Setting up a home network

CptNugget

Hi!

First off this is my first actual post here so be gentle guys! :)

So, I live in finland and I just moved to a new apartment which has included fiber network. So basically I have an ethernet port in my wall instead of a regular phone line connection. I have used the internet with a ethernet cable run straight from the wall to my computer, but I would also need connections to my TV and a wifi for my mobile devices. So the question is what equipment do I need? 

My internet providers customer service told me to buy a vdsl2 modem but shouldnt it work with just a router too? Im really confused about the difference between modems and routers..

Please help me and ask more info if something was missing! thanks 

if im reading this right i think you would just need a hub like this 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-8-Port-Gigabit-Desktop-Switch-GS608UK-106052-/191108415127?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingHubs_RL&hash=item2c7ef2fe97

cable from wall to hub, then plug all your other devices into the hub 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Yes, so i would need wired connection fot the PC and maybe to the TV also. And wifi for mobile devices (and tv)

So do you have a standard RJ45 ethernet connection to your wall?

Was there any setup required when you connected straight to your computer?

If not, you can buy a regular wireless router. My personal recommendation is the Asus RT-N66U or newer. They're coming down in price (here in the UK at least), and have good range and speed on them.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

Okay so I had to connect my apartment to the buildings network by an ethernet cable bridged in the fuse box, then the only "setup" I had to do was to get the login info from the internet provider and plug the ethernet cable from the wall (standard RJ45) to my computer. So there was no software setup to do or anything. I just plugged the cable in and logged in.

Now I have used to change the ethernet cable coming from the wall between my pc and the tv depending which one im needing the internet for, no setup needed between the chage. My sony bravia smart tv finds the internet connection straight up as well.

So I could just use a router to divide the connetction to the pc and tv and to create a wireless access point for my wireless devices am I right?