How much more reliable are SSDs compared to HDDs?

PositiveProton

I'm building a computer for recording music for my dad, and previously, he lost all of his work because all of his (all 3 of them, not even kidding) external drives died.

I'm planning on setting up two 500 GB drives in RAID 1, so he'll have some kind of failsafe, and also a 128 GB SSD for storing finished pieces.  I'm going with an SSD, because I've been told they don't fail.  Is this true?

EDIT: Yeah, I know, back up your stuff.

Pretty reliable, just don't defrag them. Always remember to back up your stuff

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

They're significantly more reliable as there's no moving parts. If it happens to get dropped, it's less likely to break, and if you shake it while in operation - nothing will happen. SSDs do fail, but they're less likely to fail. SSDs also don't require defragging, and if you defrag it, it'll reduce its lifespan.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They are much less likely to fail, as they have no moving parts, and tend to have much longer warranties, which mean the companies stand behind their products. However, like always you need to back up your data. Whether it is a ssd or hard drive, you still need a backup. You can't fully trust a single drive to never fail, so you always need a back up. 

This is true, SSD's are way more realiable than HDD's. The setup your talking about would work great. But if you want your pc to truly be fail safe, i would reccomend purchasing a 64gb ssd just for windows. This will make your fathers computer  very reliable. 

Day and night.

First of all, you dont need to be afraid of dropping it, or even moving it while it is on.

Secondly, SSDs never fail, only if you re-write 5-10GB per day they will eventually run out of writing cycles.

Lastly, no mechanical parts moving.

If those are not enough, I don't know what it is.

Hope it helped.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Some newer SSDs are rated at 20GB/day of writing for 5 years. I was surprised to see that number personally. Think it's the OCZ Vector.

That said, if you avoid frequent write/erase cycles, it'll last a very long time. I've left my 128GB running only the OS and some major programs (Photoshop, Solidworks, MATLAB, just for the slightly faster load times) and right now, it's at 42/128GB in over a year. 28 of that was the OS.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If it is good condition's SSD, it will be more reliable choice for your storage. But if something wrong with your SSD, it is so hard to recover your data. Last time I bought a Team Xtreme S3 120GB SSD for my client, it dies after 3 days and I need to RMA these thing. If you have a harddrive sometimes you can still read your data and backup it ASAP before you do RMA, i have this situation when I bought WDC 160GB HDD, first it goes bad after 3 month, got replacement, aaand it goes bad again after 1 week, then I replace it with a Seagate HDD and it works until now.

I write 30+GB a day to my SSD  and my OCZ is still going at 25TB host writes. My Current Plextor 512 M5P Extreme is at 8TB, both very awesome drives