New rules may force online retailers to always ship on time.

bob345

source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6334533/online-retailers-ftc-shipping-rules

"This week, the FTC announced new rules that require online shipment companies to have a "reasonable basis" for their estimated shipping dates, and for them to ship an item within 30 days if no date is set. Helpful, but the kicker is this: if the company misses the shipping date, or doesn't set one and misses the 30-day cut-off, customers must be informed and provide consent for the delay. If the company doesn't receive consent — even if the customer simply doesn't respond — it must automatically refund the purchase. Any time between when the customer consents to the delay and the item ships, the customer can cancel the order for a full refund."

I honestly think that this is a big improvement. The fact that they have to get your consent to ship an item late will help out allot especially if you are expecting something before leaving home for a few days.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well actually this is good new :D 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Sounds great.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what?

this doesnt sound like good or bad news. I have never had a package get shipped 30+ days out. moreover, a company should know if it will be shipping 30+ days out and be able to notify you. this sounds more like some idoit didnt notice that his package was on back order and desided to make a rule about it. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Sounds great for us customers at least

Retailers must think: aww shiiitt

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I've never had a problem with this my self.  Anytime Amazon has missed its shipping times I've complained and they've been good about it.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

what?

this doesnt sound like good or bad news. I have never had a package get shipped 30+ days out. moreover, a company should know if it will be shipping 30+ days out and be able to notify you. this sounds more like some idoit didnt notice that his package was on back order and desided to make a rule about it. 

Yeah the only time I have ever had a package that was close to 30 days was something I ordered from China and chose the cheapest option.

And I doubt this applies to overseas companies, if it does, then lets start buying some Korean panels!

what?

That is only if the company does not set a date. If they say they will ship next day, that means they have to ship next day.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

what?

All of this.

The only reason I get stuff late is because FedEx is filled with idiots that don't know how to ship an envelope or box.

Interesting thought, though the latest I've ever gotten something (that was ordered online) was the blu ray for office space - it was backlogged about a month.

what? this doesnt sound like good or bad news. I have never had a package get shipped 30+ days out. moreover, a company should know if it will be shipping 30+ days out and be able to notify you. this sounds more like some idoit didnt notice that his package was on back order and desided to make a rule about it.

How and why do you think Netflix got started? Reed Hastings was tired of the late fees, and the limited amount of time . . .

All of this.

The only reason I get stuff late is because FedEx is filled with idiots that don't know how to ship an envelope or box.

Still better than USPS

This just means the expected ship date will be alot longer away than it is now. So otherwise it means absolute dick

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Interesting.... I guess the US govt has some reasonable suggestions pass through every once in a while too :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

fucking bullshit, now International shipping will go even further downhill :(

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

All this means is that they have to postmark their packages by a specified date. This isn't really anything new, most places don't guarantee a date shipped by. This has nothing to do with the date that you receive the package. From my experience, the issue is usually with the logistical side, not the company from whom you made your purchase.

I work for UPS and I can tell you what happened last year was not the retailers' fault, it's the shippers'. FedEX had to refuse 35 full trailers of Amazon packages down in Texas alone cause they were way over capacity. UPS was cocky enough to say, "We'll take it! Big Brown can do it!". Then UPS looked like a big spanked ass when we couldn't. UPS is projecting this year's peak season will be about 15% heavier than even last year's numbers. This law isn't going to make progress, it's the shipping companies that need to get in the game.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

This probably means that they're gonna have stricter shipping conditions but now you're gonna pay more for fast shipping or have to wait even longer.

For some reason I have a feeling Amazon is gonna put a spin on this that's so big that it'll be terrible for the consumer. I don't care what Newegg and others do but I'm more worried that Amazon is no longer going to be worthwhile to use, even though at this point I feel I have no other options when it comes to online shopping for anything..

Edit: I do suppose that if Amazon does screw people over like I'm thinking they will (numerous ways for them to), we can see competition recognize these mistakes and either improve their own game or provide something unique that spreads out the sales a bit more evenly.

This could still be alright. I feel sorry for anyone that uses FedEx though.

Still better than USPS

USPS seems to be pretty reliable with their priority packages as long as you have tracking. Fedex has always managed to screw it up for me somehow, like requiring a signature by someone age 21 or older when I was 18 and the shipper did not put a signature confirmation, or sending it to an address I lived at a year ago and not admitting that it went to the wrong place even though the shipper put my current address on the box.

I have no idea how Fedex managed either of those

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

what?

Hardly. A few months ago I ordered my LG 34UM95-P off of an Amazon reseller on the .co.uk site. They listed 5 in stock, and I paid for express shipping. Two weeks later it still hadn't shipped, but they still listed stock.

After a lot of hassle trying to get them to respond to Amazon messages sent to them, they finally got back stating they never had stock, and were waiting at least another week or two for some. I then request they cancel my order, which they confirmed with me, but never gave me my money back.

I ended up with a month of back and forth between them and Amazon claims to try and get my money back. A few days before Amazon claims would have taken action they shipped "something". Which arrived another 2 weeks later, it wasn't the monitor, but because they claimed to have shipped it Amazon decided to wait until it arrived to me to see if it was what I ordered.

Took another week to get back to them after I refused, and then after they had it for days, which tracking confirmed they signed for. They claimed I never sent it back. At that point Amazon finally stepped, it and the ECCI also finally wanted to get involved.

I would heartily welcome such laws here. I think in your case it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Hardly. A few months ago I ordered my LG 34UM95-P off of an Amazon reseller on the .co.uk site. They listed 5 in stock, and I paid for express shipping. Two weeks later it still hadn't shipped, but they still listed stock.

After a lot of hassle trying to get them to respond to Amazon messages sent to them, they finally got back stating they never had stock, and were waiting at least another week or two for some. I then request they cancel my order, which they confirmed with me, but never gave me my money back.

I ended up with a month of back and forth between them and Amazon claims to try and get my money back. A few days before Amazon claims would have taken action they shipped "something". Which arrived another 2 weeks later, it wasn't the monitor, but because they claimed to have shipped it Amazon decided to wait until it arrived to me to see if it was what I ordered.

Took another week to get back to them after I refused, and then after they had it for days, which tracking confirmed they signed for. They claimed I never sent it back. At that point Amazon finally stepped, it and the ECCI also finally wanted to get involved.

I would heartily welcome such laws here. I think in your case it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I don't know about there but here it is a federal crime to advertise one thing and say you can't meet that. Plus, I have amazon prime which guarrentees my package arrival in 2 days. If it doesn't arrive in that time I can recoup potential shipping cost.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I work for UPS and I can tell you what happened last year was not the retailers' fault, it's the shippers'. FedEX had to refuse 35 full trailers of Amazon packages down in Texas alone cause they were way over capacity. UPS was cocky enough to say, "We'll take it! Big Brown can do it!". Then UPS looked like a big spanked ass when we couldn't. UPS is projecting this year's peak season will be about 15% heavier than even last year's numbers. This law isn't going to make progress, it's the shipping companies that need to get in the game.

Get more trucks? Hire more people to drive them?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't know about there but here it is a federal crime to advertise one thing and say you can't meet that. Plus, I have amazon prime which guarrentees my package arrival in 2 days. If it doesn't arrive in that time I can recoup potential shipping cost.

Sadly not here. There's still some work to do for consumers in the EU.

It was a german reseller on the amazon.co.uk site.

Prime also doesn't apply to resellers, here often.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

+1.

For some reason I have a feeling Amazon is gonna put a spin on this that's so big that it'll be terrible for the consumer. I don't care what Newegg and others do but I'm more worried that Amazon is no longer going to be worthwhile to use, even though at this point I feel I have no other options when it comes to online shopping for anything..

Edit: I do suppose that if Amazon does screw people over like I'm thinking they will (numerous ways for them to), we can see competition recognize these mistakes and either improve their own game or provide something unique that spreads out the sales a bit more evenly.

Isn't it common knowledge that Amazon's plan is to undercut and bully everyone else until all other retailers went out of business? They will fuck us all over once there is no other place to buy stuff. Just so you wait.

Amazon = scum

Get more trucks? Hire more people to drive them?

Then let those additional trucks sit and rott for 10 out of 12 months a year.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.