My PC turns itself off and then immediately back on. Cycle continues forever.

sina
Go to solution Solved by QAZ,

I had a similar (ish) problem with mine a few weeks ago. Have you checked that all of the power supply cables are properly plugged in on both ends (psu end and the component that it is powering). Maybe try unplugging them and re plugging them in to make sure

Hi all,

I just finished building a new rig for myself and, for some reason, it keeps turning itself off and then turning back on seconds later. Only to have the issue immediately afterwards. I've uploaded a video to YouTube here that shows the issue. The components in the rig are a Core i7-5820K, Corsair H100i cooler, Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard, 16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, Asus R9 290 Direct CU II OC, Corsair AX860 PSU, Intel 730 Series 240 GB SSD, and a Carbide Air 540 case. Before this issue happened, the CPU managed high 20s in idle and high 50s under full load with Prime95.

Interestingly this problem was temporarily fixed when I moved it to another room, reseated the RAM, and tried using Windows 8.1 on the machine there...but it started happening again when I moved it back to my room. I then figured it might be a problem with the power in my room, so I moved it back to the other room again (which is where I filmed the video linked above) only to have it keep suffering from the same issue.

I figure it might be either the motherboard or PSU based on a quick Google search, but the fact that the RAM reseating made it work before (at least temporarily) is making me scratch my head. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: I should note that the BIOS in stock settings, nothing is overclocked. The BIOS is also on the latest version Asus provides.

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

Does it POST?

It doesn't even get that far. No input on my monitor.

School machine: 2012 MacBook Pro, i7-3720QM, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 256GB SSD, GeForce GT 650M

Gaming machine: Asus X99 Deluxe, i7-5820K, H100i, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 256GB 850 Pro, 2x WD10EZEX, GeForce GTX 980, AX860

It doesn't even get that far. No input on my monitor.

Do you have a debug LED on your motherboard? Check your motherboard manual for the code that it gives you. What is it?

Sounds like a psu problem.

get any bios errors or anything? tried isolating ram sticks? 

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Sounds like a psu problem.

Or I'm wrong, thats a pretty big possibility.

It's not a PSU problem at all

Try 1 stick of ram at a time, and swap out for the next if it keeps happening. Sometimes this can happen if you got faulty memory.

It's not a PSU problem at all

k inform us of your spot on diagnosis pls

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Try 1 stick of ram at a time, and swap out for the next if it keeps happening. Sometimes this can happen if you got faulty memory.

This is what I did before in the other room and it worked fine. Plugged 1 stick in at a time until I ended up plugging all of them in. It worked fine while it was in that room. Problem resumed when I moved the PC to my room again. And yes all the RAM sticks were secured properly.

Do you have a debug LED on your motherboard? Check your motherboard manual for the code that it gives you. What is it?

Yep, 00 (video here). Code means "not used" according to the motherboard manual.

Check your 24 pin and 8 pin cpu connectors. Might check the pci cables as well.

The fact that this computer used to work for a while before is perplexing. The cables are securely plugged in.

This might sound stupid, but have you checked your front panel connections? The restart button/power button cable could be loose and could be making your computer restart. It could be your case. Try plugging it out and using a screwdriver to turn your PC on.

My old computer restarted randomly over and over after I accidentally hit it with a chair leg and doing that fixed it. (PC was to the right of me and I jerked the chair to the right, the leg hit it right on the side panel and my comp restarted)

I tried booting using the power button on the motherboard, and lo and behold...it worked. Until I removed the USB attached to the front of the case. Then it went back to this failed state.

I unplugged the power again, waited a little while, and pressed it again. It worked. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I tried booting using the power button on the motherboard, and lo and behold...it worked. Until I removed the USB attached to the front of the case. Then it went back to this failed state.

I unplugged the power again, waited a little while, and pressed it again. It worked. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Okay, so while it worked again for a little while, it then rebooted and kept having the same issue again while I was outside of the room. Even with the front panel connectors, front audio, and front USB 3.0 cables disconnected (effectively making the case nothing but a support structure), it still keeps having that issue. I'm at a loss for words.

Okay, so while it worked again for a little while, it then rebooted and kept having the same issue again while I was outside of the room. Even with the front panel connectors, front audio, and front USB 3.0 cables disconnected (effectively making the case nothing but a support structure), it still keeps having that issue. I'm at a loss for words.

Do you have anything else plugged into it? Like a CD drive/fan controller/sound card, etc.? Also, it might not work, but you could try taking it apart and booting the pc outside the case to completely rule out the front panel connectors or something that the case might be doing.

Do you have anything else plugged into it? Like a CD drive/fan controller/sound card, etc.? Also, it might not work, but you could try taking it apart and booting the pc outside the case to completely rule out the front panel connectors or something that the case might be doing.

At this point, I'm convinced something isn't secured because putting the computer on its side fixed the issue entirely. It's probably the cables isn't it?

I had a similar (ish) problem with mine a few weeks ago. Have you checked that all of the power supply cables are properly plugged in on both ends (psu end and the component that it is powering). Maybe try unplugging them and re plugging them in to make sure

i7 4770k currently @ stock | 2x Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x in crossfire | 16 GB GSkill trident X @ 2400 Mhz | Asus z87 Sabertooth | NZXT h440 | NZXT Kraken x60 | Corsair RM1000 | BenQ XL2420TE

Last update: Yes, it was (stupidly) the CPU power cable not being completely attached to the PSU, since it's a fully modular PSU. Thanks a bunch to all of you. <3