EVGA acx 2.0

yannickverc

No idea if this was announced already, but EVGA just tweeted a preview of their acx 2.0 cooling!

Video

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Pretty much the same thing, IMO

There has to be a reason why they call it 2.0 though, haha

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

There has to be a reason why they call it 2.0 though, haha

Exactly, but I dont know what it is :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

"The world's most efficient cooler"

-bullshit

DCUII is better and also quieter

and WTF DID THEY DO TO THE FANS they now pull air instead of push it?!?!?

Do they not understand that heat rises? Having the fans inverted is going to be pushing hot air from the GPU to the bottom of your case, where it will rise again and re-enter the graphics card heating it up even more...

Also they are using ball bearing fans, which get really loud. Fluid dynamic bearings would be much quieter.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-bullshit

Do they not understand that heat rises? Having the fans inverted is going to be pushing hot air from the GPU to the bottom of your case, where it will rise again and re-enter the graphics card heating it up even more...

Also they are using ball bearing fans, which get really loud. Fluid dynamic bearings would be much quieter.

That doesn't sound really good haha

That doesn't sound really good haha

It sounds like EVGA is trying to do something different to set them apart from the other manufacturers, but in the process making some really bad mistakes that will negatively affect performance...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It sounds like EVGA is trying to do something different to set them apart from the other manufacturers, but in the process making some really bad mistakes that will negatively affect performance...

i guarantee you that no company would intentionally wreck their product as that would effect sales

-bullshit

They still push air onto the heatsink you sausage. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The fact you use that gif as profile pic made me laugh so hard

No they don't. Look at the render in the video. The blades are pulling air from the heatsink.

Spoiler

-bullshit

The performance efficiency between DCUII and ACX is debatable, but the fans will still be pushing air onto the cooler. Look more closely. If you're wondering why they're inverted, they will spin the other way, like every other case fan does.

And with the movement of air inside of a PC case, the heat doesn't rise quick enough for it to matter really.

We'll see the benchmarks when they release. EVGA aren't idiots :P

Hope it's silent.

Yeah, the ACX cooler was loud as shit though. 45 dBa at idle >.> Reference was even quieter.

The performance efficiency between DCUII and ACX is debatable, but the fans will still be pushing air onto the cooler. Look more closely. If you're wondering why they're inverted, they will spin the other way, like every other case fan does.

And with the movement of air inside of a PC case, the heat doesn't rise quick enough for it to matter really.

We'll see the benchmarks when they release. EVGA aren't idiots :P

The way the fan blades are shaped in the render makes it obvious that it will be pulling air from the heatsink. If it was to spin the other way it would barely move any air. This is why fan blades are shaped like that and spin always in the same direction.

Heat rises very quickly. You can see this if you put a radiator in the top of your case as an intake instead of exhaust. You will get several degrees hotter with it as an intake because the fans are working against convection.

Spoiler

Yeah, the ACX cooler was loud as shit though. 45 dBa at idle >.> Reference was even quieter.

I have an ACX cooler and it's silent as f***... Even at 60-70% fan speed it's really quiet

The way the fan blades are shaped in the render makes it obvious that it will be pulling air from the heatsink. If it was to spin the other way it would barely move any air. This is why fan blades are shaped like that and spin always in the same direction.

Heat rises very quickly. You can see this if you put a radiator in the top of your case as an intake instead of exhaust. You will get several degrees hotter with it as an intake because the fans are working against convection.

I don't know man. I can see your point, but at the same time EVGA isn't a second-rate vendor either. We'll see the benchmarks (decibel and temp readings) when they come out :P

I have an ACX cooler and it's silent as f***... Even at 60-70% fan speed it's really quiet

Yeah.. What people call silent these days is a 290x reference at 70%. 

Yeah.. What people call silent these days is a 290x reference at 70%. 

Before this 780ti I owned a gigabyte r9 290 windforce, now that crap was loud as fuck. Ran 90% fanspeed at 85°C. shitty gpu

No they don't. Look at the render in the video. The blades are pulling air from the heatsink.

They aren't. they really, really aren't. They blades still push air onto the GPU heat sink. Just becasue they look bent backwards compared to the original ACX cooler doesn't mean they are pulling are away from the heat sink. They have probably chose that design to maximize air 'spread' or some useless rubbish like that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

They aren't. they really, really aren't. They blades still push air onto the GPU heat sink. Just becasue they look bent backwards compared to the original ACX cooler doesn't mean they are pulling are away from the heat sink. They have probably chose that design to maximize air 'spread' or some useless rubbish like that. 

I highly doubt that. If they were trying to maximize the spread they would still have a positive pitch and the blades bent back instead of forward. The fact that they have a negative pitch means they will have a very hard time pulling air in at all. So this means that they are pulling air from the heatsink.

Spoiler

I would like to see more than just EVGA reexamining their air coolers. I am always looking for improvement in cooling.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@Enderman I would stop raging and wait to see the actual results.  Backwards swept blades are not a unheard of.  There has been research done showing that 10 degree backwards swept blades are quieter than 10 degree forward swept blades.  So unless you're a Mechanical Engineer who has had the time to do the CFD analysis (if you did, you should be working for EVGA),  I would wait to see the results.

And if their engineers are really that foolish, then I feel sorry for EVGA.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST