290M Vs. Upcoming 34UC97

richhobo

So 21:9 resolutions seem to be a very solid investment, especially since I keep seeing more and more of them on the market. With the release of CrossOver's 290M which is around $300 it makes for a very compelling argument to get one. However Lg is suppose to release the 34UC97 which is suppose to be not only curved but with a 1440p resolution (and I read somewhere that it might me 144hz refresh rate??) I'm torn between getting one really nice monitor or going with an eyefinity set up for 3 of the crossover monitors. Has anyone bought the crossover 290M? What are your thoughts on it, i know tek syndicate did a review on them, and he was quite satisfied with them, but they are only 1080p. Does anyone have the 34UM95 (closest thing to the upcoming monitor release?), do you like it, does the 1440p make a huge difference for you? Would love to get your opinions on this idea

Well my friend, go for One screen, it's better IMO. And I am the owner of the LG 34UM95, the soon little brother of the C97, and it's amazing.

It does a HUUUUGe difference to have this higher 1440p. It's really like BIG. I installed it with my complete new rig, so I had to instal Windows, and when you instal it, the resolution is the basic shit one ( with big Icons and all ) I had to put my fucking head more at the back because, it was too big!!

But, the IPS panel, the 21:9, the 1440 make it a one way go, never come back. I will never switch to something different. That's expensive but Dude, that shit make me wet every fucking time. It's more gorgeous than Scarlett joanhson breast. (and boy, that's something)

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

@Hoppa did a review of the LG 34UM95, which I can recommend reading. It is a really good and indeapth review.

Personally i would go for a single monitor. Multi monitor gaming support can be kinda flacky.

I just orderd the AOC u3477Pqu, which uses the same panel as the LG screen. I really look forward to playing with it.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Sounds like one monitor is the way to go. The lg does look frickin sweet, but has anyone heard of any anonuncements of when they're releasing it?

@Hoppa did a review of the LG 34UM95, which I can recommend reading. It is a really good and indeapth review.

Personally i would go for a single monitor. Multi monitor gaming support can be kinda flacky.

I just orderd the AOC u3477Pqu, which uses the same panel as the LG screen. I really look forward to playing with it.

did i see those specs for the AOC correctly? its basically the same thing as the 34UM95 right? with a better stand from what i can tell. Any word on price/ release of it?

did i see those specs for the AOC correctly? its basically the same thing as the 34UM95 right? with a better stand from what i can tell. Any word on price/ release of it?

Yep, they're pretty much the same monitor.

The price (atleast in Denmark) is a bit cheaper than the LG equivalent. The price I paid was about 1000$, but the prices in Denmark are pretty high.

It will be available sometime in end September - start October.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The difference between the LG and the AOC is that the AOC has 1 more USB 3.0 port (LG only has 1, wtf?).  Also, the LG has a hardware LUT whereas the AOC does not.

I'm curious as to whether or not the AOC and Dell Ultrawides will have some of the backlight bleed issues the LG has/had as I believe they all share the same panel.  I know mine had really bad backlight bleed around the bottom corners until I took a plastic library card and popped the bezel out along the bottom.  I wasn't too happy having to do this to a $1000 monitor, but the 21:9 format on a screen at least 34"+ and 1440P minimum is amazing in my opnion.  I may return this and get the curved version when it comes out though.  I'm hoping the curved surface will combat the IPS glow that can be seen when looking to the corners.

I plan on potentially adding two 27" monitors to the sides, mostly for productivity purposes, but may add in eyefinity for the rare chance I have some free time to play a game.