Do You Have A Low-Quality "Arris" Router?

nosirrah123

I recently moved, and when I got TWC (Time Warner Cable) internet they gave me an "Arris" brand modem/router 2-in-1. It's terrible. It overheats during any extended use no matter how light. I figured that it was just defective, until I visited a relative who has the same router and the same problem. We're both in/around LA, so I was wondering if the distribution of these stupid things is widespread.

It's also possible that ISP's renting you a terrible router is the standard, and maybe I just haven't encountered this problem before because in the past I've gotten lucky and got some functional hardware.

I'm wondering if anybody else has an Arris router, and if theirs is malfunctioning.

I didn't put this under troubleshooting because I don't think it can be fixed, as it's just a terrible product, and I didn't put it in news because I didn't think it was all that newsworthy.

Even if this isn't particularly widespread or if it's normal for an ISP to distribute non-functioning products, it's a good example. It's an example of how ISP's aren't happy just selling you an over-priced, low speed connection, they also don't intend to insure that your over-priced, low speed connection even works with the over-priced, low quality hardware that they rent you.

Yet another reason to hate ISPs.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I have one and I had to buy a new one to extend it's signal which is crap, and it didn't deliver it's full potential

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Mine came bundled with the cable/net.

It doesn't get warm, but sometimes it likes to just up and disconnect my computer for some reason.

I run wireless from it, so idk.

What model number is yours? Mine is the E132

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I don't know if mine is a low quality one its an EMBARQ 660 series

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Mine came bundled with the cable/net.

It doesn't get warm, but sometimes it likes to just up and disconnect my computer for some reason.

I run wireless from it, so idk.

What model number is yours? Mine is the E132

TG1672G over here

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I don't know if mine is a low quality one its an EMBARQ 660 series

tbh I wouldn't really trust anything from a no-name company like this

pretty sure you could just buy your own. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

pretty sure you could just buy your own. 

Yes I could, but for a lot of people renting the box is a much better short-term plan, we just blew a bunch of our money on renovating the house and buying appliances, so there isn't enough money lying around to throw at a new router/modem (which go for like 90$ minimum)

tbh I wouldn't really trust anything from a no-name company like this

Yes, a "no-name" with a $4.29 Billion market cap. 

I have an Arris cable modem (TM822G) from Cablevision/Optimum and it has been rock solid. If TWC offers you the option, just get a modem and provide your own router. I know you said you're tight on cash but I think you can get a relatively cheap router from TP-Link for under $30 (or if you're a customer, get the T-Mobile Personal Cellspot which is a pretty high-end 802.11AC router)

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011