Upgrade or Not ?

RyanGForce

Hello everyone.

My current rig is: (i've had this PC for 3 years very proud of it)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP_UP3P

CPU: I7 2600k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100I

GPU: GTX 580

RAM: 16GB (4x4) Novatech 1333GHz

PSU: Novatech 750W

SSD: 120GB

Storage: 2x 1TB

Case: Phantom 820

My PC is mainly for gaming.

I would like to upgrade my pc to be able to play the upcoming games in ultra. I currently use a 1080p monitor but would like to upgrade to 1440p in the future.

I am not sure if i should upgrade only the GPU or the entire rig.

Option 1: Only upgrade my GPU (not decided what one yet) : between the new GTX 980 that will come out soon and GTX 780TI

Option 2: Upgrade everything ! I currently have in mind : (I haven't really got a budget but not over the top)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X GAMING 7                )

CPU: I7 4790K                                                                ) or should i look into x99, I7 5xxx, DDR4 ..... ? For gaming i'm not sure if it will give me much more performance.

CPU Cooler: Use my current h100I.                               )

RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz    )

GPU: Same as above not decided yet. Maybe go SLI in the future if needed.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W

SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo Basic 500GB

Case: Use my current one.

Would this build last me at least 2 or 3 years ?

All Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks RYAN

That build would last a while. It looks great! If you feel like it's a good time to upgrade, it probably is.

Just upgrading the GPU wouldn't do a ton, because the CPU is also a bit older as well (Haswell... get it?)

So, I'd say go for it, if you've got the money.

As for the GPU choice, I'd recommend a 780/780Ti, or if you want SLI, maybe put a 770/760 in SLI for similar performance.

Remember that new Nvida chips are around the corner though! But those can be updated later if you want- you could make the build, keep the 580, then upgrade to a new 900-series card.

if you have the money, upgrade to a new rig and keep your current one as like a secondary station maybe?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

you could make the build, keep the 580, then upgrade to a new 900-series card.

Sounds like a good plan.

You have very solid PC even for this day and age. Really the only thing with upgrading is your GPU. I personally would go for one of these:

R9 290

GTX 780

GTX 980

and then you can play whatever at max settings 1080p.

If you feel you cant keep up to modern games then I would suggest changing the gpu.  The rest of the rig doesn't really need to be upgraded.  That cpu will last for at least another generation or 2.

If you are a gamer than I wouldn't suggest x99.  Your not going to get a decent return for your money.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

if you have the money, upgrade to a new rig and keep your current one as like a secondary station maybe?

If i did upgrade i would definitely keep my old rig yes.    

So it seems like the best thing to do is to get a New GPU and see how it performs and go on from there ?

I would like more opinion's please what do you all think is best for me ?