What's the right CPU for a Geforce 750Ti?

Hello again,

So after upgrading my layman's PC's GPU to a Nvidia 750Ti I'm looking at getting at getting a new CPU. Currently I'm running a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz so obviously I'm bottlenecking the graphics card to hell. 

What CPU do you guys suggest I get? I'm on a budget so I don't want to spend more than $110 ish on a CPU so I'm guessing the best route would be to get a AMD CPU?

Unfortunately the MoBo is 4 ish years old so I don't know what style socket it is. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

how do you know you're bottle necking it?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

i'd recommend a Pentium g3258 and for the motherboard for that I would recommend an msi z97 pc mate total it would cost about $150 usd and then another $15 usd for a cooler master hyper tx3 to keep it cool and so you can overclock it if you feel the need to so in total it would cost about $160-170 usd i'm putting the price in usd because that's my currency so what is your currency

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Well the Q8300 fits on a LGA775 board and it's one of the later ones... Get a nice cooler for <100$ and overclock it. I think it'll be fine for a 750Ti.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

G325874235852097356 Anniversary Edition (can't remember the numbers now, so that'll do it)

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

You're currently on LGA775. If you can find the specific motherboard model, you can do the LGA771 Xeon mod and have a fantastic rig up on the cheap. You can have the equivalent of a QX9650 for peanuts really.

Delidded.com do a fantastic writeup on this.

Running a G3258 here upgraded from a Q8300 in july... big improvement.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

@ImASpermWhale If you follow your own topics you get a notification every time someone posts something here.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Hello again,

So after upgrading my layman's PC's GPU to a Nvidia 750Ti I'm looking at getting at getting a new CPU. Currently I'm running a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz so obviously I'm bottlenecking the graphics card to hell. 

What CPU do you guys suggest I get? I'm on a budget so I don't want to spend more than $110 ish on a CPU so I'm guessing the best route would be to get a AMD CPU?

Unfortunately the MoBo is 4 ish years old so I don't know what style socket it is. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

this CPu and this GPU is a good match i doubt the Core 2 quad bottleneck your 750ti that much but you should only get an hyper 212 cpu cooler and overclock it to make sure.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

-snip-

You know what is really shit? Your attitude.

And it's not a bad chip. Overclocked, it can keep it's pace in games with the i5 4690K and i7 4790K.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Intel Pentium G3258 or the AMD Athlon 760k are both good choices.

-snip-

your just filled will misinformation aren't you, yes the cpus you listed are good but the Pentium g3258 is great for any budget under $900 it can compete with an i7 when its overclocked and its still great even without being overclocked

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

-snip-

Call pentium bad.

Recomend athlon x4.

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

This topic is going downhill fast... 

Back on topic:

I upgraded from LGA775 (X38 chipset) some time ago and saw a big improvement in frames with the same graphics cards (2x HD 6870).  It is possible that he's being limited by his setup, and an upgrade will help him.  

@ImASpermWhale, are you looking to replace both CPU and mobo with that $100, or is that $100 specifically for a CPU and you can get a mobo on top of that?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

-snip-

I said gaming, not multitasking. Just because a CPU can't do one thing well doesn't mean it's shit. And, from owning both CPUs (G3258 and 750K), I will tell you that the 750K is both less overclockable and more eager to bottleneck GPUs. My GTX 770 had more FPS losses when I switched out my 2500K @5.2GHz to an Athlon than it did a G3258. (Games tested were BF4, Minecraft, DayZ and BeamNG)

-snip-

Two more things. Intel's single-threaded performance destroy's AMD's and an FX 8350 won't beat an i5 4440 at everything, try power consumption, single threaded performance and heat output.

And for the sake of the thread, this is my last post on it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

for the lower price range the amd cpu's are much better. Just cause its intel and has slightly better single threaded performance, doesnt mean its better than price competing amd's. 

btw. the Intel core i5 4440 is a nice choice, it also gives you the option to stream at medium resolution too and it costs 160€, or just buy an fx 8350 and beat it in every category

Slightly better singlecore performance?

That's why it outperforms AMD even in battlefield 4, right?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-5.html

-snip-

I bet whatever benchmark you read didn't include minimum framerate and frame time variance.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Damn, people just can't seem to leave that G3258 chip at peace.

I'm not really going to explain it further, but here are some quotations from previous answers i made.

Overclocking the G3258 is probably the easiest overclocking task i have ever tried.. I bumped up the CPU to 4.8GHz in my brothers computer, tweaked the VCore a little bit and within a few minutes i found a stable OC level without touching any of the other voltages.

The G3258 is a beast in gaming when we're talking price/performance ratio, however, note that many games today can and will utilize more than 1 core, typically it's around 2 cores. So if both your cores are being maxed out when gaming, you do not have any headroom left for programs to be running in the background simultaneously with the game. This might cause high FPS drops.

Now due to it's low amount of cores, the G3258 heat output is not very immense, a cheap air cooler can easily keep the processor cool enough for a 4.7/4.8GHz OC with decent voltages (that is, if the processor ofcourse allows it). When overclocked, the Pentium processor is comparable to overclocked i7's/i5's in games where more than 2 cores is not necessary, which is roughly 90% of all games today. 

If you seek only gaming performance, the G3258 with some overclocking is straight forward the choice for you. However, if you wish to run things in the background while playing, you might be better off with an i3 with HyperThreading or a low-end i5. 

I think it's kinda weird how these things can bring so much discussion?

Let's take a step back and let's give OP the response he really needs, instead of just throwing stones at each other, telling who is right and who is wrong.

We need to take a look at some facts here:

The Intel Haswell series, including the very low end products such as the G3258, will per core clock deliver up to twice the performance of AMDs High-End CPU's. 

Most games today, does not yet utilize more than 2 cores, the additional 6 cores some AMD processors offer will have an insignificant part in gaming.

Some games make use of 2 cores and can utilize HyperThreading, the i3 would be the superior pick.

Games like Battlefield 4 and WatchDogs are multi-threaded based and not as high based on clock speeds. The AMD processor would defeat the Pentium and the i3 series.

In order for us to tell what OP should pick, we need to know what he is going to use the machine for.. If it's games that is not based on multi-threaded workloads, a G3258 or an i3 would be the best pick, if the games he plays is based on multi-threaded workloads, he would need something else.

If you're near a Micro Center, that $99.00 MSI Z97 PC-Mate + G3258 deal is amazing and I'm jealous of anyone who can snag such a deal up.

Well after looking into the Intel Pentium G3258 I realized I would not be able to OC it because I don't have the right Mobo. :( 

Any more suggestions?

Intel: pentium G3258, or a low end i3
AMD: Athalon or  fx 4300

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Well after looking into the Intel Pentium G3258 I realized I would not be able to OC it because I don't have the right Mobo. :(

Any more suggestions?

I dont get what you mean by saying that. You mean that you already bought a motherboard(socket 1150) and then checked that it wont overclock the Pentium g3258

or you mean your current motherboard(socket 775) which isnt compatible with the Pentium cant overclock it? If you want to upgrade your CPU to a newer one you will

have to upgrade your Motherboard with it, so they will be compatible. If you only want to upgrade your CPU on your current motherboard i think you will find only used

ones. Also if you dont have a newer 775 motherboard with ddr3 ram slots it means that you have to buy new rams, if you go to the direction of changing CPU and

motherboard.

Also, if you decide you want to buy the Pentium g3258 you dont have to buy a Z series motherboard i got an Asus H81M-C which is really cheap and with the bios update

i can overclock the G3258. I hope that helps, cheers.

i3 would be good pair with GTX 750ti

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |