Need urgent help for my h80i

Go to solution Solved by naota3k,

I found this thread and it seemed to help. I luckily had a few plastic/rubber washers around that I put on the backplate. It was a huge pain since in the HAF 932 case the mobo cutout is really small, so I had to remove the entire mobo again. :/

Anyway, the problem seems to be fixed after tightening up the backplate. I put some washers like I said under it, and now I'm idling at 30C, and the highest recorded temp from Burn Test was 61 C. Hooray!

Before we begin, i have the i5 4690k and the corsair h80i water cooler. 

At first I installed everything per usual and starting up was no problem. I checked my idle temps and they were around 25-30 degrees celcius which IMO is good, and so i start up Prime95 to check Max Temps. And INSTANTLY, the temp jumps from 25-30 to 80-85. 

I then look around on the web for some explanations and quickly find articles talking about the backplate issue with the h80i. The problem was that the backplate was not mounted correctly. So i went out and got some washers and that mounted the backplate firmly.

Idle temps were normal and so again I started up Prime 95 and the temps were down to 65-72 degrees celcius. 

The thing that i am wondering is that why is it jumping so quickly? And something else that i found, the exhaust air was cool, not hot when running prime 95 but cool.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

solution stop using prim95 it damages haswell cpus, use aid64 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

^ I agree, AIDA64 is alot better for new Intel cpus. Prime95 will create more heat but will damage your cpu. Try with AIDA64 and see how that goes. 

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm not at home right now so ill check it later. But i did not realise that Prime95 was bad to use for the Haswell Chips. So you guys are saying that it is jumping cause of prime95?

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm not at home right now so ill check it later. But i did not realise that Prime95 was bad to use for the Haswell Chips. So you guys are saying that it is jumping cause of prime95?

Prime95 is perfectly fine to use with Haswell and Devil's Canyon.  You just have to set your voltage to manual/override before running it.  Prime95 is a stress test, it is designed to heat up and stress your system to the max.  Prime95 is arguably the most strenuous of them all, and temperatures in P95 will be hotter than other stress testing applications.  Whenever you stress test, regardless what program you use, set your voltage to manual or override depending which motherboard you are using.  Once you are done stress testing, then you can revert back to adaptive voltage.

Prime95 is harmful to Haswell or Devil's Canyon when left on adaptive voltage.  This is because when the processor is pushed to 100% load, adaptive voltage will overvolt the processor.  Set your voltage to manual/constant so that the voltage stays to what you set it to.  When you are done stress testing, then revert back to adaptive voltage.  This is true for any and all stress testing applications.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hey guys! im running AIDA 64 and the max temp so far is 62 degrees Celsius! 

Hey guys, first time poster here. I just got a Corsair H80i today and am also having problems with it. I figured I'd throw my question into this thread rather than start a new one.

The problem:

I started with a Cooler Master V8 air cooler on my CPU. The fan started to make bearing noise so I decided to replace it with an AIO Corsair H80i. I bought a friend of mine the H70 for his birthday to cool his OC'd Pentium Anniversary Edition, and I figured I'd get myself the radiator thickness upgrade of the H80i. Before my CM V8 started having problems, the highest temperature I saw while running Burn Test (OC'd at 4.0gHz) was about 67 C (viewed in SpeedFan & CoreTemp separately & simultaneously). I just finished installing my H80i and I ran Burn Test again, but now I'm getting temperatures around 88 C? Almost a 25 degree jump in heat. I'm literally scared to continue using Burn Test.. I've heard that AIO coolers may need a few days to settle in with the air bubbles and what not, but 25 degrees difference? Something seems wrong.

I've got a 3570K i5 (OC'd at 4.0gHz) running on a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.

EDIT: I just reseated the actual CPU waterblock twice. I took it off the first time and noticed only about HALF of the TIM was on the CPU.. so there's my problem.

Re-pasted and re-seated with Artic Silver.. tested even HOTTER! 60C IDLE! YIKES!

Re-pasted and re-seated AGAIN, with TWICE as much paste this time. Now I'm idling around 35-45C and loading up to 80C. This still seems 10~ degrees hotter than with my air cooled CM V8. What's the deal here? :( I checked to see if the backplate was loose, as others said this might cause a thermal transfer problem, and it's tight as it could be. I wasn't able to wiggle it any amount whatsoever. I'm extremely disappointed.. I was really looking forward to OCing this i5 a bit further..

tl'dr: I replaced my Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler with a Corsair H80i and my load temperatures have risen by 20+ degrees Celcius.

could be several problems. A bad mount that moved slightly with the heat, a bad sensor, an error with your program. I wish I could help more but that's honestly all I can think of with your idle temps being so low.

I found this thread and it seemed to help. I luckily had a few plastic/rubber washers around that I put on the backplate. It was a huge pain since in the HAF 932 case the mobo cutout is really small, so I had to remove the entire mobo again. :/

Anyway, the problem seems to be fixed after tightening up the backplate. I put some washers like I said under it, and now I'm idling at 30C, and the highest recorded temp from Burn Test was 61 C. Hooray!