Video Demonstrating Windows 9 Start Menu Functionality

RH00D

@RH00D (OP)

Translation of the video description:

As we know, with Windows 9 (Codename Threshold) Microsoft will bring back the start menu. Having at hand the Windows 9 Technical Preview Build 9834 we can provide information about the exact functionality for the first time. It is certain that the new start menu as well as the start screen known from Windows 8.x are included in Windows 9.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

more like a windows 8.2 for me, well it's just the start menu after all, still wating for more feature

Well yeah, because they screwed up so badly when they removed it :P

Except they didn't.  Win key + typing is more accurate than ever before and is far faster than using the traditional Start Menu.  Also Rightclicking the bottom left corner for the Admin toolset is a blessing.

The Start menu sucked balls and had to go, it's time people realised this.  What actual use does it provide that you absolutely cannot do faster in Metro?

Now if you wanna start discussing pointless irritating Win 8 features then hit upon shit like the Charms bar, not the fact that MS removed an antiquated and slow start menu.

So by the looks of it, this is the best of both worlds - the people who (like me) found the start screen less efficient and slower to use (or otherwise not good) get a start menu that looks to have added functionality over windows 7, while the people who got used to the start screen and were complaining about the possibility of it being removed get to keep their start screen, and neither should be able to be annoyed by the other option. Well done Microsoft, you have finally made changes to the OS that doesn't annoy anyone, and for that you might get my money. As long as the as things like charms go for mouse and kb.

HTTP/2 203

its windows 8.2 but they want to get away from the name.  thing is i think this will have the same problems as win 8 with settings in both the desktop and the metro and windows never knowing where to put you.   i can see alot of disappointed people

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Unfortunately,

4f7c58ab23db9.png

Exactly i feel like everyone is nuts.I mean people who are so excited windows9 = win8 + start menu cause thats all we know so far.

I dont even...

It still looks like it's for old people who don't know how to use anything. 

I'll probably end up installing something to make it look like Windows 7's Start Menu if that isn't an option by default (I hope it is).

I'm never going to use apps as I see no purpose in them in that I prefer programs because they are more Power User oriented.

Apps are programs. Not all programs are apps. Apps are short for application. Games, MS Office, calculator are applications. Applications are end user programs. Programs are all kinds of software. Windows 7 and 8.1 are programs but not apps.

It's like saying "This calculator program is APPLICABLE for doing math so we will call it an application. For short, lets call it an app." It's always been an app but the term Program was popular to use but now the term app is popular. Both are technically correct but the word app applies to a more specific type of program.

-snip-

No. I'm talking about how M$ defines it. Apps on Windows 8 are things I install from the Store, take up the full screen, and such. Programs are things I install via a .exe file that I didn't get from the store and more than likely downloaded. Their folder sorting, how they work, and such show the difference. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Provided the OS ISN'T cloud based, I might care to triple (or quad) boot with Windows 7, Linux and Steam OS at somepoint. Wonder if it will still be a pain the rear to dual boot linux OS'S, like in 8.

What do you mean? You can completely remove and block the cloud from win8/8.1 in a couple seconds.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Muh start button.

Looks like Windows 8.1 with a start button and some new features I doubt I'll use.

Then again I did bag on 8 until I was forced to use it with my laptop and fell in love with it.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Is it just me, or is it sad that we're excited about a company coming out with a feature they had previously had since the beginning?

Actually they haven't had the start menu in since the beginning. The start menu was introduced in the, oh so hated, Windows 95. And if you can believe it, just like with taking it away, people had mixed reactions to it being introduced. Windows 95 was actually the first version of Windows to look like what we know today. A start menu and a task bar being some notable features.

Honestly their reasons for getting rid of it made sense. A lot of users tend to just put links to programs they use a lot on their desktop or pinned to the taskbar. I can't remember that last time I went digging in the start menu to find something. Having it be large tiles for apps you maybe don't use as much or maybe you just want out of the way made sense. You can get to things pretty easy. And if you need to look at all your applications for some reason you can and they're displayed in organized lists on the screen. It's not difficult to use or even navigate. Hell you can even just press the Windows Key, or the start menu button in Win 8.1, and just type the name of the program you need. It's way faster than mousing through the menu actually. It's just different and as time has shown again and again, people don't like what is different. What breaks the norm. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

Actually they haven't had the start menu in since the beginning. The start menu was introduced in the, oh so hated, Windows 95. And if you can believe it, just like with taking it away, people had mixed reactions to it being introduced. Windows 95 was actually the first version of Windows to look like what we know today. A start menu and a task bar being some notable features.

Honestly their reasons for getting rid of it made sense. A lot of users tend to just put links to programs they use a lot on their desktop or pinned to the taskbar. I can't remember that last time I went digging in the start menu to find something. Having it be large tiles for apps you maybe don't use as much or maybe you just want out of the way made sense. You can get to things pretty easy. And if you need to look at all your applications for some reason you can and they're displayed in organized lists on the screen. It's not difficult to use or even navigate. Hell you can even just press the Windows Key, or the start menu button in Win 8.1, and just type the name of the program you need. It's way faster than mousing through the menu actually. It's just different and as time has shown again and again, people don't like what is different. What breaks the norm.

I remember when XP had the new Start Menu, despite having the option to use the old one, it was a disaster. People FREAKED out. People said it took too much room.

In Vista, despite a bit smaller, it was still hating, people continues to complain about it, especially now that you had no option to get the old one back. But people used it, forced to use it, and saw how practice it was, and when Win7 came out: "BEST OS EEEVVVAAARAR!!!!! Perfection at every level!", despite having nothing touched on the Start Menu from Vista to Win7.

No. I'm talking about how M$ defines it. Apps on Windows 8 are things I install from the Store, take up the full screen, and such. Programs are things I install via a .exe file that I didn't get from the store and more than likely downloaded. Their folder sorting, how they work, and such show the difference. 

That's not how MS defines it. If you look at properties of things like Excel or pick any of your programs that you use that are .exe file and it will say that the type is Application

post-5026-0-95197000-1410555443.png

Yes I understand what you were talking about and what most people mean when saying app but that's not that apps are. Applications are ALL end user programs. MS knows this. The term apps was used before there were ever smartphones or tablet apps.

The Modern UI elements still look a bit big and bubbly for my taste, at least to have on the desktop. However this is a great step in the right direction. It looks like it may even be okay for tablet use as well.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

The Modern UI elements still look a bit big and bubbly for my taste, at least to have on the desktop. However this is a great step in the right direction. It looks like it may even be okay for tablet use as well.

I think you should look at the sales number of Windows 7 tablet computers (not the convertible ones). Here is a hint: Huge disaster.

Why? Because you can't use it properly. Trying to navigate through super small menus with your finger that take at least 2 menu items thick, is a mess. It was abysmal, at best.

Go to a store, and go use a Windows tablet, try emptying the recycling bin. I can guaranty you that you'll hit "Pin to Start" instead, or some other item listed, and not "empty Recycling bin". Now image using the Windows 7 start menu. It will be fun when you'll hit "Help" or "Uninstall" or "Visit website" items that program insist in putting on the Start Menu, instead of the program you are trying to do. Oh the fun times, you'll be getting.

Is it just me, or is it sad that we're excited about a company coming out with a feature they had previously had since the beginning?

I am not, I think it is regressive. They took the risk to start something new, but now what? Will it just melt back into a windows 7 environment slowly and leave us with no real progress? Will it continue to be a confusing, directionless mess? I don't think that the Win 8/ Win 8.1 environment was the best option, but I think there can be something much better than windows 7. I was hoping to see them take an honest risk and fully commit to something in Win 9, they obviously won't please everyone no matter what they do. Trying to please everyone is hurting them. I think the idea of one OS and visual style is fine, but having an identical UI is not. Different form factors do need different presentations of content. We figured that with phones and tablets. I understand some people are comfortable with the idea of a "start menu" but my issue is that I don't see the benefit of a start menu to a power user. For someone who is hunting for something but doesn't quite know what that something is, then it's a great resource, but I would rather have something more minimal UI wise that gives me a powerful search feature and a place to pin programs (not on the desktop). Hopefully this menu will actually be more functional in some way, rather than just being a skinned windows 7 menu.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

I think you should look at the sales number of Windows 7 tablet computers (not the convertible ones). Here is a hint: Huge disaster.

Why? Because you can't use it properly. Trying to navigate through super small menus with your finger that take at least 2 menu items thick, is a mess. It was abysmal, at best.

Go to a store, and go use a Windows tablet, try emptying the recycling bin. I can guaranty you that you'll hit "Pin to Start" instead, or some other item listed, and not "empty Recycling bin". Now image using the Windows 7 start menu. It will be fun when you'll hit "Help" or "Uninstall" or "Visit website" items that program insist in putting on the Start Menu, instead of the program you are trying to do. Oh the fun times, you'll be getting.

I get that, but maybe it could check "is this a touchscreen monitor" if so, increase the size of UI elements, otherwise keep them smaller/finer?

I'm not sure. There is a lot of engineering to be done to have an all-in-one OS and sacrifices will be made.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I am not, I think it is regressive. They took the risk to start something new, but now what? Will it just melt back into a windows 7 environment slowly and leave us with no real progress? Will it continue to be a confusing, directionless mess? I don't think that the Win 8/ Win 8.1 environment was the best option, but I think there can be something much better than windows 7. I was hoping to see them take an honest risk and fully commit to something in Win 9, they obviously won't please everyone no matter what they do. Trying to please everyone is hurting them. I think the idea of one OS and visual style is fine, but having an identical UI is not. Different form factors do need different presentations of content. We figured that with phones and tablets. I understand some people are comfortable with the idea of a "start menu" but my issue is that I don't see the benefit of a start menu to a power user. For someone who is hunting for something but doesn't quite know what that something is, then it's a great resource, but I would rather have something more minimal UI wise that gives me a powerful search feature and a place to pin programs (not on the desktop). Hopefully this menu will actually be more functional in some way, rather than just being a skinned windows 7 menu.

Right now, it's not the time to innovate. Windows 10 will probably try again. The reason is that companies will fall into their upgrade cycle as it's been 6 years since Win7.

So right now, Microsoft will do everything it can to please companies. Windows 10, will be when they can try again, or do something else.

Of course, when I say "Windows 10", I mean the Windows that will come out 3 years from Win9.

(sorry if repost, had to share it)

Looks atleast a dozen times better than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, combined.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Pretty sure it's a repost

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Whopppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssss :/

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

I hope that you can change the color of it to something like white

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!