First boot

Felice

I'm going to be booting the PC I've built for the first time this evening.

I've never done this before and have a stack of installation and driver cd's as well as a brand new Windows 8.1 to install.

Are there any guides as to how to do it all and in what order ? 

Press the power button, if it posts then you should proceed to install windows.

There is no order, and don't use the driver disks. Get the latest version from the manufacture website. You might need to install the network driver from a disk, but that's about it.

Also check out Ninite as an easy one-stop solution for all the programs you might need. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

^^^

Because he had a hard drive.

If it posts ?

If it posts ?

POST screen, regular check list that everything is working. Shown right before Windows starts.

If it posts ?

You constructed a PC without knowing what Power On Self Test meant?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

You constructed a PC without knowing what Power On Self Test meant?

Yes

Did you see if it boots to bios before installing everything in your case? ALWAYS DO THAT / watch how to build a pc part 3 by New egg on YouTube , and watch tech uploaded's windows 8.1 install video on YouTube, other than that, good luck.

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

There is no order, and don't use the driver disks. Get the latest version from the manufacture website. You might need to install the network driver from a disk, but that's about it.

Also check out Ninite as an easy one-stop solution for all the programs you might need. 

What? There is an order!

1. OS Install.

2. Chipset Drivers (this way the rest of the drivers know what's there officially)

3. Other core device drivers, Audio, Network, USB, Video.

4. Other Motherboard options, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

5. Motherboard software.

6. User Software.

@Felice, please don't install them randomly or you'll get odd results and certain devices not working right or at all. Then, end up with random blue sceens later.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Always boot into BIOS before windows install (or other OS). Check that BIOS sees your hardware and CPU fan is running correctly. After that you can insert install media and reboot.

You really should watch some videos on first boot if this is absolute first time dealing with OS install and BIOS settings. After you get windows going, drivers and updates are pretty easy part.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You should check that the BIOS is set to AHCI in the SATA settings. Then boot to your windows disk and install. Then drivers

install windows.

Don't listen to this guy.

Install Arch, configure WINE for Windows applications and proceed to install Steam.

Actually, do or don't depending on what your situation with drivers is. But running Linux is superior for gaming if the drivers are there and the games can run on WINE well. The uber-lightweight environment you can configure with Arch allows for noticeable performance increases with lower end hardware, and better stability on the higher end stuff. Linux allows for much more storage and RAM capacities, compared to Windows' 128GB RAM limit. I mean, who can live with less than a half terabyte of RAM in this modern day?

Plus, you can cluster your Arch Linux device with others and assuming your network configuration is decent, enjoy more cores than there is replies in this thread.

Depends whether you want the most from your hardware, really.

Install Arch, configure WINE for Windows applications and proceed to install Steam.

Actually, do or don't depending on what your situation with drivers is. But running Linux is superior for gaming if the drivers are there and the games can run on WINE well. The uber-lightweight environment you can configure with Arch allows for noticeable performance increases with lower end hardware, and better stability on the higher end stuff. Linux allows for much more storage and RAM capacities, compared to Windows' 128GB RAM limit. I mean, who can live with less than a half terabyte of RAM in this modern day?

Plus, you can cluster your Arch Linux device with others and assuming your network configuration is decent, enjoy more cores than there is replies in this thread.

I'm sorry but this is so full of "no."

are you high?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Linux allows for much more storage and RAM capacities, compared to Windows' 128GB RAM limit. I mean, who can live with less than a half terabyte of RAM in this modern day?

a5c606e56e71169fb2d3dc197f982deb.png

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

I agree partially but 128GB is not the max limit for  Windows 7 (at least):

gallery_2145_423_65104.jpg

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

umm... no...

It actually depends on his needs... Sure most Windows programs can run using Wine, but not all of them will run as expected...

Also 128GB RAM limit?? Do you actually think that your average user will ever hit that limit??

Linux is superior for gaming? Compatibility issues mate... There are some games that refuse to run on Wine...

umm... no...

It actually depends on his needs... Sure most Windows programs can run using Wine, but not all of them will run as expected...

Also 128GB RAM limit?? Do you actually think that your average user will ever hit that limit??

Linux is superior for gaming? Compatibility issues mate... There are some games that refuse to run on Wine...

I'm only half serious :)