PREPARE YOUR WALLETS

Jerakl

Fuck you Nvidia! 599? Fuck off!

Im pissed now if this turns out to be true. Really, really pissed!

I'd pay 599$ for 2560 cores but not 2048. 

the real winner of this generation will probably be a 970. just like last Gx104/204 Generation (600 series)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Sometimes # doesn't matter. I'd rather have fewer more powerful cores then more less powerful ones.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The 599 card is for penis measuring and Nvidia knows it, and charges accordingly for it. 

I'm okay with 300-350 in a GPU. Anything more and I have to ask myself what I'm really getting. Rates of diminishing returns, especially as chips are getting more powerful each generation, getting the latest and greatest makes less and less sense. 

But hey, penis measuring! 

UNGH SO GOOD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the real winner of this generation will probably be a 970. just like last Gx104/204 Generation (600 series)

Well, I'll be watching for sure. It better be better than the 780ti.  I was forced to move early and start the new build without GPU so im just waiting on Nvidia now.....I will have to buy something. I'll just hope there will be something interesting to buy.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Sometimes # doesn't matter. I'd rather have fewer more powerful cores then more less powerful ones.

But we already know Maxwell performance over kepler because of the 750ti unless they can pull ~10% performance improvement over first generation maxwell per core I don't see 2048 being worth 599$

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Agreed.

The 599 card is for penis measuring and Nvidia knows it, and charges accordingly for it. 

I'm okay with 300-350 in a GPU. Anything more and I have to ask myself what I'm really getting. Rates of diminishing returns, especially as chips are getting more powerful each generation, getting the latest and greatest makes less and less sense. 

But hey, penis measuring! 

I was really really hoping the 980 would come in at the $499 US price point, $599 gets to be on the pricey side of what I want to pay.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Agreed.

I was really really hoping the 980 would come in at the $499 US price point, $599 gets to be on the pricey side of what I want to pay.

I'm pretty sure 780 came in at 699$

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

.... removes the dust off the wallet

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

But we already know Maxwell performance over kepler because of the 750ti unless they can pull ~10% performance improvement over first generation maxwell per core I don't see 2048 being worth 599$

Are you referring to the 750TI on reference design? The Windforce edition kicked royal ass. If these cards come fully unlocked AMD will be hurting to compete. GCN 1.2 isn't going to be energy efficient. I'm sorry but it just won't. AMD has yet to learn their lesson on that front.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm pretty sure 780 came in at 699$

I did a bit of reading and couldnt find a solid launch price, but this Anandtech article suggests it was at least at one point sold for $649.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7465/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-780770-price-cuts-gtx-780-ti-launch-date

So the $599 launch price of a 980 is an improvement.

Edit:

Wikipedia says the launch price of the 780 was $649 USD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_series

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I did a bit of reading and couldnt find a solid launch price, but this Anandtech article suggests it was at least at one point sold for $649.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7465/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-780770-price-cuts-gtx-780-ti-launch-date

So the $599 launch price of a 980 is an improvement.

All I remember was it was above 600$. I remember the decrease for the 780ti, that's about it. And my only point of reference.

At this price it might be 290X/780Ti for me...

Unless they deliver something amazing for 1440p, rumors are not the best.

Anyway, wait and see ;-)

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

970 seems like a winner so far. Now lets see what AMD brings to the table.

It'll most likely being interesting as well.

All I remember was it was above 600$. I remember the decrease for the 780ti, that's about it. And my only point of reference.

Wiki says $649. 

So I am thinking the $599 launch price is not a bad improvement. 

Are you referring to the 750TI on reference design? The Windforce edition kicked royal ass. If these cards come fully unlocked AMD will be hurting to compete. GCN 1.2 is nt going to be energy efficient. I'm sorry but it just won't. AMD has yet to learn their lesson on that front.

I wish they would already though. 750ti just destroyed everything in performance per watt. AMD wouldn't be able to keep up even in the future when nvidia only need 3200 cuda cores while AMD would need 43xx stream processors on their current architecture to match 3200 maxwell cores.

Computing enthusiast. 

Wiki says $649. 

So I am thinking the $599 launch price is not a bad improvement. 

For Nvidia, it's a great improvement.

I mean, they could've asked for as much as the 780TI given the extra VRAM.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No doubt, and with a 70 watt reduction, while achieving some amount of performance improvement. I am a bit impressed already.

I mean, they could've asked for as much as the 780TI given the extra VRAM.

Nvidia is always priced on the high side, which is why AMD is considered the great value option.

Nvidia is always priced on the high side, which is why AMD is considered the great value option.

Not anymore :)

Everyone doubted Nvidia's willingness to pass savings onto consumers when they said the production costs had come down. Of course, it's Nvidia who's on the defensive against AMD's x86 APUs which will be able to hybrid XFire with its mobile gpus going forward, and let's not forget Intel who's after both of their heads in the mobile realm.

There's blood in the water. Now we sharks get to eat.

GTX980 for $599.
Assuming this is legit, would mean 980Ti will be around ~$699+ then and Titan2 at ~$999. USD.
I just hope that the 980ti and titan2 drop at the same time or a week or two later. At least a paper launch so we know the specs.

Until I see benchmarks I still think the 980 is a 780ti with more vram and slight perf boost. Baby Maxwell.
The difference between the 780 and 780ti compared to the 980-980ti is going to be interesting. Will it be the same gap, less or more???

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER