Does a Soundcard actually improve audio quality?

Go to solution Solved by BoltActionWaffle,

So in the end will i be disapointed with the kraken pros, i have never listened to super nice headphones so i have nothing really any nicer to compare it to, and thank you for helping me narrow it down.

Audio is extremely subjective. You honestly don't know what sounds good until you've tried it, and even then you might not care about the differences. Some people are ignorant and other simply don't put sound quality as #1 when choosing headphones. If you really want the kraken pros and feel they meet your needs, then go for it. But my personal suggestion is to get the HyperX Clouds. 

So for my birthday i want a new pair of headphones (i am currently using Turtle beach PX3s and there...not that good) and its between the Razer Kraken pros and the razer kraken 7.1s. I want the pros so i can use them on my phone and also there cheaper. So the real question is do soundcards improve audio quality (on the pros because they are analog as apposed to the 7.1s usb connection). I recently saw the video tek syndicate posted about how souncards aren't very good. I have built in Realtek hd audio and i want to know if that's gonna sound bad.   

I'm not the best at asking things on forums but hopefully this is enough for you to get my point. Thanks in advance! :)

long story short - 

no.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

It gives you better audio than onboard, but usually onboard is good enough for most users.

Only music producers (and extreme audiophiles) need soundcards. They are not worth it in your case.

I had to buy a sound card because when I plugged my modmic 4.0 into my motherboard there would be background static in the recordings. A cheap ASUS xonar $30 sound card fixed it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It gives you better audio than onboard, but usually onboard is good enough for most users.

Only music producers (and extreme audiophiles) need soundcards. They are not worth it in your case.

Most audiophiles know that sound cards are useless because you still get the noise from inside the computer, which is why they spend money on dacs and amps to get the best sound quality

Life.exe is missing

get a DAC and a decent set of headphones.

don't get Krakens.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

If your onboard is giving you problems then a soundcard can improve your quality.

get a DAC and a decent set of headphones.

don't get Krakens.

I wouldn't quite recommend a dac unless you actually do want your noise floor reduced since they do not do much more than that, but I agree 10000x not to get the krakens

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Most audiophiles know that sound cards are useless because you still get the noise from inside the computer, which is why they spend money on dacs and amps to get the best sound quality

Oh really? I didn't know. I know some electronic music producers that use sound cards. But they probably use a DAC.

Then what's the point of some expensive sound cards? Like $200+ cards.

I wouldn't quite recommend a dac unless you actually do want your noise floor reduced since they do not do much more than that, but I agree 10000x not to get the krakens

So whats wrong with the krakens, i know the bass is overpowering but i tried them on at a local best buy and played music off my iphone and personaly loved them.

So whats wrong with the krakens, i know the bass is overpowering but i tried them on at a local best buy and played music off my iphone and personaly loved them.

There are plenty of much better headphones/-sets out there. Krakens are just low quality sold at high price. A good rule is to get audio from real audio companies.

There are plenty of much better headphones/-sets out there. Krakens are just low quality sold at high price. A good rule is to get audio from real audio companies.

What $60 to $100 headset would you recommend? (Link?) 

For a headset, HyperX Cloud is hard to beat. Linus just did a video on them, too. For even better quality, headphones (such as CHC Silverado or one of the many Superlux headphones) paired with a Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip-on mic is the smart choice.

I agree. +1. 

If OP is interested, I've got a review on them as well, links in my Signature. 

Oh really? I didn't know. I know some electronic music producers that use sound cards. But they probably use a DAC.

Because they probably sell like hot cakes. 

For a headset, HyperX Cloud is hard to beat. Linus just did a video on them, too. For even better quality, headphones (such as CHC Silverado or one of the many Superlux headphones) paired with a Zalman ZM-MIC1 clip-on mic is the smart choice.

I agree. +1. 

If OP is interested, I've got a review on them as well, links in my Signature. 

Because they probably sell like hot cakes. 

So if i can find the extra $50 are the Astro A40s a good buy?

No imo. The HyperX Clouds are the best sounding up until Sennheiser's, Audio Technica's, and Beyerdynamic's higher end offering, which by then you should be getting a headphone + mic combo anyway. 

No, they are in the same "overpriced toy" category as the Krakens. After HyperX Cloud the next worthy headset would would one of the Sennheiser's; PC350/G4ME Zero and PC360/G4ME One, but that point you could get some seriously awesome headphones.

No, they are in the same "overpriced toy" category as the Krakens. After HyperX Cloud the next worthy headset would would one of the Sennheiser's; PC350/G4ME Zero and PC360/G4ME One, but that point you could get some seriously awesome headphones.

So in the end will i be disapointed with the kraken pros, i have never listened to super nice headphones so i have nothing really any nicer to compare it to, and thank you for helping me narrow it down.

Audio is extremely subjective. You honestly don't know what sounds good until you've tried it, and even then you might not care about the differences. Some people are ignorant and other simply don't put sound quality as #1 when choosing headphones. If you really want the kraken pros and feel they meet your needs, then go for it. But my personal suggestion is to get the HyperX Clouds. 

You haven't heard good headphones I guess. My friend has a pair of sony headphones that cost 40 bucks and they blow everything else out of the water that I've tried that's like 200-300 dollars.

Yep, agreed, I'd auditioned the Kraken Forge (so wanted to like and get it because it's so awesome looking), but the sound, bass heavy with muddied mids and highs (but not nearly as bad as the POS Razer Black Shark I have), good enough for gaming and watching movies. Definitely NOT recommended for music appreciation.....unless you're a basshead that is.

The HX Cloud has got me excited, thinking of getting a Xonar Phoebus Solo or another SB Zx since the system I use the headset on has onboard/integrated SB X-Fi MB2.....I tend to let my enthusiasm push me overboard sometimes. And no, I don't want external DAC's and such as my sound setup is more of an all round entertainment with a big nod to gaming. 

BTW, at OP, the peeps BAW is referring to are those who buy Beats and Razer headphones/headsets........ *jumps for cover* :ph34r:  Kidding, but if you do have the chance to try the HX Cloud, give it a shot.....pretty good all round headset, price/performance is off the charts imo. ;)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Marketing. Most professional use external solutions. Soundcards are almost exclusively aimed at gamers these days.

So in the end will i be disapointed with the kraken pros

If you're not disappointed, you just like bad sound.

If you don't have a dac, you won't have sound. You mean an external dac.

Also:

Moooooooo!

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

So, if you end up not getting a soundcard, you should have some (maybe not much) extra cash to add in to the headphone budget. 

For headset, go with the HyperX. Lots of good reviews, and never read anyone dis-satisfied with it. Or if you don't mind open backs, go with HD518. Open backs are better in 3D positioning in games. 

Get them, and don't worry about anything else. When you have them in your hands, try plugging them directly to your onboard. If it turns out your onboard gives out too small of volume, then get a separate amp. A simple tiny Fiio E6 should be good. 

So, if you end up not getting a soundcard, you should have some (maybe not much) extra cash to add in to the headphone budget. 

For headset, go with the HyperX. Lots of good reviews, and never read anyone dis-satisfied with it. Or if you don't mind open backs, go with HD518. Open backs are better in 3D positioning in games. 

Get them, and don't worry about anything else. When you have them in your hands, try plugging them directly to your onboard. If it turns out your onboard gives out too small of volume, then get a separate amp. A simple tiny Fiio E6 should be good. 

Be careful of the overheads!!!  :angry:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?