Defective Graphics Card? Bottleneck CPU?

His biggest bottleneck is his crappy Asus M5A97LE board.

4+1 powerphase and no heatspreader on the vrm area.

Got any technical explanation that his board is the bottleneck for a ~70-90 watt chip (divide it by 1.x to get a realistic load such as gaming)? To give you a quick idea since you said Intel doesn't require beefy vreg design;

power_eps_load.gif

Cut 30% off the 8350 = 6300 power consumption. 3570K's were clocking at naked boards to 5GHz quite easily so lets stop nagging about some heatsinks. Quite funny that you tell him that his board is a 4+1 phase when it basically has the same exact VRM. Both of your boards are advertised as 6+2+2 phases quite ironic uh. Your board bottlenecks as well, because of 4+1 vreg design and Haswell doesnt require beefy vreg design like AMD FX 8 cores that isn't terrible but people will never learn

I'd have to say it's his motherboard, I wouldnt be surprisedif it's throttling down to save it's vrms.

ever try disabling a couple cores to get some more juice out of the 6?

I'd have to say it's his motherboard, I wouldnt be surprisedif it's throttling down to save it's vrms.

ever try disabling a couple cores to get some more juice out of the 6?

It's not. His CPU will only consume 50% of its max draw so vrm is irrelevant

Got any technical explanation that his board is the bottleneck for a ~70-90 watt chip (divide it by 1.x to get a realistic load such as gaming)? To give you a quick idea since you said Intel doesn't require beefy vreg design;

power_eps_load.gif

Cut 30% off the 8350 = 6300 power consumption. 3570K's were clocking at naked boards to 5GHz quite easily so lets stop nagging about some heatsinks. Quite funny that you tell him that his board is a 4+1 phase when it basically has the same exact VRM. Both of your boards are advertised as 6+2+2 phases quite ironic uh. Your board bottlenecks as well, because of 4+1 vreg design and Haswell doesnt require beefy vreg design like AMD FX 8 cores that isn't terrible but people will never learn

First of all i have a totaly diffrent board then op has.

Secondly, you are just spewing with % numbers which are based on just guesses, nothing with facts.

Just do research about that particular board he has, and the board i have, before you spew missinformed bullshit.

The problem with you, is that you believe everything wich is on a graph arround on the internet. without any physical proof.

So please if you wanne correct me, do it with vaillid proof,

JUst dig arround about the particular Asus M5A97LE R2.0 and trottle issues.

Because thats a bit more rellevant.

His mobo wille be biggest bottleneck he has, because it trottles the cpu. even at stock speeds.

There is tons of proof about this issue with that particular board, arround on the interwebs

Next to that offcourse the FX8350 will also bottleneck the GTX780Ti abit aswell.

So we basicly talk about 2 "potential" bottleneck scenario´s.

If he just want to solve the whole issue at once. just because he plays indie and mmo, is just to make a switch to intel 4690K. But yeah it will be very costy basicly.

But it would be the best thing i suppose.

Because the particular games he plays, are just very badly optimized. :)

Being delusional again?  

OP's board: http://www.asus.com/be-nl/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/

Yours: http://www.asus.com/be-nl/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO_R20/specifications/

Tell me whats the difference besides there's a heatsink? You wanted physical proof you have it, you said his board its the bottleneck because of his 4+1 phase and heatsinks and your board apparently doesnt bottleneck. How childish. 

If you have no idea about power consumpion and AMD boards, then just STFU  ;)

If you know so much about AMD boards & VRM, tell me what the difference is between Analog & Digital VRM. Tell me which component(s) is/are digital. Tell me which benefits it has. Answer it. VRM & PSU's have something very similar, tell me what. And a dumb question; tell me what you find inside inductors?

I remember this post when you understood jack shit of what AC/DC PSU efficiency means.

deoWkNM.png

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132357-new-psu-for-the-future/

Don't tell me I know nothing, pulling numbers out of my thumb when you disregarded EVERY BENCHMARK. You're just a fanboy, denying any benchmarks, tralalalala AMD is the best. You were even claiming that a 8350 is faster than a 6 core HW-e in virtualization rofl.

Being delusional again?  

OP's board: http://www.asus.com/be-nl/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/

Yours: http://www.asus.com/be-nl/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO_R20/specifications/

Tell me whats the difference besides there's a heatsink? You wanted physical proof you have it, you said his board its the bottleneck because of his 4+1 phase and heatsinks and your board apparently doesnt bottleneck. How childish. 

If you know so much about AMD boards & VRM, tell me what the difference is between Analog & Digital VRM. Tell me which component(s) is/are digital. Tell me which benefits it has. Answer it. VRM & PSU's have something very similar, tell me what. And a dumb question; tell me what you find inside inductors?

I remember this post when you understood jack shit of what AC/DC PSU efficiency means.

deoWkNM.png

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132357-new-psu-for-the-future/

Don't tell me I know nothing, pulling numbers out of my thumb when you disregarded EVERY BENCHMARK. You're just a fanboy, denying any benchmarks, tralalalala AMD is the best. You were even claiming that a 8350 is faster than a 6 core HW-e in virtualization rofl.

Its pointless to discuss it with you

My board also has diffrent more higher current chokes and what not.

My Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 has the same vreg design as the Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 just saying.

But im not even going to discuss it with you.

These boards are totaly diffrent ;)

My advice for op is, if you wanne solve the whole bottleneck problem, just switch to a 4690K. or similar.

Because ps2 is a badly optimized game.

My board also has diffrent more higher current chokes and what not.

No it doesn't, you don't even have to count it if you understood anything about VRM. Don't tell me I know nothing about VRM when you clearly are dodging basic VRM questions. Explain us whats inside a choke? A power phase? An egg? Logan? Whats so frustrating about them people mostly QQ about it, like you usually do if youre disproven?

Power was measured from the 8pin EPS cable, from a reputable source, thats nearly 100% accurate - hard evidence even the AMD CEO wouldn't dismiss. Is there some sort of AMD religion that you deny the reality?  

And yes the FX8350 is better at KVM virtualization then Haswell-E 5820K yes definitely.

But again, dont speak about things you have no clue about.

BUt thats irrelevant offtopic nonsense :)

>stuck at 71% GPU usage

lol k den.

That guy has something else fucking up his results. My 8350 rarely dips below 90% apart from the occasional stutter.

i made this video and the % you are refering to is fanspeed not GPU load and yes it was pinned at 98% with the FX i upgraded to a core i7-4770K and i get the same results not a single more FPS and GPU load is just as consistent...the intel is much better in many games but for BF4 it made absolutely no change what so ever.

Here's my video with the GPU load shown:

Another one here:

CPU load on each cores is lower on the i7 though...and lol to me in the second video i mentionned theres no way i was to upgrade to an intel cpu yet about a month after i shot this i bought a brand spanking new i7 :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

His Motherboard is just rubbish.

like i said.

But Faa is disagreeing with that lol :D

Anyway, The games he is playing a badly optimized, an intel cpu wil definitely help him some.

Cause intel has better ipc.

The FX8350 will slighly bottleneck a 780 /780Ti thats not a secret.

Op basicly suffers from 2 issues, his mobo being rubbish.

and a 780Ti which suffer some bottlenecking from the 8350, in cpu + gpu bound scenario´s.

Or badly optimized games. like borderlands

Farcry3 is a GPU bound game mainaly, since "OP" gets bottlenecked there aswell.

I can only think of his mobo, must be throttle his cpu somewhere.

And that wouldn´t realy suprice me.

Still the unlocked haswell i5/i7 are indeed better for gaming, cause of its better ipc.

In those badly optimized games like borderlands, DayZ, LoL, WoW.

Some games still relay allot on ipc. especialy MMO´s and indie´s.

So i think like i allready adviced, i would switch to Intel, if you realy play allot of planetside, borderlands and such games.

But for BF4 or Farcry it wont be worth it.

His biggest bottleneck is his crappy Asus M5A97LE board.

4+1 powerphase and no heatspreader on the vrm area.

So you could guess what happens, wenn you going to push a FX8350 on it right? ;)

Even a 7870 will get bottlenecked with that cpu + mobo combo.

Simpley because that board is not made for such a power asking cpu.

The vrm´s chokes, and northbridge will overheat as hell, even on stock speed.

The cpu just gets throttled by the overheating vrm´s.

Still the FX8350 can bottleneck a 780Ti in some games, that are only single threaded.

But it shouldn´t be that terrible.

Its obvious that his system is unstable.

And thats offcourse not so supricing with that cheapAss mobo.

AMD FX 8 cores just need a beefy vreg design, its not like intel.

The Thing is he can´t overclock, otherwise that board will selfcombust.

People just never learn.

Motherboards doesn't affect game performance, maybe (4-5%). His main problem is CPU.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Motherboards doesn't affect game performance, maybe (4-5%). His main problem is CPU.

it does when your cpu is throttling because the vrm is about to toast itself.

it does when your cpu is throttling because the vrm is about to toast itself.

In most cases they doesn't. This happens very rare. And in this particular situation, his main problem is a CPU as I already said.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

In most cases they doesn't. This happens very rare. And in this particular situation, his main problem is a CPU as I already said.

You used an 8350 on a low end board? VRM throttling happens all the time on AM3+. Even on high end boards like the 990fx-ud3 had issues. And that was heatsinked.

You used an 8350 on a low end board? VRM throttling happens all the time on AM3+. Even on high end boards like the 990fx-ud3 had issues. And that was heatsinked.

Even if he would have high-end board & no throttling problem, 8350 still would bottleneck games with GTX 780ti. So just changing the motherboard doesn't solve his problem. It's better if he sticks with i5/i7 & z chipset motherboard.

Even if he would have high-end board & no throttling problem, 8350 still would bottleneck games with GTX 780ti. So just changing the motherboard doesn't solve his problem. It's better if he sticks with i5/i7 & z chipset motherboard.

I know that. I was just pointing out this statement isn't entirely true:

Personally I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve spending the OP's money.

That's what everyone has to get through their heads.

4339143+_216d1f42325867bc1346127b8becfb0

That is all.

[rant]

The game is poorly threaded, which doesn't help any CPU. But an intel would handle it better, thanks to it's higher ipc.

However, it's not our money to spend, that would be the OP's decision, so we can merely suggest solutions.

We've already ran the get an i5 thing into the ground, I'm personally sick of it. Yes, I get that it's faster for games with <4 threads, No, I don't get why you would pay ANOTHER $270 for a new CPU & board. (seriously, dont give me that sell the 8350 crap, the resell value is terrible, as you can buy a brand new 6300 for $99.)

so, can we stop focusing on buy buy buy, when we should be working on fix fix fix?

[/rant]

[rant]

The game is poorly threaded, which doesn't help any CPU. But an intel would handle it better, thanks to it's higher ipc.

However, it's not our money to spend, that would be the OP's decision, so we can merely suggest solutions.

We've already ran the get an i5 thing into the ground, I'm personally sick of it. Yes, I get that it's faster for games with <4 threads, No, I don't get why you would pay ANOTHER $270 for a new CPU & board. (seriously, dont give me that sell the 8350 crap, the resell value is terrible, as you can buy a brand new 6300 for $99.)

so, can we stop focusing on buy buy buy, when we should be working on fix fix fix?

[/rant]

You can't fix it. When CPU is weak it's weak, it can't do job well & there's nothing you can do unless you replace it with the strong one.

If his board throttles;

In my computer I have a FX-8350 and a GTX 780TI. I got my Graphics card about a week ago and I am not happy about the FPS boost I am getting over my 750ti. In Assassins Creed 4, Maxed settings, I get around 55-65 FPS, which I am fine with. On Borderlands 2 Maxed without Physx I am getting around 55-75 FPS, Borderlands 2 on my 750TI I got around 65-90 FPS on the game. On Far Cry 3, I am getting around 60-80 FPS Maxed, on my 750TI I got around 45-70 FPS. On Cinebench, I scored 75 FPS with my 780TI, and with my 750TI I only got 10 FPS less. This has pissed me off all week, Is my FX-8350 Holding me back from getting performance? Or do I just have a defective GPU? The 750TI was only $150 and my ASUS 780TI was $580. Shouldn't I be getting better FPS then I am with it? I am leaning towards the processor, but I am not sure. Yeah I know AMD isn't as good as an Intel Processor, but I am getting a I7 4790K around Christmas. What do you guys think is my problem? BTW, I am running on a 1920 x 1080P monitor

​Thank you for your help in advance, and please no stupid responses.

Cinebench Score: http://gyazo.com/b2aeba2d56d604470562ac9e0d90f8c4

Heaven Benchmark Score was 59.67 FPS ( Couldn't screenshot it)

If his CPU was throttling, which would make it a massive bottleneck, he wouldn't gain anything from a better GPU but he is getting a good improvement in AC4/FC3 but in BL2 (which I showed is quite lowly threaded and massively CPU bound) he didn't get any advantage of a 780ti meaning his CPU was bottlenecking his 750ti already. My CPU even bottlenecks one 780 in co-op mode when you're masspulling and zerging everything.

1AIPg1o.jpg

Just 3 threads in the process only, rest of them are doing nothing. Clearly would get a huge improvement in BL2 over his AMD with Intel. If his board throttles or not, it's not worth spending more money into AM3+, would be much better off selling his board/cpu and getting a 4670k. Honestly the OP is even better off disabling 4 cores and getting some OC's out of it than having all of your cores enabled, getting some IPC.

There's no fix for him. Let me remind you;

​Thank you for your help in advance, and please no stupid responses.

Cinebench Score: http://gyazo.com/b2aeba2d56d604470562ac9e0d90f8c4

Heaven Benchmark Score was 59.67 FPS ( Couldn't screenshot it)

Digital-Storm-Bolt-2-Cinebench-All.jpg

It's a cpu bottleneck. 8350 has problems running a single 290.

CB opengl test is singlethreaded. Watch at the BL screenshot I included in this post you're gaining a double amount of frames going with Intel. Lets be honest about AMD's performance, disregarding its massively outdated single threaded performance when people are making threads because of it gets nobody anywhere.

guys again for god sake! trashing the fx 8350 for no reason at all, its almost psychotic!

to fix 90% of your problem get a new and better 990fx mobo(~150$ for the asrock 990fx fatal1ty killer, i have one and its a good mobo you can pull the hell out of the vrms and they will be always at 60ºc) ,

the other 10% is the cpu, with the right overclock on the core( 4.7~5.0) and in the cpunb(2400~2600) you can restrict the cpu botleneck to 3~5%( gpu loads 93~97%), you just have to provide good cooling( h100i or something like that)

if you have money to spend go intel z97 i5-4690K or something

guys again for god sake! trashing the fx 8350 for no reason at all, its almost psychotic!

to fix 90% of your problem get a new and better 990fx mobo(~150$ for the asrock 990fx fatal1ty killer, i have one and its a good mobo you can pull the hell out of the vrms and they will be always at 60ºc) ,

the other 10% is the cpu, with the right overclock on the core( 4.7~5.0) and in the cpunb(2400~2600) you can restrict the cpu botleneck to 3~5%( gpu loads 93~97%), you just have to provide good cooling( h100i or something like that)

What if he buys new motherboard & he's still having that problem? It will be just wasted money.

What if he buys new motherboard & he's still having that problem? It will be just wasted money.

What if he buys a CPU and mobo and it turns out to be a memory issues on the GPU? 

Meh you're recommending him a new board, that isn't going to fix his issues since there aren't any throttling issues, which costs as much as a i5. 8350 and a 150$ board is just stupid, costs even more than a xeon or locked i7/H81 combo while performing worse in every aspect.

Stop using silly excuses when I'm even CPU bound in BL2 so every 8350 at whatever suicide clock will bottleneck as well by a larger amount. Wanna see some CPU bound scenario's? -> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/184204-amd-fx-8350-vs-i5-4670k/page-3#entry2490056

Got an idea how old the 8350 is?

FINIs0u.png

koTWThY.png

Thats how old it is. AMD hasn't been doing shit for the past 8 years other than bumping the clock speeds a bit up.

guys i have already posted benchs from anandatech that support my opinion ,you may like it or not, i dont care i only want to help OP to get is rig working with less money has possible.

i dont give a sh**T about AMD vs Intel, and fanboys opinions

and as i said if OP have money to spend go Z97 at a cost of 300$ or more