AMD APU's and DDR4

With the given advantages of high speed ram being used with APU's, will the next generation of AMD APU's and DDR4 be a killer combination?

Never relate something that goes in an AMD Socket, and quality...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

amd isn't going to be picking up ddr4 for a loooooooooooong time 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Never relate something that goes in an AMD Socket, and quality...

Oh boy, another blind AMD hater.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

No because

1) AMD is not going to have a platform that supports DDR4 for at least 3-5 years

2) Anyone buying a cheap budget APU cannot afford DDR4

3) DDR4 will not bring a huge improvement to the APU's capabilities

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No because

1) AMD is not going to have a platform that supports DDR4 for at least 3-5 years

However, if AMD is going to implement DDR4 in about 3-5 years, don't you think that DDR4 will be around the same price our DDR3 is? Just a thought I had.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

However, if AMD is going to implement DDR4 in about 3-5 years, don't you think that DDR4 will be around the same price our DDR3 is? Just a thought I had.

In 5 years it will probably drop in price to equal or a little above current DDR3 prices.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In 5 years it will probably drop in price to equal or a little above current DDR3 prices.

Yea, that's what I meant. I was trying to get across that reason #2 isn't really a good one.

The APU will get an increase in performance due to DDR4 having high MHz. But how much we can't know until there are benchmarks out and I don't see AMD adopting DDR4 anytime soon.

No because

I doubt that, from what I know Carrizo ( APU AMD plans to release next year) if suppose to support DDR4. It would be far beyond stupid for AMD to NOT support DDR4 with there next architecture.

I think the idea there is that ddr4 is expensive right now and making an APU that supports DDR4 would be counterproductive even for AMD unless they plan on being the ones to push for lower DDR4 Prices. They probably don't have enough of the market share or enough money for that to be a smart move. The FX series would make more sense, but even then, you might as well go with x 99.

Well true, but do you really think DDR4 prices will stay the same for that long? For the cheapest 4 GB stick I could find on newegg was $50 while the cheapest 4 GB DDR3 stick was $37 obviuosly cheaper, but really only by $13, and prices WILL come down, so I really have no doubt by next year when AMD is about to release Carrizo DDR4 will be cheap enough for it to be used in an APU system.

Well true, but do you really think DDR4 prices will stay the same for that long? For the cheapest 4 GB stick I could find on newegg was $50 while the cheapest 4 GB DDR3 stick was $37 obviuosly cheaper, but really only by $13, and prices WILL come down, so I really have no doubt by next year when AMD is about to release Carrizo DDR4 will be cheap enough for it to be used in an APU system.

AMD roadmap shows Carrizo still using DDR3. There won't be any massive bandwidth improvements by switching over to the DDR4 until frequencies rise. AMD really needs to implement HBM (128 GB/s bandwidth) on chip and then their APU's will dominate in budget gaming. HBM is actually more cost effective than L3.

APUs are slow as shit and faster memory won't make them compute any faster...gpu's are using GDDR5 BTW which is A LOT faster than the fastest DDR4 and lot more bandwidth.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

APUs are slow as shit and faster memory won't make them compute any faster...gpu's are using GDDR5 BTW which is A LOT faster than the fastest DDR4 and lot more bandwidth.

If AMD implements HBM on package we are talking 128 GB/s of bandwidth for the iGPU. Couple 512 GCN streams with that much bandwidth and you're dominating anything at HD 7750 performance and below in the gaming market. Personally I don't see this happening until after K16 makes its name known.

If AMD implements HBM on package we are talking 128 GB/s of bandwidth for the iGPU. Couple 512 GCN streams with that much bandwidth and you're dominating anything at HD 7750 performance and below in the gaming market. Personally I don't see this happening until after K16 makes its name known.

That's a LOT of IF to ''dominate'' a last gen outdated low-end GPU IMHO! ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Back on the topic a bit, it looks like AMD isn't making a new move until 2016 http://www.kitguru.net/components/apu-components/anton-shilov/amd-to-keep-fm2-socket-till-2016-no-ddr4-for-amds-chips-next-year/ 

I, personally, think it's because they're developing something while using the time to monitor DDR4's pricings, once Skylake comes out, they probably will observe that and launch a... "counterattack" in 2016. But for now, it seems like AMD is letting Intel pushing it for another year. If AMD's 2016 CPU plan is more than competitive, it'd be a very welcome move so Intel can get more or less threatened. (AMD is doing well on the budget-scene, though)

Right now there is no real improvement over DDR3, so then there wouldn't really be that much of a performance difference.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

amd's in a huge rut rn imho, theyre far behind and they chose a bad time to slack off, theyre letting intel steal the show with their new cpu's

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

OK a lot of you guys are forgetting the target audience of the APU, they are for budget / casual gamers where ddr4 price is a major factor, for the short term.

Looking forward, it will be a while before these GPUs can actually take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

Personal take:

AMD is really struggling to find its place in the CPU market. Although they have managed to stay afloat because of their console and GPU business, their CPUs make sense to buy only in very specific situations.

Here's what I think will happen:

Amd will continue with the APUs as they are and in a couple of generations apply their knowhow from the ps4 and we get truly budget gaming PCs. In conjunction with steamos or just steam on Windows we get good performance for most games at 1080p and it starts to only make sense to buy a GPU if you want 4k. Therefore amd now brands itself more like the gaming company.

If this works out, I see amd resurrecting the FX processors WITH ddr4 support (around 2017 late) and no gpu to go against whatever -e lineup Intel has at the time

*since I have not heard of any gddr5 dimms we might actually see fully bga solutions with everything soldered on

**I'm no fortune teller, it's just my guess considering the position of AMD today

Considering the difference that going from 1600Mhz RAM to 2133Mhz RAM makes for the iGPU on APU's logic would dictate that using DDR4 with it's higher speeds would greatly benefit APU's. That however is quite a long way off. But by the time that happens DDR3 will no longer be the norm and prices for DDR4 would have dropped to DDR3 levels thus making a DDR4 capable APU feasible. In fact if the improvement in iGPU performance when using faster RAM increases like it does now then DDR4 will actually make APU's the go to chips for low cost gaming systems as long as the chips themselves remain relatively inexpensive.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299