Samsung Chromebook: The Chromebook that NOBODY should own

flibberdipper

I figured it's about time I did a review on this thing. So, time for the shitstorm.

DSC_0028-2.jpg

samsXE303C12_6.jpg

INTRO

I've been using this for about a year now, and even though it isn't mine (it's the school's), I have tinkered around quite a bit with it, and messed around with it a lot. But not everything is lolipops and roses.

GENERAL PERFORMANCE

Dear god... This this is slow as hell. That "less than 10 second boot time" claim is a load of shit. I timed it and got 15 seconds to login screen, and an extra 5-10 for it to log me in and be usable. The OS is fairly responsive, but it still has some troubles when you have multiple things open. I've run out of RAM more than once, and tabs load PAINFULLY slow. Not even because of my internet, just because of how slow the processor is in this Chromebook.

GAMING PERFORMANCE

Alright, so they aren't real games. They're Chrome Apps and flash games. Look up SWOOOP. Great game, and when it does play it, it does so at around 50 FPS. With the latest Chrome OS update (version 37) it won't even run since I need a WebGL compatible browser... What? YOU WORKED FINE WITH VERSION 35.

MULTITASKING PERFORMANCE

Again... REALLY slow. Loading multiple tabs was a pain in the ass, and it always had issues with it. The little "tab loading" animations were choppy and jittery, and the tabs just kinda slowly pulled up as they wanted. My netbook with Firefox beat it loading the same tabs, and it has less power in the browser benchmarks. And when you were scrolling through a tab while another one was loading in the background, the tab you're scrolling through gets jittery (and due to the way Chrome/Chrome OS loads tabs) will get blurry or even go to the checkerboard pattern.

BUILD QUALITY

Again, complete shit. The laptop flexes more than anything else I have ever seen (more than my friend's Chromebook, which is just a touch bigger and is from another company), and everything about it is crap. The plastic door over the SD card reader? Broke in less than a month, with me hardly using it. Plastic above the headphone jack? Clean crack within a month with frequent use. Plastic around the screen? It's held on by snaps and some glue, and that cracked when the tech guys at my school replaced the screen. When you type the laptop flexes a little. Hell, you can bend the Chromebook and click the touchpad... And the best part? The letters on the outside of the screen that spell Samsung all fell off within a month of use.

SCREEN

The screen was nothing to write home about. It can be very dim, and it can be very bright. The resolution of 1366x768 is alright for the size of the screen in this Chromebook. But that's about all I have to say about it in a positive aspect. The colors were always washed out, and they just plain sucked. The viewing angles were horrid, even for a TN panel. The screen in my netbook is FAR better, other than the resolution. And they break EXTREMELY easy. Probably doesn't help that the construction on the rest of the device is horrid.

KEYBOARD

Well... More crap. I found it to be very uncomfortable to use, and the keys were fairly hard to actually fully press on my Chromebook. The keys are also pretty damn loud. One nice thing is that the letters on them appear to stay on there pretty nicely, and the keyboard is really easy to clean and all of that good stuff.

TOUCHPAD

The touchpad is alright. Using it is pretty easy once you break it in and put some wear on it (otherwise your finger kinda skips along it). It got my touches down pretty well, and is fairly accurate. It is a pretty big touchpad, and looks to be about the same size as the ones that are used on the Macbooks. My biggest gripe: The actual click. It clicks REALLY loud, and works the best at the bottom in the middle. Anywhere else is pretty pointless, since it is pretty difficult to do.

OPERATING SYSTEM

Another shining point of this machine. ChromeOS as a whole has matured a TON in the past year, and it always seems to be running more and more stable, and with fewer major hiccups. Sure, not everything about it is perfect, but it certainly seems to be a lot better than what it was. If I were to use a computer just for the web and not much else, I would probably consider something like a Chromebox from ASUS to be a great option, just because of ChromeOS and its ecosystem.

CONCLUSION

Yeah... I hate this Chromebook. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the build quality on my netbook, and how it seems to be really freaking tough, but I expected more for close to $250. The build quality is subpar, the plastic is cheap, the hardware used to build it is all complete shit (touchpad is the shining point). But everything that requires WebGL doesn't run or says I need a WebGL compatible browser really pisses me off, since it seems like they only want to work with random releases.

IS IT WORTH IT?

Hell no. If you are trying to get a cheap laptop or something for college, for the love of god either save more and get something nicer, or go with a Dell Venue Pro. These things are terribly built, and are really slow. The dual-core Exynos 5 processor clocked at a measly 1.7GHz is painfully weak, and I was running into problems with just 2GB of RAM.

Hope you all enjoyed my smashing review of the Samsung XE303C12-A01US Chromebook. I did forget a few little things, but they don't really matter all that much.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've had great experiences on the Dell Chromebook 11. I'll have to keep track of durability since currently 90 students that are 14 in my school have them

I've had great experiences on the Dell Chromebook 11. I'll have to keep track of durability since currently 90 students that are 14 in my school have them

Lucky.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That's really odd. The Samsung Chromebooks (Same as the one you are using) are snappy for what they are with actual 10ish boot times. Yeah, they are quite cheap and very bad for what it could be, but the ones at my school I've used seem a little faster than what you're experiencing.. But other than the boot time and multitasking, I've experienced the rest the exact same as you have. Then again, ours have almost nothing on them so I'm going to assume that's it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

That's really odd. The Samsung Chromebooks (Same as the one you are using) are snappy for what they are with actual 10ish boot times. Yeah, they are quite cheap and very bad for what it could be, but the ones at my school I've used seem a little faster than what you're experiencing.. But other than the boot time and multitasking, I've experienced the rest the exact same as you have. Then again, ours have almost nothing on them so I'm going to assume that's it.

I just have some basic GDrive stuff, a few small games, and some apps. Hell, even with my personal account on it, there was only a 3 second longer login time, and I have a TON of stuff on it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I've heard the Dell ChromeBook and Acer C720 or C720P are pretty good except most of the ChromeBooks fall short on the display side of things.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I've heard the Dell ChromeBook and Acer C720 or C720P are pretty good except most of the ChromeBooks fall short on the display side of things.

Oh yeah. The display on this one is crap, and the others are meh.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I feel ya man. Although I just installed Ubuntu along side with Chrome OS and I'm having fun lol

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-run-both-chrome-os-and-ubuntu-on-a-chromebook/

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I should post some pics of my school laptop. Than you know what crap is :D

Nice review, Make a Video about it.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Have you thought about setting up dual boot with Chrome OS and Ubuntu? Linux will be much better than Chrome OS and you will have more access to games and programs.

Our school also has them, and I completely agree with you. Take a look at this chromebook, its something that is actually decent. A good CPU/decent GPU, a large 1080p screen, AND an 11 hour battery, all for under 300 dollars. 

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

the acer one is good

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I feel ya man. Although I just installed Ubuntu along side with Chrome OS and I'm having fun lol

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-run-both-chrome-os-and-ubuntu-on-a-chromebook/

Meh.

I should post some pics of my school laptop. Than you know what crap is :D

Nice review, Make a Video about it.

Thanks. Probably won't do a review since I don't own a camera. :P

Have you thought about setting up dual boot with Chrome OS and Ubuntu? Linux will be much better than Chrome OS and you will have more access to games and programs.

I have, but I never feel like it.

My school has those chrome books, they are pieces of junk. :P

Agreed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I really like chromebooks but I agree this one is utterly pants

thats why my netbook is a W110er

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh god, now I know never to come near a Chromebook again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Chromebooks suck, but if you want one...

The HP Chromebook is adorable, colorful, nearly-officially Google, and doesn't have terrible performance. Plus, the keybaord is solid and the trackpad, while small, works fine.

Chromebooks suck, but if you want one...

The HP Chromebook is adorable, colorful, nearly-officially Google, and doesn't have terrible performance. Plus, the keybaord is solid and the trackpad, while small, works fine.

Yeah, those chromebooks look cute. Like 5 year old toddler cute.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, those chromebooks look cute. Like 5 year old toddler cute.

My brother had a blue one for a week before he returned it xD

The black one is slick though.

My brother had a blue one for a week before he returned it xD

The black one is slick though.

I chucked mine at a wall for being too slow.

I chucked mine at a wall for being too slow.

xD

I still don't understand the appeal for a chromebook. Honestly, can someone explain to me why people buy these?

I still don't understand the appeal for a chromebook. Honestly, can someone explain to me why people buy these?

For people that spend all of their time on the web and don't want to spend very much on anything, I guess they seem pretty appealing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

My school has these. And the school has horrible internet, so whenever there is more than one person trying to log on it takes like 5-10 minutes to actually get on to them.

And yes, this review is a PERFECT explanation. I feel the exact same way when I use these. My school wasted their money.

My school has these. And the school has horrible internet, so whenever there is more than one person trying to log on it takes like 5-10 minutes to actually get on to them.

And yes, this review is a PERFECT explanation. I feel the exact same way when I use these. My school wasted their money.

I forgot a few things, so I'll probably do a V2 of this review. At least some of the things are good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler