Computer shuts down when demanding games are played

ofaas

Hello, I recently upgraded to a 780 ti and I installed several high stress games to benchmark them. I was dismayed to find that when playing Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light, my computer would shut off about 10 minutes in and the power button would flash, unable to switch it off unless I pulled the power cable. Along with my gpu, I'm using AMD FX 8350 with a stock cooler and 600 W psu. I'm also running this on Windows 7 x64. 

I tried benchmarking slightly less demanding games like Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 and I was able to play uninterrupted. I suspect that either my cpu is overheating or there isn't enough power being distributed across the motherboard. If you guys have done testing with a similar rig, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Sounds like it's overheating

I'd be the guy that rips it apart and replaces the TIM 

but it's probably a better idea to just RMA it

Downloading MSI Afterburner and turning the voltage and power down could possibly help if its not being supplied enough. 

Hello, I recently upgraded to a 780 ti and I installed several high stress games to benchmark them. I was dismayed to find that when playing Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light, my computer would shut off about 10 minutes in and the power button would flash, unable to switch it off unless I pulled the power cable. Along with my gpu, I'm using AMD FX 8350 with a stock cooler and 600 W psu. I'm also running this on Windows 7 x64. 

I tried benchmarking slightly less demanding games like Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 and I was able to play uninterrupted. I suspect that either my cpu is overheating or there isn't enough power being distributed across the motherboard. If you guys have done testing with a similar rig, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Have you tried monitoring the temperatures ? How old is the CPU anyways ( last time you've changed thermal compound ? / or it probably came pre-installed )

I personally would change the thermal compount as prior stated by Josh107, that sounds like a good idea, maybe upgrade to a higher end cooler? H105 or maybe a hyper 212 evo?

What case do you have?

Cases sometimes don't have good enough air flow (Or fans).

If you don't have the money due to the upgrade, maybe consider putting a fan (Yes, and actually fan, like a house fan) next to your computer to cool in until you fix the issue?

My cpus a year old and last time I changed the thermal paste was a couple months ago. My psu however is 3 years old and it's completely filled with dust (I can't figure out how to get it out) so I definitely gotta replace that. Here's the thing though, I never had this similar problem with my old gtx 760 so that would make this more likely a power issue correct?

I think it is a problem with your power supply, what brand is it? It could either be overheating and shutting off, or it could be the parts drawing more power than the power supply can provide. 600w should be enough for a 780ti, but only if it is a good brand.

My cpus a year old and last time I changed the thermal paste was a couple months ago. My psu however is 3 years old and it's completely filled with dust (I can't figure out how to get it out) so I definitely gotta replace that. Here's the thing though, I never had this similar problem with my old gtx 760 so that would make this more likely a power issue correct?

The 760 wouldn't be drawing as much power and providing so much heat as a 780ti, which explains why your PSU is causing the problems now.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Well you can get the dust out with compressed air, not that expensive way to go. So you probably want to try that out first, clean your system from dust.

Also you could bring out what brand is your PSU and is it 80+ Bronze ( or better ) certified ?

Preeetty sure 600w isn't enough to run 780ti... and yes please replace that stock cooler to an hyper 212 evo (it's as cheap as few lollipops!)... Couldn't find any official statement on how much 780ti really needs power but 780 has minimum requirement for psu of 600w (I expect 780ti to be similar or a bit more demanding) so really 600w is pushing it... even more so if you are planning/have OC:ed it...

If you really have OC:ed that card then it's pretty much the problem... I seriously recommend something atleast 750 - 800w for 780ti... and oh yea...

Another problem might be that if you have OC:ed your cpu and it overheats -> computer shut itself down to protect it's component... this might occurs only when GPU is using it's full power due to the fact that once there is 2 components heating the case up, the ambient temperature will rise and cooling will be worse... especially when your using stock cooler!!! those are not worth even the metal used on them >.>... I mean really... never use stock cooler... go mow your grandma's lawn and get 20$ and buy hyper 212 evo...

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

An update, I managed to fix the issue. It turned out to be a power problem. I'm on a 750 watt psu now and I'm able to play uninterrupted. Woot.

I would check Event Viewer to see what the last event was. Also, another good thing to try would be to tap F8 when starting up your computer. There should be an option to prevents your computer from turning off automatically. You may be getting a BSOD, but the computer restarts so quickly that you're unable to see the actual error. If your computer still restarts without displaying an error messages I'd say it's pretty safe to say that your PSU needs to be upgraded.

Edit: Just saw your last post. Glad you were able to fix it!