Galaxy Note 4 beats the S5 and takes the title for "The Best Smartphone Display"

OriginalPromise

Depending on the battery life, this seriously puts this under consideration for my next phone. That said, I can't be hopeful about battery life with QHD. Seriously, just why? :/ I hate this trend toward this completely useless resolution for phones.

Depending on the battery life, this seriously puts this under consideration for my next phone. That said, I can't be hopeful about battery life with QHD. Seriously, just why? :/ I hate this trend toward this completely useless resolution for phones.

2560x1440 with Snapdragon 805 uses about the same power as 1920x1080 with Snapdragon 800/801.

It shouldn't be too big of an issue, especially not since this new display seem to use less power than the previous one (according to DisplayMate).

Yes that is perfect. Why isn't this getting any hype. It has great battery life, it still has craftsmanship. The Apple watch is shit to this.  

because it requires more work to support since it's not simply just running android wear, it's going to be like the pebble, except with worse support since it will be here way too late for anyone to care about it.

Not anymore:

Anand's Galaxy S 5 review - bias paid review review

DisplayMate's Note 4 display analysis - wall of text that is also bias and probably paid

I don't care, the colors are still over saturated and overly vibrate that they make my eyes want to bleed. TouchWiz's terrible UI design doesn't help with that either. I hate Galaxy phones for that reason. I will still take IPS over any display tech until true to life colors can be produced and are actually used on OLEDs.

And ohh, OLED's suck because if you have a fairly dark pixel it just shuts it off, making blacks/grays look like shit.

Objectively IPS is superior to OLED.

2560x1440 with Snapdragon 805 uses about the same power as 1920x1080 with Snapdragon 800/801.

It shouldn't be too big of an issue, especially not since this new display seem to use less power than the previous one (according to DisplayMate).

I suppose. I still wish they would have stuck with FHD though. Then we'd get even more battery life with nothing lost other than a marketing checkmark. :/

I don't care, the colors are still over saturated and overly vibrate that they make my eyes want to bleed. TouchWiz's terrible UI design doesn't help with that either. I hate Galaxy phones for that reason. I will still take IPS over any display tech until true to life colors can be produced and are actually used on OLEDs.

And ohh, OLED's suck because if you have a fairly dark pixel it just shuts it off, making blacks/grays look like shit.

You're not even giving the Note 4 a chance. The S5 also had the highest color accuracy before the Note 4. You can always fiddle with the settings and set the screen to standard view. The testing was done in different preset modes that can be altered very easily in the settings.

Also, benchmarks do not lie. Samsung not only proved their dominance in display technology, they've announced that OLED is now here to replace LCDs.

You just seem to hate Samsung for some reason. Prove that IPS LCD is superior than SAMOLED technology. Elsewise, you're only mocking yourself.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

The Galaxy S5 LTE-A and the Galaxy Note 4 actually have screens that follow standards very closely (Adobe RGB in Photo mode and sRGB in Cinema/Basic mode). It does get oversaturated when using the Adaptive Display mode, however. Black crush is no longer an issue, as far as I know --- the last one that had noticeable black crush was the Galaxy S3 (Galaxy S4 still does a very mild crush that most people cannot notice; the S5 onwards is supposedly clear of this).

Samsung has improved their AMOLED implementation quite a bit; the competing phones from HTC, LG and Sony now measure worse when it comes to screen performance and calibration.

I don't care, the colors are still over saturated and overly vibrate that they make my eyes want to bleed.

But that's wrong. When you put modern Samsung phones in video mode they have pretty accurate colors with little saturation. Sure they are oversaturated in the default mode but it takes 10 seconds to change that.

Don't base your entire opinion of SAMOLED on 2-3 generation old iterations of it.

TouchWiz's terrible UI design doesn't help with that either. I hate Galaxy phones for that reason.

Well that's not really relevant when talking about SAMOLED as a display technology, is it? You don't say the tiers on a car is bad because you don't like the small amount of leg room in the back seats.

I will still take IPS over any display tech until true to life colors can be produced and are actually used on OLEDs.

You're in luck! Both the Galaxy S 5 and Note 4 have pretty good color accuracy, better than most LCDs. You're generalizing far too much by the way. Just because 2 phones has better color accuracy and use LCD, does not mean all LCD screens have better color accuracy.

Again, you're basing your opinion on tech that are several generations old.

If your only exposure to SAMOLED have been for example the Galaxy S 3 then I understand that you dislike it, but you shouldn't be so quick to assume that everything after that is the same.

Numbers don't lie. We have measurements of how SAMOLED performs and your claims simply do not hold up with the newer generation of devices.

But that's wrong. When you put modern Samsung phones in video mode they have pretty accurate colors with little saturation. Sure they are oversaturated in the default mode but it takes 10 seconds to change that.

Don't base your entire opinion of SAMOLED on 2-3 generation old iterations of it.

Well that's not really relevant when talking about SAMOLED as a display technology, is it? You don't say the tiers on a car is bad because you don't like the small amount of leg room in the back seats.

You're in luck! Both the Galaxy S 5 and Note 4 have pretty good color accuracy, better than most LCDs. You're generalizing far too much by the way. Just because 2 phones has better color accuracy and use LCD, does not mean all LCD screens have better color accuracy.

Again, you're basing your opinion on tech that are several generations old.

If your only exposure to SAMOLED have been for example the Galaxy S 3 then I understand that you dislike it, but you shouldn't be so quick to assume that everything after that is the same.

Numbers don't lie. We have measurements of how SAMOLED performs and your claims simply do not hold up with the newer generation of devices.

Ok, but I still hate the Galaxy phones for everything other than the display. They don't really have much going for them when you consider the cost. Besides, the GS5's screen still consumed twice the power as some of its competitors using LCD.

You're not even giving the Note 4 a chance. The S5 also had the highest color accuracy before the Note 4. You can always fiddle with the settings and set the screen to standard view. The testing was done in different preset modes that can be altered very easily in the settings.

Also, benchmarks do not lie. Samsung not only proved their dominance in display technology, they've announced that OLED is now here to replace LCDs.

You just seem to hate Samsung for some reason. Prove that IPS LCD is superior than SAMOLED technology. Elsewise, you're only mocking yourself.

Ok, the $10 OLED in a GS5 is totally better than an IPS display in an Asus Pro Art monitor, what was I ever thinking? 

I primarily hate them to the horrible atrocities they have committed to Android (TouchWiz). Even if their screens are the best now their phones are still objectively worse simply due to fact that they run TouchWiz.

Ok, but I still hate the Galaxy phones for everything other than the display. They don't really have much going for them when you consider the cost.

They don't? Well they have some of the best cameras, they always have the best SoCs available, they got many features such as microSD and removable battery (although other OEMs have jumped onboard that ship as well now, thank God).

I think they got plenty of things going for them.

Besides, the GS5's screen still consumed twice the power as some of its competitors using LCD.

Do you have a source on that?

Ok, the $10 OLED in a GS5 is totally better than an IPS display in an Asus Pro Art monitor, what was I ever thinking? 

It's actually about 60 dollars for the display (for a 5" one).

If you scaled it up to a 27" monitor and then individually calibrated them I wouldn't be surprised if you could make it as good as for example an Asus PA29Q.

I primarily hate them to the horrible atrocities they have committed to Android (TouchWiz). Even if their screens are the best now their phones are still objectively worse simply due to fact that they run TouchWiz.

I think you need to look up the word "objective". The correct word in that sentence would have been "subjective".

They don't? Well they have some of the best cameras,

Most smartphone cameras are good enough for Instagram/twitter/facebook, if you need something better get a DSLR

they always have the best SoCs available

Which are bogged down by Touch-wiz being as heavy and inefficient as it is. Besides, most phones are fast enough. the Difference between a Snapdragon 800, 801, and 805 makes almost no real world difference when you consider the fact that app developers still have to design their apps  to run on slower phones.

they got many features such as microSD

I could see why you care about that, and its a valid point, but I would rather just buy the larger version of the device which would cost the same as the sd card. Remember the One+ One and Nexus 5 are cheap.

and removable battery

Valid point, but because Touch-wiz is inefficient the GS5 burns through its battery quite fast the point is almost null and void. The Nexus 5 only has a 2300 mAh battery and it manages quit well. If it gets you through the day that's good enough, if you are a power user then carrying around a battery bank is better since you can use it on more devices, not just one

All my friends who own a GS3-GS5 or own an iPhone carry around external battery packs, None of my friends with other flagship smartphones do, because unlike Galaxy devices other smartphones don't run Touch-Wiz.

(although other OEMs have jumped onboard that ship as well now, thank God).

Yeah, like the Find 7 (did the full one get released yet?) and the LG G3.

I think they got plenty of things going for them.

Not compared to phones of the same price. The GS5 is kind of like a Nexus 5, but twice as expensive, a terrible UI and gimmicky features that look cool in ads

Do you have a source on that?

Someone made a post on it in this thread

It's actually about 60 dollars for the display (for a 5" one).

Still, fairly cheap compared to $500-1000 monitors.

If you scaled it up to a 27" monitor and then individually calibrated them I wouldn't be surprised if you could make it as good as for example an Asus PA29Q.

If it costs $60 just for a 5 inch display then it would be about $360 for the 30" (I bumped the size up). Plus prices for larger displays are exponential for whatever reason and Samsungs OLED 4k TV's are above $100,000 so lets say this monitor will cost close to $10,000

I think you need to look up the word "objective". The correct word in that sentence would have been "subjective".

Nope, I can't think of any valid reasons (collectively) to buy a GS5 over a One M8, G3, Find 7, One+ One, or Nexus 5. Again, TouchWiz is the spawn of the devil.

In case you haven't noticed I despise Touch-Wiz with a passion.

Most smartphone cameras are good enough for Instagram/twitter/facebook, if you need something better get a DSLR

Ah I love that argument. You know, a Raspberry Pi is enough for what most people use their computers for (general web browsing). Does that mean that we should stop trying to make them better? Does that mean that there is no point in getting something more expensive than 25 dollars? Of course it doesn't. Just because something is "good enough" doesn't mean we should stop there. Why settle for "good enough" when you can get "really good" or "almost perfect"? As someone who takes quite a lot of photos with my phone, I think the camera is important. I rarely have a DSLR with me so my phone is my main camera 95% of the times.

Which are bogged down by Touch-wiz being as heavy and inefficient as it is. Besides, most phones are fast enough. the Difference between a Snapdragon 800, 801, and 805 makes almost no real world difference when you consider the fact that app developers still have to design their apps  to run on slower phones.

I strongly disagree that phones are fast enough.

post-216-0-59050400-1410987672.jpg

Other than example above (which sometimes drop frames, the audio gets desynched and so on), I often run into instances where I have to wait, and wait and wait for things to process. Post processing on photos is a good example of this. The Bokeh effect in the Google camera takes something like 20 seconds to be processed on my phone. That's with all 4 cores being utilized for most of the process (although not all of them peak at 100% at all times). Oh and that's Krait 300 cores, not some sloppy A7 or something like that. Some things are also painfully slow. One example of this is the profile menu here on LTT which takes several seconds to fully appear on my phone.

On top of all that, you're not considering what the future will hold. People said 1GHz single core processors were overkill on the desktop, but would you want to use that today? The same thing were said about 1GHz on phones as well. Would you really want to go back to the Nexus One's performance? It was enough for 4 years ago but today it's unusable.

The difference between Snapdragon 800 and 805 are massive by the way. Not for CPU performance reasons since they are basically the same, but for GPU reasons and other areas (ISP, video decoding block, modem and a few other things).

I could see why you care about that, and its a valid point, but I would rather just buy the larger version of the device which would cost the same as the sd card. Remember the One+ One and Nexus 5 are cheap.

The price for the extra storage is usually far more than a microSD. Not even the OnePlus One with its fantastic 64GB offer is as cheap as a microSD card (of which you can have many many different ones, and also be used to easily transfer files from one phone to another).

Valid point, but because Touch-wiz is inefficient the GS5 burns through its battery quite fast the point is almost null and void. The Nexus 5 only has a 2300 mAh battery and it manages quit well. If it gets you through the day that's good enough, if you are a power user then carrying around a battery bank is better since you can use it on more devices, not just one

All my friends who own a GS3-GS5 or own an iPhone carry around external battery packs, None of my friends with other flagship smartphones do, because unlike Galaxy devices other smartphones don't run Touch-Wiz.

The Galaxy S 5 gets far far better battery life than the Nexus 5. Stop your blind Samsung hate.

Do you have any proof that TouchWiz is inefficient? Not talking about anecdotal stuff but actual measurements.

Battery packs are not even close to as elegant of a solution as simply having good battery life to begin with.

Oh and it's strange that only your friends with those phones use it since other phones has similar or worse battery lives. Maybe they simply use their phones more?

Not compared to phones of the same price. The GS5 is kind of like a Nexus 5, but twice as expensive, a terrible UI and gimmicky features that look cool in ads

Ehh... Yes it does.

Let's compare it against the m8:

Better screen.

Water and dust resistant.

Better camera.

Removable battery.

It also has some drawbacks such as worse speakers but if we're going to weight those things against each other we start getting into subjective stuff.

Someone made a post on it in this thread

Sorry but I can't find it. Can you please link to it?

Still, fairly cheap compared to $500-1000 monitors.

You're comparing the BOM price of a 5" screen vs the retail price of a 27" monitor which have been individually calibrated.

Scale up the 5" screen, add really good calibration and you will probably end up at the same price or maybe even more. I refuse to believe that you don't see anything wrong in your comparison. 60 dollars for a 5" screen is not cheap.

If it costs $60 just for a 5 inch display then it would be about $360 for the 30" (I bumped the size up). Plus prices for larger displays are exponential for whatever reason and Samsungs OLED 4k TV's are above $100,000 so lets say this monitor will cost close to $10,000

Cost don't scale linearly like that. For 5" panels you got a lot of room to cut off the bad parts of a panel. The bigger screen you make, the less room you have for avoiding dead pixels, and thus you get lower yields.

That's why prices for bigger screens are exponential instead of linear. It's the exact same scenario for LCDs and why we don't see many high PPI ~24" monitors at low prices. You can't just tape small panels together.

Nope, I can't think of any valid reasons (collectively) to buy a GS5 over a One M8, G3, Find 7, One+ One, or Nexus 5. Again, TouchWiz is the spawn of the devil.

See above. I can make comparisons some other phones as well if you want. I picked the m8 above because it's often Samsung vs HTC on these forums.

The things I listed above are objective. Whether you think they are important or not is subjective. That's why I said you should have changed the word "objective" to "subjective" in your post. You don't like the Galaxy S 5 for subjective reasons, not objective reasons.

In case you haven't noticed I despise Touch-Wiz with a passion.

I have. So much that you let your hatred cloud your judgement and you throw logic and reason out the window.

I dislike TouchWiz as well. Hell the only reason why I haven't changed it for something like Cyanogenmod is because I haven't been able to find a camera app that's as good as the stock TouchWiz one. It's massive in size and doesn't perform that well. But that's not a valid reason to dismiss all the good things about the phones like you're doing.

Ok, but I still hate the Galaxy phones for everything other than the display. They don't really have much going for them when you consider the cost. Besides, the GS5's screen still consumed twice the power as some of its competitors using LCD.

You can hate it. I don't give a damn. However, you are failing to support your argument. It is a known fact that OLED consumes much less power than an LCD. OLEDs have the ability to switch a pixel completely off, while LCDs or LEDs can not; which is a major drawback for the LCDs and LEDs since they are dependent on the backlight being on constantly, and can not reach the "infinite contrast ratio" SAMOLEDs can.

Fact: OLED TVs cost more to manufacture, and has a higher price point. AMOLED TVs aren't even in the market yet due to pricing and manufacturing requirements. 

The S5 costs $50 more to build compared to the S4, while the S5 still sells for the same retail price. 

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-costs-256-to-build-50-more-than-iphone-5s-7000028493/

TouchWiz can bog down a phone. Yes that is a proven fact. However, you won't be able to say no to the goodies the S5 comes with. Define "worse".

Just leave. Go use your iPhone 3 somewhere else. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

can I change track while listening to music with that?

I would hope so but how would I know. It's not like I have one or know anyone that does. They haven't been sent out yet and there is a pic showing music stuff on the website and their video so they I guess are planning on having that ability.

All phone specs have an upper cap of usefulness.

330-400 dpi is it for screens.

Anyone with a brain connected to their wallet ignores fake bragging like this.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

All phone specs have an upper cap of usefulness.

330-400 dpi is it for screens.

Anyone with a brain connected to their wallet ignores fake bragging like this.

Wrong... Humans can see far more than 400 PPI so it's not useless at all. In fact, it's pretty useful for non-latin alphabets. Oh and the 2560x1440 display actually only has 366 PPI for blue and red since it has their "diamond subpixel" layout which has more green subpixels. So even by your own standards, this 2560x1440 display is not useless. In fact, it could go even higher before it becomes useless.

The title for "best smartphone display" is not purely for the high PPI either, it's for contrast, color accuracy, screen reflectiveness, color saturation, color balance, brightness, lowest brightness, color temperature and the list goes on.

You can hate it. I don't give a damn. However, you are failing to support your argument. It is a known fact that OLED consumes much less power than an LCD. OLEDs have the ability to switch a pixel completely off, while LCDs or LEDs can not; which is a major drawback for the LCDs and LEDs since they are dependent on the backlight being on constantly, and can not reach the "infinite contrast ratio" SAMOLEDs can.

OK

Fact: OLED TVs cost more to manufacture, and has a higher price point. AMOLED TVs aren't even in the market yet due to pricing and manufacturing requirements. 

The S5 costs $50 more to build compared to the S4, while the S5 still sells for the same retail price. 

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-costs-256-to-build-50-more-than-iphone-5s-7000028493/

Interesting

TouchWiz can bog down a phone. Yes that is a proven fact. However, you won't be able to say no to the goodies the S5 comes with. Define "worse".

Agreed for the first half, I define worse as having faster hardware but having that hardware wasted by shitty software. The Nexus 5 has slower hardware, but has stock android so it feels smoother and faster than the GS5. If the GS5 had stock Android it would a speed king no doubt.

Just leave. Go use your iPhone 3 somewhere else. 

Nexus 5* and I don't plan to.

Yep kill off these pre historic LCD panels on desktops already everyone is sick of them.

Not me, I love LCD more than AMOLED

Not me, I love LCD more than AMOLED

Then i guess you must really hate the colour black then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).