27 inch 1080p question

nils925

Hello everybody, I don't really know how to ask this question, it may sound a bit wierd, but is FullHD 1920x1080 still nice on a 27 inch monitor? Or is the screen to big for that resolution to look nice and should I look for a 2560x1440? The reason I want a 27" monitor is because I want an IPS panel with good reaction times and a certain LG monitor suits those requirements, but it is 27 inch. Also, I don't really have an idea of how big 27" is, is it too big to just sit on a table like 15cm away?

Thanks, Nils

1080P is alright at that size if you sit further back. I'd recommend a 2560x1440 IPS Korean monitor from eBay though. I got this one myself (http://goo.gl/eJNOu) and it's incredible. 

I don't really have anything bad to say about 1080p on a 27 inch. That said there is a noticable diffrence when you then sit in front of a 1440p monitor. And as ThatDamnHacker said you could get a korean monitor from eBay, they really have upped the quality the past 6 month.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

At 15cm, I would go with 23" 1080p IPS instead. Korean monitor will be fine too but I wouldn't recommended one though. From what I know, you can't calibrate them so not a very good choice :\

At 15cm, I would go with 23" 1080p IPS instead. Korean monitor will be fine too but I wouldn't recommended one though. From what I know, you can't calibrate them so not a very good choice :\

You can calibrate them through your GPU but not the monitor itself. Not really a massive issue, still looks gorgeous.

The Acer H236HLbid might suit your needs.  Don't pay attention to response time specs by the way, there is no standard way of measuring them and they're basically meaningless specs.  I game on an IPS panel all the time and I haven't had any problems with ghosting; people make a bigger deal about response time than it really deserves.

Korean monitors are good but the panel at that price is their only redeeming factor; they have very limited inputs and stands, cheap casing, and if you have any problems with them, they're very expensive to return.

You can calibrate them through your GPU but not the monitor itself. Not really a massive issue, still looks gorgeous.

Yea but that creates banding, and everything, especially gradients looks like mess. Also, the adjustments are not as good as on the monitor.

I went form a 24 to 27" 1080p monitor, it was a bit noticable with that kind of resolusion being screched out, i almost had to get a little bit more distance between.

It doesnt take long to get used to it though, right now i cant tell what so ever, and i setuped up with a much better display as my old one was typical LCD, this is a nice IPS LED display with amazing dynamic color boost technology inside, i just couldnt be happier.

| Core i5 3570k @4.5GHz | Antec Kuhler 920 | CoolerMaster HAF XM | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | Corsair TX750W |  
             | GTX 680 @+165/+690 | OCZ Vertex4 128GB x2 | SB 500GB & 320GB | G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB DDR3 1866 |

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I think I'll still go with my original screen, and maybe just shove it back a bit. I just realised that my TV (I am now assembling my first pc ever, I played console previously) has a resolution of 1280x720, so I think the 1080p resolution will amaze me anyway.

Yea but that creates banding, and everything, especially gradients looks like mess. Also, the adjustments are not as good as on the monitor.

Then again with all those adjustments you add more input lag...

No not really. It depends on how fast the color processor is and circuit design. For example, EIZO has a gaming monitor, not too expensive either, 23inch, 1080p, IPS, with lots of features, and has a near 0 input lag. Quite impressive actually.

Anything bellow 30ms is fine for gaming, of course not ideal, but it's not something visible to most. Beside all monitors talk and suggested are well under 30ms. If you are a hard core FPS player where you somehow manage to see the lag, well you should not purchase an IPS panel in the first place.

No not really. It depends on how fast the color processor is and circuit design. For example, EIZO has a gaming monitor, not too expensive either, 23inch, 1080p, IPS, with lots of features, and has a near 0 input lag. Quite impressive actually.

Anything bellow 30ms is fine for gaming, of course not ideal, but it's not something visible to most. Beside all monitors talk and suggested are well under 30ms. If you are a hard core FPS player where you somehow manage to see the lag, well you should not purchase an IPS panel in the first place.

And where is all this proof you speak of?Links anything?And what monitor are you running now?And a zero input lag tested by who?I have seen there claims..But by manufactor claims then my monitor has a 80,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio lmao.. :)

EIZO FORIS FS2333. EIZO is known for making professional grade monitor, as well as medical, clinical, and for surgery. They also do specialized monitors for industry, and air traffic control.

Just recently they entered the high-end consumer grade monitor market, quiet aggressively I would say, with this gaming monitor.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/index.html

In depth Review: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-foris-fs2333-bk-part9.html

With a signal delay of just 0.8 milliseconds, the Eizo FS2333 is one of those monitors with practically no lag, as promised in the advertisements, with such minimal values rarely to be found even in the earlier cathode ray tube models.[...]

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-foris-fs2333-bk-part9.html#Lag

Right now, I am using the Dell U2410. A 1920x1200, 16:10, 24inch, true 8-bit color per channel H-IPS panel.