What are Cuda Cores ?

keycolony

What are Cuda Cores and is it better when a graphics card has more of them, cause i saw that the new gtx 980 only has 2048 -.- that is less then the "old 780" ... :D

They're pretty much processing units. The more, the better.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I asked Linus to do an "As Fast As Possible" about it. Cuz I don't know myself either, ha

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

CUDA - Compute Unified Device Architecture.

It's an NVidia technology that helps drive PhysX, in simple terms.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

NVIDIA's fancy name for cores. Besides graphics processing, they can be used by programs to accelerate CPU computations in some situations, a feature NVIDIA calls CUDA.

More is generally better, just keep in mind cores are not the only part of a GPU's design. If you are comparing two cards like the GTX 780 Ti and the 780, they are both part of the Kepler family so everything else about them is the same. In that case more cores means more performance. However if you compare them to the GTX 980 which is a different design, it is not so simple, because there are things besides the core count that have also changed.

Without getting into massive detail they are basically processors for the GPU but obviously it's a tad more complicated than that. Generally, more is better but there is obviously more stuff that will determine performance as well. 

so does that mean that the 980 will perform worse than the 780?

Nope, there are a lot of factors, but if the leaked specs are true the performance will indeed be slighty worse.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Nope, there are a lot of factors, but if the "leaked" specs are true the performance will indeed be slighty worse.

The key word is "Leaked"

Because he had a hard drive.

so does that mean that the 980 will perform worse than the 780?

not necesseraly because with new architectures the cuda cores that process the data gets more effective so the same cuda core count will perform better on a newer gen card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

CUDA cores is nvidia's word for Stream Processors. There is nothing special about them.

CUDA cores is nvidia's word for Stream Processors. There is nothing special about them.

everything is special about them the are the heart and soul of the GPu they are what actualy process the datas...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

everything is special about them the are the heart and soul of the GPu they are what actualy process the datas...

They are nothing more than Stream Processors. CUDA is just a propriotary name for them. nvidia did not reinvent the wheel they just changes the name.

They are nothing more than Stream Processors. CUDA is just a propriotary name for them. nvidia did not reinvent the wheel they just changes the name.

it's a GPU core who said they ''reinvent the wheel'' or who said they are ''more than stream processor'' you just get very irritated when the discussion turns about nvidia gpu aint it?

it's a GPU core who said they ''reinvent the wheel'' or who said they are ''more than stream processor'' you just get very irritated when the discussion turns about nvidia gpu aint it?

You seem to be getting real defensive about nvidia's Stream Processors/Cuda cores.

You seem to be getting real defensive about nvidia's Stream Processors/Cuda cores.

hahaha you should be aware that i couldnt care less about what they call them i simply answered OP's question.

hahaha you should be aware that i couldnt care less about what they call them i simply answered OP's question.

As did I then your proceeded to troll the post and claim that they are all special and such when they are just in fact Stream Processors much like the ones that AMD has. nvidia are just being hipsters and calling them something they are not.

CUDA - Compute Unified Device Architecture.

It's an NVidia technology that helps drive PhysX, in simple terms.

CUDA != PhysX

Nvida calls its cores CUDA cores because you can use them with CUDA.

CUDA makes it possible to use C to program for GPU compute.

It's bassicly an alternative to OpenCL, which nvidia's gpu's arent that good at.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro