Case Side Panel Idea! Will it be worth it?

Dive5885
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

So would you say to intake and pull air in or pull the air out ?

I can put 120mm fans on the side instead of the 95mm. 

But I didn't have any on hand.

In. Reference cards intake with that one fan and blow hot air out from back. More fresh air, cooler they run. And with lower fan speeds.

So I have enough room  on my side panel to add two 95mm Fans to Pull air in or Pull air out.

Question is will it really help ?

I will have 2 7950 Refrence cards in my case so I was thinking it would be a good to add them to pull the hot air out of the case or vice versa.

All Opinons welcome!

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

it will push inside the case and no not much of a help

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

it will push inside the case and no not much of a help

What about flipping them to pull the hot air out ?

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

What about flipping them to pull the hot air out ?

And where is the point?hot air is going up is not much they can pull out.at least if they push they will push cold air on those gpu's

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

And where is the point?hot air is going up is not much they can pull out.at least if they push they will push cold air on those gpu's

Side panel fans can make a pretty big difference for temps... I had put a side fan on my N200 before replacing it and my 780 w/ acx cooler's temps dropped a about 7ºc at load. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Side panel fans can make a pretty big difference for temps... I had put a side fan on my N200 before replacing it and my 780 w/ acx cooler's temps dropped a about 7ºc at load. 

So would you say to setup the fans to pull cold air in ?

It doesn't hurt to try. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You want side fans to be exhaust.

Refer to OC Dave's Air Cooling Guide if you have any questions.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Referring to that guide (which I don't agree as far as lower sidepanel fan goes) with reference cards side intake is better. As for using ACX styled coolers I personally think side intake is still better. But it also depends where card is and how fan place is located.

Anyway, using under 120mm fans isn't gonna help that much. They will make difference but only if you are having troubles with cooling in first place. My own tests show that case fans provide more to fan speeds than actual temps. Difference between passive and active side cooling isn't noticeable.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Referring to that guide (which I don't agree as far as lower sidepanel fan goes) with reference cards side intake is better. As for using ACX styled coolers I personally think side intake is still better. But it also depends where card is and how fan place is located.

Anyway, using under 120mm fans isn't gonna help that much. They will make difference but only if you are having troubles with cooling in first place. My own tests show that case fans provide more to fan speeds than actual temps. Difference between passive and active side cooling isn't noticeable.

Well Here's a picture so you can see how close the cards would be. 

The cards haven't came in yet but I outlined where they would be.

The picture with side panel and fans was to show you that right behind the fans would be the graphic cards. 

post-68968-0-26825000-1410967934_thumb.j

post-68968-0-97541000-1410968054_thumb.j

Well Here's a picture so you can see how close the cards would be. 

The cards haven't came in yet but I outlined where they would be.

The picture with side panel and fans was to show you that right behind the fans would be the graphic cards. 

Oh, I see. Those would give you boost in cooling. Not much but some.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh, I see. Those would give you boost in cooling. Not much but some.

In. Reference cards intake with that one fan and blow hot air out from back. More fresh air, cooler they run. And with lower fan speeds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not with reference coolera

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Not with reference coolera

Whoops, didn't see that he was using reference.  Up too late and not paying attention.  For card with say ACX Cooling, you definitely want it as exhaust because the ACX Cooler blows lots of hot air down and around your chassis, not exhausting it like a reference card.  That hot air needs a place to escape, which is why exhaust is so good with a cooler like the ACX.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Whoops, didn't see that he was using reference. Up too late and not paying attention. For card with say ACX Cooling, you definitely want it as exhaust because the ACX Cooler blows lots of hot air down and around your chassis, not exhausting it like a reference card. That hot air needs a place to escape, which is why exhaust is so good with a cooler like the ACX.

What would you say for Asus direct cu (not II)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm not familiar enough with how that cooler works to give a good answer. 

If you own that GPU, a simple test you can run is remove the side panel and see if temperatures drop by a considerable amount, also put your hand on the side of the GPU while it is under load and see if there is a blast of hot air.

My ACX Cooler blasts lots of hot air out of the side of the GPU, which in turn, goes into the case with the side panel on.  When I removed the side panel, instant temperature drops of 11C.  This is just by running Unigine Heaven.

I'm not familiar enough with how that cooler works to give a good answer.

If you own that GPU, a simple test you can run is remove the side panel and see if temperatures drop by a considerable amount, also put your hand on the side of the GPU while it is under load and see if there is a blast of hot air.

My ACX Cooler blasts lots of hot air out of the side of the GPU, which in turn, goes into the case with the side panel on. When I removed the side panel, instant temperature drops of 11C. This is just by running Unigine Heaven.

Right, I could test it. Right now my GPU is on RMA.

Right, I could test it. Right now my GPU is on RMA.

=(

My GPU just got back from RMA with EVGA.  Man were they FAST.  Total turnaround time from me sending it to them to getting it back was 9 business days.  Impressive.

My new GPU is so much better too.  The old GPU couldn't do anything over +50Mhz on the core, even if I added voltage or memory, it would either crash or cause artifacts.  Old GPU's ASIC Quality = 63.1%.

New GPU = ASIC Quality of 77.3%!  It does +100 on the Core and +250 on Memory without adding any voltage!  The new card does run more hot though, by 5-7C, but no where near dangerous levels.

Since it is open air, exhaust. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III