Choosing a new Mouse? New Mouse Guide

Considering buying a new mouse? Then read on...

I've noticed that there are lot of people looking for advice on new mice. Everyone has their own opinion as to what mouse is the best however people tend to blurt out a particular mouse without asking questions about it's intended use / grip type.

I won't be trying to sell you any one particular type of mouse - this topic is to help you with your research and come to an informed decision on your own.

Most of the examples I use will be of gaming mice, although you may still find it useful to read the article anyway even if you aren't looking for a gaming mouse.

My advice would be to think about these points:
1) Comfort in your hand & grip
2) 
Intended use

3) Reliability and build quality

4) After sales support

5) Aesthetics & Design
6) Price

7) Software
8) FAQ

1) Comfort in your hand & grip

The last thing you want is an uncomfortable mouse, especially as a gamer. Based on the grip you use when holding a mouse & the ease of access to the buttons on the mouse. Different mice may be suitable for different types of grip.

a ) Palm Grip:
Characterised  by the heel of the palm being used to grip the mouse. Not so good for people with large hands 
(though the Func MS-3 may suit.)
Generally I would go for an ergonomically designed mouse like the G500, G700 and the Deathadder.

b ) Claw Grip:
Characterised by large arch shape that the fingers make to press buttons.

Generally I don't use the claw grip for any length of time but the Logitech G9X and Sensei seemed the best.

c ) Fingertip Grip:
Characterised by using just fingertips to grasp the mice. Perhaps best used by people with large hands.

In my experience, the best mice for the Fingertip grip are small light mice.

I.e. Logitech G100, Roccat Pyra, GX-Gaming Maurus, Steel Series Kinzu v2, Razer Abyssus.

A good topic that highlights and goes into more detail on the types of grips available can be found here: 
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/101077-mouse-grips-palm-claw-and-fingertip-what-style-should-you-use/

2) Intended use:
For MMORPG's consider a mouse with more buttons, for professional FPS play consider in-built features that aid in-game performance (i.e. Steel Series Sensei.) Generally you won't ever need a ridiculously high DPI. You may obviously prefer a wireless or wired mouse. See the FAQ below.

3) Reliability and build quality
For this one you really need to see a review on the individual product. Linus' Youtube page and this forum is a great place to start :). Be sure you use the forum's search function before posting a new topic, someone may have already asked the same question!

4) After sales support 
Mice do break, pick one with a good warranty / support service. It may be a horrible generalisation but in my experience larger gaming companies sometimes  provide better after-sales support. There are many notable exceptions to this so do research the company. 
In my experience Logitech have always had great after sales support. 

5) Aesthetics & Design
This is really down to your own personal preference. There are a lot of people with their own ideas as to what mouse looks best so you really have to make that decision for yourself! Do consider the practicalities of more unique designs i.e. if it's shaped oddly then it's more likely it'll be uncomfortable when compared to more traditional designs.

6) Price

This one is pretty obvious - select a mouse to fit your budget. In addition note that just because it's more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Be sure to look at the above points before handing over money on an expensive mouse that either doesn't feel good in your hand or doesn't have the features you need. 
Most companies release a range of mice to suite a variety of different price points, features and ergonomics.

7) Software

Most mice now come bundled with software to use in tandem with your mouse i.e. Razer Synapse. This software can be used to customise both the mouse design (i.e. lighting) or it's features (i.e. sensitivity.) 
You should look into the software packages that come bundled with the mouse as some are definitely better than others. You don't want to be stuck with a sub-par way of customising your new mouse :).

8) FAQ

a ) Where do I start looking for a new mouse now?
A good place to start would be on Linus Tech Tips Youtube channel and here on the forum. 

b ) What are some of the mice manufacturers I may look for?
There are many many different mice manufacturers, these are simply a few examples: CoolMaster, Roccat, Razer, Steelseries, Logitech. 

c ) Optical or Laser?
This is a huge topic for debate and I'd recommend doing some research into this if you want to. I prefer Laser. Why? All the mice I've used in the past are laser :).

d ) Mouse mats

There are various mouse matts out there which offer a variety of different resistances and are suited to different mice. Make sure you do consider the best mouse matt for your mouse.

e) Wired or wireless?
Apart from the obvious difference between the two there are several things to consider. Are the batteries in the wireless mouse in-built or likely to need replacing? Does the wireless mouse have input lag (most gaming ranges don't)? Will the drag caused by a wired mouses cable be an issue (consider a mouse bungee)? Is the cable braided (adds durability)?

f)  Why don't I need a mouse with a huge DPI?

Having a higher DPI does not mean your mouse sensor is more accurate. Having played Battlefield professionally I can safely say if you want improved accuracy you should be using a low DPI of around 400 - 600. This does depend on your play style but you shouldn't need a mouse with more than 6400 DPI (unless you have a reason to.)

g)  I'm feeling geeky - anywhere I can get more information?

The following address is a great place to find out more detailed information  when choosing a new mouse:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

This is a work in progress so I'd be happy to add to it if anyone else has any suggestions!

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I did find that guide although it seems to solely focus on the grip type which I find to only be one consideration when choosing a mouse.

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

Nice guide, but please fix this for the dark theme :D

Thanks :D. What's happening when you view it on the dark theme? Formatting issues?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0 is still the most informative imho.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

What's happening when you view it on the dark theme? Formatting issues?

A lot of the text is dark, so its hard to read against the dark background

A lot of the text is dark, so its hard to read against the dark background

Oh okay thanks. I've changed the colour, is that better or worse haha x). 

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0 is still the most informative imho.

A very useful thread but perhaps a bit ott for some novice users (who tend to be the ones posting for advice on their mice on here and haven't done the above research for themselves.) I have updated the FAQ with a link for more in-depth information - thanks!

Oh okay thanks. I've changed the colour, is that better or worse haha x). 

Yeah that's better. I always find its easier to just leave the text colour as automatic personally :D

Yeah that's better. I always find its easier to just leave the text colour as automatic personally :D

Yeah I won't mess with it next time :) 

I generally use Fingertip Grip, as sometimes use the claw grip. The Razer Abyssus is to big for me - as i have really small hands, and i need a rest for my ringfinger (like the small edge the abyssus has). The reason for it is, that it is paralyzed to a certain degree, due to playing a lot of drums before the age of 5.

I mainly use it for Starcraft II (Semi-Professional in Korea), and sometimes for Mobas or wannabe FPS (Borderlands...)

Most of the time i use around 1800 dpi, so i won't need some absurd amount of that.

I need a really reliable mouse. If it is wired or not doesn't really matters to me, i have played WC3 with one of the first wireless mice and never had any problems, despite being rank 120 at a time in KR.

i don't really care about asthetics and design, most important thing is that there is a rest for my ringfinger on the mouse - and that it isn't too big for me

Price doesn't matter - because chances are really high i get it sponsored. Most important thing is, that it'll ship to germany, as i study there atm.

Laser or Optical - difficult question. I really don't care, as long as the mouse have the requirements from above i am ok. Mouse mat will be a Razer Goliathus Grip Edition and a Steelseries QXC, depending on my location.

Hope you can help me ;)

I generally use Fingertip Grip, as sometimes use the claw grip. The Razer Abyssus is to big for me - as i have really small hands, and i need a rest for my ringfinger (like the small edge the abyssus has). The reason for it is, that it is paralyzed to a certain degree, due to playing a lot of drums before the age of 5.

I mainly use it for Starcraft II (Semi-Professional in Korea), and sometimes for Mobas or wannabe FPS (Borderlands...)

Most of the time i use around 1800 dpi, so i won't need some absurd amount of that.

I need a really reliable mouse. If it is wired or not doesn't really matters to me, i have played WC3 with one of the first wireless mice and never had any problems, despite being rank 120 at a time in KR.

i don't really care about asthetics and design, most important thing is that there is a rest for my ringfinger on the mouse - and that it isn't too big for me

Price doesn't matter - because chances are really high i get it sponsored. Most important thing is, that it'll ship to germany, as i study there atm.

Laser or Optical - difficult question. I really don't care, as long as the mouse have the requirements from above i am ok. Mouse mat will be a Razer Goliathus Grip Edition and a Steelseries QXC, depending on my location.

Hope you can help me ;)

I would recommend the Logitech G9x because it's good for people with slightly smaller hands but it looks like it's been discontinued. While I haven't used the mouse personally the G502 (wired) G602 (wireless) seems to have very high reviews, perhaps worth a look? It's also got a little ridge along the middle like you described and you can customise some of the settings to suit the mouse matt surface  :). Hope that helps?

I would recommend the Logitech G9x because it's good for people with slightly smaller hands but it looks like it's been discontinued. While I haven't used the mouse personally the G502 (wired) G602 (wireless) seems to have very high reviews, perhaps worth a look? It's also got a little ridge along the middle like you described and you can customise some of the settings to suit the mouse matt surface  :). Hope that helps?

wow the logitech g9x really looks good. I don't know if the G502 and the G602 are something for me. They look quite big.

Thx for the help ;)

wow the logitech g9x really looks good. I don't know if the G502 and the G602 are something for me. They look quite big.

Thx for the help ;)

If you can't find the G9x then CM Storm Spawn is pretty similar but the Spawn also has a "flawless" optical sensor (requires firmware update though).

Thx for the help ;)

No problem :).

If you have large hands AND want to palm grip, there IS a mouse that will allow it: the Func MS-3.

And you need to factor software into this. The Thermaltake Tt eSports Theron for example, is god tier mostly on account of its amazing software. (Good for claw grip, btw, also great build quality)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If you have large hands AND want to palm grip, there IS a mouse that will allow it: the Func MS-3.

And you need to factor software into this. The Thermaltake Tt eSports Theron for example, is god tier mostly on account of its amazing software. (Good for claw grip, btw, also great build quality)

I've updated the topic with that, thanks for the input :D

hey, i dont really want to make a new thread about this so ill ask here, would you recommend the steelseries rival to someone who has pretty small hands? (small to the point where i can palm grip the razer taipan)

hey, i dont really want to make a new thread about this so ill ask here, would you recommend the steelseries rival to someone who has pretty small hands? (small to the point where i can palm grip the razer taipan)

Sure. 

I've not actually used the Rival myself but according to what I've read it has full rubber sides that should make it useable with most grips. As to the size, it's around 10mm bigger in both length, width and height when compared to the taipan. I hope that helps :)

Sure. 

I've not actually used the Rival myself but according to what I've read it has full rubber sides that should make it useable with most grips. As to the size, it's around 10mm bigger in both length, width and height when compared to the taipan. I hope that helps :)

thanks! now i have to decide between the corsair m45 and the steelseries rival, my favorite grip is the palm, and i really want customizable leds on my mouse. i think ill go with the rival though

also i kinda started to get used to the claw grip thanks to my razer taipan, so i also have the choice to get a razer abyssus as well