.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I guess I was wrong then but I still don't like how Asus can patent something that they themselves didn't actually create.

but

Asus invested a lot of money into researching what the extra pins do, and mapping out their function. they then patented the socket. they then pulled AJ out of cryosleep and racked up millions of air miles flying him around the world to tell everyone about the socket. Asus likely said to other board partners "hey, don't rip off our hard work", and they gave Asus the bird.

What choice does Asus have? In the legal world everything revolves around a single concept: Precedent. If Asus sits back and does nothing, it will give other companies legal precedent to justify ripping off any past, present or future patents of Asus. It's not fair, its just how legal matters play out.

I get that but the socket belongs to Intel and i guess that motherboards manufactures pay a royalty to Intel, but ASUS added pins and improved it, but if they get the patent shouldn't AMD be able to add some pins to the and say that the socket belongs to them?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Doesn't the pin layout belong to Intel, as if I understood right it's part of the Intel engineering spec for testing.

Yes. It's why people are skeptical and I feel it's more of a scare tactic to reserve a revolutionary part of manufacturing.

Edit: I truly hate when I quote/reply to posts from days/pages ago.

Yes. It's why people are skeptical and I feel it's more of a scare tactic to reserve a revolutionary part of manufacturing.

why?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It's alright I was quoted for a post I made over 2 months ago the other day :P

But yes to my knowledge they're just Intel testing pins to allow for 'up to' 2.1v rather than the standard 1.75v

So probably a scare tactic :P but the only folks that'll care are on hwbot anyway :)

why?

Because your reply is less relevant due to:

- People having responded by the time you get to it (this is true in most cases)

- If people have replied already, all you're doing is spamming their forum inbox, often with notifications of the same information (again, true in most cases)

- Just a general dislike for being the slowpoke.

Because your reply is less relevant due to:

- People having responded by the time you get to it (this is true in most cases)

- If people have replied already, all you're doing is spamming their forum inbox, often with notifications of the same information (again, true in most cases)

- Just a general dislike for being the slowpoke.

I get that, at first I thought your saying my reply is irrelevant, if you saw my face.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They didn't research what the pins did, they asked intel  and intel told them,  there was no need to study or research what they do.  They can't patent the socket because Intel already owns it at if Intel didn't bother to patent the socket they can still show a working prototype/reference.  At best they can trademark the "OC socket" name which uses the extra Vsupply pins on the CPU.

But for intents and purposes what they are suggesting is to patent the use of an existing products features using an existing product.  Do you guys think Intel have these pins there for no reason or that they don't already have a socket that enables the use of those pins?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They didn't research what the pins did, they asked intel  and intel told them

So JJ is a liar, is what you're saying?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So JJ is a liar, is what you're saying?

Basically yes:

I don't generally believe everything PR people say.

some things to consider:

So, Gigabyte can get hold of this same socket, the question is what do those additional pins connect to. If the first possibility stated above is correct, i.e. that these are real additional power, ground etc. pins that allow better and more reliable OC, then Asus has no way to patent these as it directly links to Intel IP including the socket and its validation.

If, however, it is the second possibility, of test, debug or no-connect pins being exposed, then it is a serious marketing rubbish which could be used to deceive the high-end buyers, whom both Intel and its key OEMs, which Asus and Gigabyte  are, surely cherish and treasure. And mind you, this is already in a product on the market, the Asus top end Rampage V Extreme.

Source

I believe it is the first scenario.

If JJ reckons Asus have a right to patent Intel property then he is lying.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Good for ASUS. Now my fanboyism for them is gonna start showing, so I'm gonna leave.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They didn't research what the pins did, they asked intel  and intel told them,  there was no need to study or research what they do.  They can't patent the socket because Intel already owns it at if Intel didn't bother to patent the socket they can still show a working prototype/reference.  At best they can trademark the "OC socket" name which uses the extra Vsupply pins on the CPU.

But for intents and purposes what they are suggesting is to patent the use of an existing products features using an existing product.  Do you guys think Intel have these pins there for no reason or that they don't already have a socket that enables the use of those pins?

you got it wrong, they asked Intel what are these holes/pins for and Intel responded it doesn't matter so they reversed engineered the socket and fined out what these pins do, unless you have evidence saying otherwise you are a liar and J.J is saying the truth.

@Briggsy

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

you got it wrong, they asked Intel what are these holes/pins for and Intel responded it doesn't matter so they reversed engineered the socket and fined out what these pins do, unless you have evidence saying otherwise you are a liar and J.J is saying the truth.

@Briggsy

Do you honestly believe that Intel doesn't know what those pins do?