Best Thin Gaming Laptop/Ultrabook/Tablet

AuburnEagle23

Hey there everyone, I couldn't find a section for laptops, which is why I am posting here.

I am looking for a new mobile gaming device. The criteria I would like is listed below, the order is not in order of importance, all criteria are equally important.

1. Thin device (similar to the Razer Blade 2014).

2. Quality device - as in high quality build and craftsmanship, I don't want to hear creeping and bending when I am typing.

3. Price - any price.

4. Dedicated GPU - GTX 860 or higher.

5. Heat Management - cannot become a mini stove when gaming, like the Razer Blade 2014.

6. Gaming Performance - must be able to run Diablo 3, Call of Duty, various MMOs at medium to ultra with 60+ average FPS.

7. Screen resolution - 1920x1080 or above, if the resolution is higher then this, when you change the desktop resolution, it must scale correctly and not put black bars on the screen.

Any and all insight is welcome, just try to keep within the criteria. I have been looking for a few months at every manufacturer and their respective thin gaming laptops and can't seem to find one that meets most of these criteria.

I'm kinda positive it's not possible to achieve #1 and #5 at the same time, due to, ehm, physics. The heat's gotta go somewhere, but it can not be instantly removed from the system.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

5. Heat Management - cannot become a mini stove when gaming, like the Razer Blade 2014.

Pick two.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

what screen size 11 13 14 15 16 17 inches

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

From what I've seen, the Aorus [by Gigabyte] laptop. It does get super loud though, but it's probably my next laptop if I end up needing one. It gets up to about 85 degrees Celsius.

But if that's an issue for you, I would probably go with one of the ROG laptops Asus offers. It won't be thin, but it'll have way lower temps.

Any price? Well, you're certainly not going to get a 880M in a ultrathin laptop, but you can get two 860M's in SLI which should outperform a 870M.

Aorus x7?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LCM2BK2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00ISKS49S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=061ATBNTCTXZ1S3BZN3E

Id go with the MSI GS60 like above, the GS70 if you want 17 inches or the Pro so you can get a little bump up with the 870M.

Yes I know you can have perfect heat management and dedicated graphics, BUT, you can have better heat management. Example, the Razer Blade 2014 literally scorches people on the bottom of the laptop. Where as the Aorus X7 and the MSI MS 60 dissipate the heat much better to just bearable levels.

As far as screensize, any screensize, but preferably 15.6" or less.

Hey there everyone, I couldn't find a section for laptops, which is why I am posting here.

I am looking for a new mobile gaming device. The criteria I would like is listed below, the order is not in order of importance, all criteria are equally important.

2. Quality device - as in high quality build and craftsmanship, I don't want to hear creeping and bending when I am typing.

3. Price - any price.

6. Gaming Performance - must be able to run Diablo 3, Call of Duty, various MMOs at medium to ultra with 60+ average FPS.

7. Screen resolution - 1920x1080 or above, if the resolution is higher then this, when you change the desktop resolution, it must scale correctly and not put black bars on the screen.

Any and all insight is welcome, just try to keep within the criteria. I have been looking for a few months at every manufacturer and their respective thin gaming laptops and can't seem to find one that meets most of these criteria.

Here are a few that meet your criteria (I am currently weighing up all of these for myself too so I understand your predicament)

Aorus X3 and X3 Plus

GIgabyte P25x 

Gigabyte P35W

MSI GS 60 Ghost

Razer Blade

Razer Edge Tablet (maybe?)

Alienware 14

15" retina macbook pro

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@ShadowCaptain - yup they are a lot of what I've looked at.

Aorus X3 and X3 Plus - the X3 is looking like the best honestly. The plus has heat issues, just like the Razer Blade 2014.

GIgabyte P25x - haven't looked at this.

Gigabyte P35W -

MSI GS 60 Ghost - another great choice, but every negative review I see about this states that it has garbage shotty build quality.

Razer Blade - heat issues, would buy this immediately if it didnt.

Razer Edge Tablet (maybe?) - under performs in games terribly. GT840 just doesn't cut it.

Alienware 14 - too think, mine as well stick with my Alienware M17X R4.

15" retina macbook pro. - way to high a price for the components inside. And the components are subpar at that.

@ShadowCaptain - yup they are a lot of what I've looked at.

Aorus X3 and X3 Plus - the X3 is looking like the best honestly. The plus has heat issues, just like the Razer Blade 2014.

GIgabyte P25x - haven't looked at this.

Gigabyte P35W -

MSI GS 60 Ghost - another great choice, but every negative review I see about this states that it has garbage shotty build quality.

Razer Blade - heat issues, would buy this immediately if it didnt.

Razer Edge Tablet (maybe?) - under performs in games terribly. GT840 just doesn't cut it.

Alienware 14 - too think, mine as well stick with my Alienware M17X R4.

15" retina macbook pro. - way to high a price for the components inside. And the components are subpar at that.

Yeah Agree about the Aorus, this is the way I am leaning right now tbh, it looks awesome and gets great reviews, apparently its build is not insane but it seems decent enough- I would probably get the PLUS model myself if I go this route

P25x is a little thick but carries an 880m in a pretty thin 15" chassis

P35w- razer blade thinness, 870m, seems decent

Ghost - yeah its hard to say without feeling it and seeing it, well priced for its spec though!

Blade - I might put up with the heat issues myself.... it looks so damn cool :( Cries

Edge - its not that bad, considering its a tablet, its probably the smallest gaming device if you REALLY need to save weight - sacrificing performance though

M14 - Yeah its thick though its very well built and not too expensive, its WAY small than the m17x though and but its heavy for a 14" ( there is a thinner 13" model coming soon though just FYI)

15" pro - completely disagree, but I cba arguing (this is my second consideration after the Aorus, its only a 750m, but 8 hours battery life, pci ssds and retina screen are amazing, plus its very light and well made)

OH check out the Clevo W230SS too, its not the thinnest buts its light, and pretty well made, AMAZING specs for the money (I have the 11.6" W230ST as my gaming netbook (650m))

I am replacing my M18x so any option will be lighter haha

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yup with yah on about all points. And to clarify about the Macbook. I was meaning the type of parts inside. Yes they are good quality, but if you put it up against the MS 60 or Aorus x3/plus or Razer, they all have more ram,more SSD space, better dedicated gpu. Only pro the mac has is battery life and that's because of the limited components. And plus IT'S A MAC, don't turn to the dark side, don't do it lol. But yeah I suppose my main criteria is the thickness, it has to be in the range of the Razer/Aorus/MSI.

Gigabyte P25X v2 is the diamond in the rough.  Very little has been written about it, but it really hits the sweet spot.

There are pretty much NO compromises on hardware, since it has the best graphics card available (880M), an IPS screen, 2x SSD + 1 HD, etc, so it's capable of running the newest games in ultra easily.  

Furthermore, it does this without being a humongous machine.  Its weight is pretty much what one would expect of a normal 15" before this new thin and light craze hit.  You can carry it in many standard backpacks. All of the other laptops that have similarly high-end components weigh a lot more or otherwise have significant heat dissipation problems. 

Despite its more reasonable (albeit not "thin and light" caliber) weight and thickness, it doesn't have the same heat issues as the Gigabyte P35W v2, MSI GS60 Ghost, or Razer Blade 2014.  You can play with this thing on your lap without second or even third degree burns.  IMHO, if you have to lug around a cooling pad for a "thin and light" machine, you're not really benefiting from the "thin and light" premium. 

In any event, build quality of the P25Xv2 is actually pretty good too.  I've seen complaints about the speakers, but not all reviews find the speakers particularly troubling,  See, e.g., http://www.avforums.com/review/gigabyte-p25x-v2-gaming-laptop-review.10680, and many gamers use headphones anyway.  You will have to be willing to stomach the yellow cover, but if you find that intolerable I've heard of some who have painted it with success.  Reviews on the touchpad, keyboard, etc., are fairly solid.  I've seen some consistent complaints about the location of ports, but I'd hardly think that would be a deal breaker for most folks.

One added point that was important to me -- It's got a wonderfully large battery (and thus comparably better battery life than the competitors), and the battery is easily replaceable/swappable -- not the case with the "thin and light" models.

Seriously, don't overlook the P25X v2 just because it's not as sexy-looking and well marketed as the others, or because it's not as thin and light as the razer blade or ghost.  It really seems like the Goldilocks machine among all the latest generation of gaming laptops out there.  And even though you have no price constraints, it sure doesn't hurt that the machine is priced affordably for all that you get.

My friend has an Alienware 14. It's fairly thin, doesn't overheat, has great build quality, and is a pretty nice powerhouse for the size. The Aorus X3/X7 also look like great machines...no experience with those though.

• 2 weeks later...

@ShadowCaptain - have you decided and more importantly, did you decide on the Aorus X3 Plus?

I have been looking at the thread for a few days hoping to get some solid feedback since I am looking at the X3 Plus as well. There are some comments about bad build quality, weird screen glitches or excessive heat - so I really want to talk to someone who has one. 

I love the look of the X3 and the X7 and would most like by the X3 Plus.

@puttyq nar I have not decided, I really need to find a way to try them out before I buy them, I am quite picky, and sitll sort of want a macbook but I am not sure

Its a really tough choice at the moment, also waiting to see the MSI GS30 too

HAHA, I think we are in the same spot at the moment. I am also torn between the new MBP and the Aorus X3 Plus. 

I will most likely decide next week and buy something. I'll let you know what I decide.

Check out this thread where @RMXSeven gave some good feedback on the Aorus X3 based on some questions I asked him.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Windows 10 support pixel doubling for high res laptops without (razer blade 14, x3 plus and other 3,4k screens on laptops

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Razer Blade 14 2014

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

I wonder when we can expect the next version of the razer blade, it should run cooler and quiter. I think it looks really awesome.