New Mousepad?

theduke33w

Real simple question, want to get a new pad but haven't bought one in a long time and I don't know much about mousepads.

Does anyone have a strong opinion on one that is really good?

How much difference is there between mousepads or is just an appearance thing?

Razer goliathus speed edition. Great mousepad

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Steelseries QCK is an excellent mousepad. 

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

Real simple question, want to get a new pad but haven't bought one in a long time and I don't know much about mousepads.

razer goliathus extended yeeeeeeee i have the control edition because i play games that require alot of control lol

If you are someone who plays a lot of games you will notice a difference between mouse pads. The design comes down to your personal preference, the materials will determine the friction etc.

The material used for the surface and the coating on top will determine (to a degree) the precision and friction experienced when using your mouse.

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

Depends on your type of mouse and how you like to use it.

If you're using a laser mouse, then you'll want a harder pad to get the best out of it. An optical mouse is said to benefit from a softer pad, but I've not tested that myself.

You'll also want to chose between a more textured surface for better grip, or smoother cloth for faster glide - this choice depends on your personal style, and I'd recommend trying them out for yourself to get an idea of your needs.

People recommending peripherals to you can only really say "I like this one", rather than making definitive statements of one being better than another. As with keyboard switches and mouse sensors, different users need/want different things.

I use a Corsair MM200 Extended mouse pad, and it works extremely well for my needs - but it may not suit you.

If you know you want to use a quick-glide with an optical mouse, you can look for a smooth, softer pad; but these are general rules of thumb.

Depends on your type of mouse and how you like to use it.

If you're using a laser mouse, then you'll want a harder pad to get the best out of it. An optical mouse is said to benefit from a softer pad, but I've not tested that myself.

You'll also want to chose between a more textured surface for better grip, or smoother cloth for faster glide - this choice depends on your personal style, and I'd recommend trying them out for yourself to get an idea of your needs.

People recommending peripherals to you can only really say "I like this one", rather than making definitive statements of one being better than another. As with keyboard switches and mouse sensors, different users need/want different things.

I use a Corsair MM200 Extended mouse pad, and it works extremely well for my needs - but it may not suit you.

If you know you want to use a quick-glide with an optical mouse, you can look for a smooth, softer pad; but these are general rules of thumb.

I appreciate the response and I know it is such a preference thing, since I have little experience with mousepads I was trying narrow it down.

I currently use an Corsair M65.  As far as game play goes, I have no specific genre.  I play what seems interesting to me.

All that being said, I think just knowing myself I would appreciate a pad with more control than speed.

So you think I should look for something with a harder surface that has texture?

Do you care that much? I mean, do you need to have the best mousepad for every thing you'll be doing? As said above, the QcK is a great option and really cheap.

I have mine for a little more than a year and I have treated it pretty badly and it's still pretty much in perfect shape, for $10 and a pretty big size.

Foldable, washable, resistant and cheap, that's all I need.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Do you care that much? I mean, do you need to have the best mousepad for every thing you'll be doing? As said above, the QcK is a great option and really cheap.

I have mine for a little more than a year and I have treated it pretty badly and it's still pretty much in perfect shape, for $10 and a pretty big size.

Foldable, washable, resistant and cheap, that's all I need.

Your very right, all those things are important.  I don't want to spend a lot on a mousepad, but also don't want to buy something cheap.  I looked at the Qck, looks good :)

As long as the mouse pad you get is simple black one, it should work just fine. If you want more control over speed, then definitely go with a rougher soft pad (like the QcK). Hard pads are pretty much meant for to reduce friction as much as possible.

As long as the mouse pad you get is simple black one, it should work just fine. If you want more control over speed, then definitely go with a rougher soft pad (like the QcK). Hard pads are pretty much meant for to reduce friction as much as possible.

makes sense, thanks

Razer has a great line of hard pads if thats what your into.

I am also throwing my hat in for the Razer goliathus , I have the speed edition.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

QCK or Goliathus

10/10 do not recommend hard pads

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

razer kabuto master race, i only need a tiny mousepad for a high dpi user like me

So you think I should look for something with a harder surface that has texture?

Laser mice typically respond better to harder mats, but it's not going to be some terrible thing if you go with a softer mat (like the Goliathus that people have mentioned). It is just that manufacturers will typically guarantee their best performance ratings on the harder surfaces with laser mice.

Have a play around with this: http://www.razerzone.com/mousematguide/comparison

There are options for control, speed, hard, soft etc in the search section. Some people simply don't like using hard mouse mats. I don't, personally, but then I use a G502 so it's not an issue for me. 

There is a reason why there are so many different types of mouse pad, and it's because people actually do have different requirements, and hardware does work differently on different surfaces. If you can, have a play around at your local store and see which ones you enjoy using. Pick, say, 3-4 you think are good, then buy the one with the texture that best suits your laser mouse.

*edit* It's worth noting that a VERY soft mat can lead to your mouse behaving erratically as the laser will read depressions of the mat as mouse movement.

I have an older Steelseries SX that's been outstanding for tracking, but has problems with condensation if you rest your arm or wrist upon it because of the metal. I've tried a couple soft pads (QcK & MM200) and didn't care for the glide; I'm willing to trade temperature sensitivity for a better (to me) glide. The hard pad has also been easier to maintain and shown no signs of wear.

The Razor Goliath is probably my favorite mousepad. I lost mine tho :(

Not if it works for you. Personally, I'd not spend that much on a mouse pad - but then I do kit out my rigs entirely with Noctuas and a lot of people would say that's not worth it and they'd never spend that on fans. Razer stuff is usually high quality and it's not like you're going to wear it out in a year or two.

Given that you can spend that much going to the movies and grabbing something to eat, it's probably not too much in the long run - if you're not on a tight budget.

Is there somewhere you can try it out? If you like it, and it improves your gaming/computing experience, then it's not at all stupid.

Not if it works for you. Personally, I'd not spend that much on a mouse pad - but then I do kit out my rigs entirely with Noctuas and a lot of people would say that's not worth it and they'd never spend that on fans. Razer stuff is usually high quality and it's not like you're going to wear it out in a year or two.

Given that you can spend that much going to the movies and grabbing something to eat, it's probably not too much in the long run - if you're not on a tight budget.

Is there somewhere you can try it out? If you like it, and it improves your gaming/computing experience, then it's not at all stupid.

Unfortunately I don't know of any place near by that I can test any mouse pads.  Apart of me does want to splurge and buy it even though I know its overkill and I probably won't notice much difference.  I also like the subtle style, it pulls some weight with me.

Apart of me does want to splurge and buy it even though I know its overkill and I probably won't notice much difference. 

You only live once. And who knows, you may notice lots of difference. I had a generic mouse mat for a while that I picked up from staples and I switched to a proper mat and good god did it make a difference.

You only live once. And who knows, you may notice lots of difference. I had a generic mouse mat for a while that I picked up from staples and I switched to a proper mat and good god did it make a difference.

thanks for the support, I will pick it up and give it a try!

thanks for the support, I will pick it up and give it a try!

Just remember; if you don't like it, I was never here.....