Athlon 5150 w/ MSI AM1

kennethnakasone

(Frys had a sale for the Athlon 5150 and AM1i the other day, and I decided to build a system with it.)

So, I'd like to ask if there's something you would like me to test on the computer! Like...real world tests? Stuff beyond synthetics? I'm not sure what to call it. Any question/requests will be considered! Results/Reviews/Observations will be added to the Peasant's Thoughts (PT) list.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I should try using the computer for.

Specs:

Athlon 5150
MSI AM1i

4GB Patriot 1333MHz (One Module)

220 Watt PSU

150GB 5400RPM 2.5in HDD

Windows 8.1 Enterprise Trial (83d remaining as of 9/15/2014)

PT

O Windows 8.1 booting feels really fast. Like...single digits to log in, barely double digits to get into the desktop. Maybe I'm exaggerating.

O Radeon HD 8400 appears with 512MB in CPU-Z

O Athlon 5150's TDP appears as 24W instead of 25W in CPU-Z. Or wait, is 24 correct?
O My hard drive makes more noise than the stock cooler.

O Open Broadcaster Software seems to work (in File Output Mode) despite saying the CPU is too weak.

O The first motherboard actually died 11 days into use. I wasn't able to do an exchange, so I just got cash back and bought another MSI AM1i (ended up paying $7 extra).

O The motherboard's instruction manual was rather unhelpful. I'm willing to elaborate if you're curious.

? May try playing Mabinogi
? May try playing Battlefield 3

? May try playing League of Legends

I thought, maybe if the PT got long enough, I could perhaps make a video...? I've wanted an excuse to take the After Effects trial for a spin.

Hahaha, I'm getting ahead of myself.

...and if no one cares about how AM1 performs then....well I'll feel a bit sad.

I'm curious to see how it would stack up against the 3400M I had in my Toshiba Satellite, I believe it was 1.8ghz quad with a 6520G

Things I'd like to see 

-Cinebench

-3DMark (I've got a copy if you don't) 

-Crysis 3 benchmark 

I'd build it in an HTPC case and find a small monitor possibly something you could even power both off a 12v in a car or AC out of the wall use it for f*cking around with/ keeping kids occupied after I finished playing with it. 

I was thinking of doing something along these lines with a G3320 

I would like to see how much it bottlenecks a high end gpu like anything above amd 270x and above or nvidia gtx 760 and above

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I would like to see how much it bottlenecks a high end gpu like anything above amd 270x and above or nvidia gtx 760 and above

Me too

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

am1 gaming tests w/ 260x/750

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I'm curious to see how it would stack up against the 3400M I had in my Toshiba Satellite, I believe it was 1.8ghz quad with a 6520G

Things I'd like to see 

-Cinebench

-3DMark (I've got a copy if you don't) 

-Crysis 3 benchmark 

I'd build it in an HTPC case and find a small monitor possibly something you could even power both off a 12v in a car or AC out of the wall use it for f*cking around with/ keeping kids occupied after I finished playing with it. 

I was thinking of doing something along these lines with a G3320 

I don't have 3DMark or Crysis 3, but I'm installing Cinebench 15 right now. I'll get back with the results in a bit.

Me too

am1 gaming tests w/ 260x/750

I appologize, but I don't own any mid-range or high-end gaming graphics cards. I do have a Quadro K2000 in my computer, and my brother has a Sapphire R7 240 in his rig. If you'd like to see those, please reply.

yes that would be great

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I don't have 3DMark or Crysis 3, but I'm installing Cinebench 15 right now. I'll get back with the results in a bit.

I appologize, but I don't own any mid-range or high-end gaming graphics cards. I do have a Quadro K2000 in my computer, and my brother has a Sapphire R7 240 in his rig. If you'd like to see those, please reply.

I do, and i could throw you a family share code or something and you can have access to my library for a few days... i havent used my steam account for over a week now.. sold both my GPUs

Yes, I would like to see gaming tests w/ r7 240( gpu linus hates)

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I do, and i could throw you a family share code or something and you can have access to my library for a few days... i havent used my steam account for over a week now.. sold both my GPUs

Oh, was that perhaps in preparation for the launch of the 900 series? (I am so jelly).

I'd very much appreciate it if I could borrow Crysis 3! I hope the Athlon doesn't melt though.

(looking at the LTT video about Crysis 3 Benchmarking right now).

Also, I've run Cinebench 2 times so far; ultimately planing to take the average of 10 passes. Would that be enough for Cinebench?

yes that would be great

Yes, I would like to see gaming tests w/ r7 240( gpu linus hates)

I can agree with Linus' dissatisfaction for the R 240 though. MSRP's too high for what you get. I bought it for $35 new (Craigslist), so at that price I felt that it was a solid deal.

Anyway, my plan at the moment seems to be something like this:

1. Mr. SovietOnion kindly lends me Crysis 3.

2. Crysis 3 Benchmark w/ HD 8400

3. Crysis 3 Benchmark w/ R7 240 (1GB model)

4. Crysis 3 Benchmark w/ Quadro K2000

5. Repeat steps 2~4 with Battlefield 3 or something.

Is there anything I should be looking for beyond Max/Min/Avg frame rates? Also any specific games?

Frame latency I guess and I don't know what is it called but it let's you know what time of the second where the frames rendered.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650