Four Zotac Titan Blacks or one PNY K6000 for workstation build?

Izaya Orihara

So I'll be bulding a crazy workstation for a client (Atleast I've got the request but I may turn It down as I don't seem to know enough about professional grade hardware, GPUs in particular to make an elaborate decision. I mean this would be a 10k + build so that's quite a bit of money) (Dual 12 core Xeons, 128 GB DDR4 reg ECC ram ...)  and I was wondering what would be better four Titan Blacks or one PNY K6000? 

He uses cinema 4D, after effects, Element 3D and edits 4k video professionally. 

So yeah. Four Titan Blacks for 3300€ or a K6000 for 3800€? 

How about you send me the computer with the 4 titan blacks and the K6000, and I'll test it and see what is better. ;)

unless they use applications that can take advantage of quadros or require quadros I'd say the titans...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

K6000.

I had to build a slightly lower-end workstation than that for a client recently who wanted a Titan over a Quadro. I was like man, you will have better performance in your work with a Quadro, ignore the names, lolol.

What you could also do is look up those software suites and see what GPU's that they recommend for users, which is what I did. I'm 99.9999999% sure you'll find that going with a Quadro should be no-brainer.

Not sure if trolling or not, but if its a true workstation, get the Quadro.

Not trolling. As I stated.

I may turn It down as I don't seem to know enough about professional grade hardware, GPUs in particular to make an elaborate decision. I mean this would be a 10k + build so that's quite a bit of money

Two r9 295x2 instead of 4 titans , otherwise go for the quadro(x2)

Details separate people.

Two r9 295x2 instead of 4 titans , otherwise go for the quadro(x2)

this isn't gaming lol, cuda could make the bigger difference over openCL depending on the software being used here.

Blog_K6000_Graph.jpg

It's hard to find benchmarks, but 4 titan blacks will definitely outperform a single k6000.

Unless he needs 10bit colour output, the titan blacks will be way faster at rendering, and will be compatible for hardware acceleration in more programs than a quadro.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

K6000.

I had to build a slightly lower-end workstation than that for a client recently who wanted a Titan over a Quadro. I was like man, you will have better performance in your work with a Quadro, ignore the names, lolol.

What you could also do is look up those software suites and see what GPU's that they recommend for users, which is what I did. I'm 99.9999999% sure you'll find that going with a Quadro should be no-brainer.

this, cheeking which programs benefit from which cards is a good way to start

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's hard to find benchmarks, but 4 titan blacks will definitely outperform a single k6000.

Unless he needs 10bit colour output, the titan blacks will be way faster at rendering, and will be compatible for hardware acceleration in more programs than a quadro.

That's a benchmark test though. I don't know about every single application, but not all of them will use SLI.

Don't some workstation programs actually require you to use Quadro? Linus mentioned it in one of his Workstation Build videos.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630

That's a benchmark test though. I don't know about every single application, but not all of them will use SLI.

Oh you're right...forgot about SLI

In that case get the quadro.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So I'll be bulding a crazy workstation for a client (Atleast I've got the request but I may turn It down as I don't seem to know enough about professional grade hardware, GPUs in particular to make an elaborate decision. I mean this would be a 10k + build so that's quite a bit of money) (Dual 12 core Xeons, 128 GB DDR4 reg ECC ram ...)  and I was wondering what would be better four Titan Blacks or one PNY K6000? \

It depends what he uses to render the scene in C4D. Certain renderers like iRay and Octane can just brute force renders and make use of multiple GPUs to provide quick renders.

And the GPUs would help in managing scenes that are extremely complex.

That benchmark doesn't use SLI lol.
SLI is pretty much just for games, you can use multiple graphics cards in workstation applications without it.
They make use of the rendering power of each individual graphics card.
And Octane Render benchmark is a benchmark using a GPU renderer that is available on the market to render 3D scenes on the GPU rather than on the CPU.
It accurately represents how you can expect that renderer to perform in C4D so no it isn't just "a benchmark test."
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

That benchmark doesn't use SLI lol.

They make use of the rendering power of each individual graphics card.
And Octane Render benchmark is a benchmark using a GPU renderer that is available on the market to render 3D scenes on the GPU rather than on the CPU.
It accurately represents how you can expect that renderer to perform in one of the programs listed above, C4D, so no it isn't just "a benchmark test."

So the applications the OP listed will take advantage of multiple Titans?

So the applications the OP listed will take advantage of multiple Titans?

I know C4D would for the viewport, and it might help with rendering if he has a GPU based render-er.

I'm pretty sure AE would benefit from them as well, not sure if AE scales as well though.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

So I'll be bulding a crazy workstation for a client (Atleast I've got the request but I may turn It down as I don't seem to know enough about professional grade hardware, GPUs in particular to make an elaborate decision. I mean this would be a 10k + build so that's quite a bit of money) (Dual 12 core Xeons, 128 GB DDR4 reg ECC ram ...)  and I was wondering what would be better four Titan Blacks or one PNY K6000? 

Might want to tweet @edzelyago (@dezeltheintern), he has a system with 3 or 4 Titan (blacks) with a 24 core Xeon.

Linus Sebastian said: