Weird 2xSLI GTX780 performance?

Dojjan

System:

Intel 4790K, delided, LiquidPro on dye and IndigoXtremeXS on IHS and a CoolerMaster Nepton 280L

ASUS Z97-WS

2xASUS GTX780 STRIX 6GB graphics cards on air, running skyn3t-Asus-780-STRIX-OC 80.80.58.00.19 BIOS 32GB

G-Skill 2.66K MHz memory

Getting these numbers approximately regardless if running 1x or 2x cards in the system ...

post-108553-11920_thumb.png

post-108553-0-01213500-1410970362.gif

Forget synthetic benchmarks, maybe that particular benchmark is not using the second card

Is the same happening in games?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

car temps, cpu temps?

Forget synthetic benchmarks, maybe that particular benchmark is not using the second card

heaven supports sli, try that

you remember to turn it on in nvidia settings (although even with one card that would be low)

System:

Intel 4790K, delided, LiquidPro on dye and IndigoXtremeXS on IHS and a CoolerMaster Nepton 280L

ASUS Z97-WS

2xASUS GTX780 STRIX 6GB graphics cards on air, running skyn3t-Asus-780-STRIX-OC 80.80.58.00.19 BIOS 32GB

G-Skill 2.66K MHz memory

Getting these numbers approximately regardless if running 1x or 2x cards in the system ...

Thermal throttling ?

Watching Unigine Valley run, it's kinda uneven in speed, not, jerky, but like an oldschool bike light going up and down in speed kinda smoothly, mostly.

Could it be the PLX chip mucking things up or selection PCIe slot/s? Right now I m running just one card in the first slot and the unevenness is less but still very noticeable.

Watching Unigine Valley run, it's kinda uneven in speed, not, jerky, but like an oldschool bike light going up and down in speed kinda smoothly, mostly.

Could it be the PLX chip mucking things up or selection PCIe slot/s? Right now I m running just one card in the first slot and the unevenness is less but still very noticeable.

post your tempratures for cpu and gpu, or just tell us if it was thermal throttling

Thermal throttling ?

no, temps are contained within 57C-60C

I just ran my Reference 780's at 1200 mhz and 3200 on the memory and i get around 4910 points with same settings, re-flash to stock BIOS and try again, i had issues with my reference 780's when i flashed them as well.

try some in game benchmarks, if its only synth that doesnt perform then its not too bad

GPU-Z says SLi is disabled. Maybe just maybe, ending it may give you a boost in performance.

Or it may burn your house down.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Or it may burn your house down.

No big deal.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

try some in game benchmarks, if its only synth that doesnt perform then its not too bad

The bicycle light-effect isnt showing in game, but I m definately getting FPS hits from time to time and kind of a raw framerate feeling in general. Not a slick, smooth framerate that I would expect from a game with a couple of years under the belt like Tribes Ascend, which really isnt that fancy to begin with either, graphics wise.

From most recent Unigine Valley run with just one card in top slot:

post-108553-0-61493400-1410972140.png

only thing i can suggest is returning to default bios and testing again,

Did you try benching them before flashing to the skyn3t bios?

typically a few frames (1-5) better average with stock bios

What have you tried so far? In a list format would be helpful. 

I'm not that very methodical about this.

On stock bios with no overclock, unigine runs the smoothest for me with less changing video flow speed. It s still very noticeable  and min fps is like 3.6 and average 30+ something with a 1400 unigine score. Thats in SLI! Checking around the net it looks more like I should be atleast twice that score.

I did try overclocking two gpu s in sli on stock bios before skyn3t using Afterburner. No core voltage adjustment obviosuly, but got it to around +250 core clock wihtout unigine acting up. Terrible video flow, randomly changing video speed, at times really jerky, especially in the fades between sceenes where you d think it gotten stuck at times.

With skyn3t bios I bumped vcore to 1,2 and could up core clock to +400 without unigine acting up. Video flow speed change now even more noticeable with scene fades very rugged.

Now I m back on stock bios with no overclock, stumped at the abysmal performance. Tribes Ascend looks and plays pretty much the same as with my HD5770 and the system, OS and boot times etc feels not much more responsive than my old q6600 2.4GHz with 4gb ddr3 and a HD5770. Only difference is that rig set me back a few hundred while this one took $3k

Oh well.

I'm not that very methodical about this.

On stock bios with no overclock, unigine runs the smoothest for me with less changing video flow speed. It s still very noticeable  and min fps is like 3.6 and average 30+ something with a 1400 unigine score. Thats in SLI! Checking around the net it looks more like I should be atleast twice that score.

I did try overclocking two gpu s in sli on stock bios before skyn3t using Afterburner. No core voltage adjustment obviosuly, but got it to around +250 core clock wihtout unigine acting up. Terrible video flow, randomly changing video speed, at times really jerky, especially in the fades between sceenes where you d think it gotten stuck at times.

With skyn3t bios I bumped vcore to 1,2 and could up core clock to +400 without unigine acting up. Video flow speed change now even more noticeable with scene fades very rugged.

Now I m back on stock bios with no overclock, stumped at the abysmal performance. Tribes Ascend looks and plays pretty much the same as with my HD5770 and the system, OS and boot times etc feels not much more responsive than my old q6600 2.4GHz with 4gb ddr3 and a HD5770. Only difference is that rig set me back a few hundred while this one took $3k

Oh well.

You're probably not going to like to hear this, but have you tried reinstalling Windows? That's what I would try.

Maybe uninstall drivers and reinstall.  Also have you tried running from each card separately to make sure they both are actually working?  Also could be a bad sli bridge.

GPU-z says that SLI is disabled, I don't want to seem like a downer buuuut, have you tried flicking the switch in the Geforce drivers to turn SLI on?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Unigine Benchmark supports Quad SLI and CF.

LTT has a thread for it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69448-unigine-valley-benchmark-scores-thread-over-200-submissions/

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Unigine Benchmark supports Quad SLI and CF.

LTT has a thread for it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69448-unigine-valley-benchmark-scores-thread-over-200-submissions/

I know it does, but I would not use synths to measure the performance of my PC

But maybe thats just me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know it does, but I would not use synths to measure the performance of my PC

But maybe thats just me

It's always fun though to see who can overclock the right things to get the highest score.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

It's always fun though to see who can overclock the right things to get the highest score.

If you are into that