Is it worth bitcoin mining with this

Specs:
Ati radeon hd 4870
intel c2d e4600 

So is it wort it for me to destroy my gpu and possible some other components.
What should i mine bitcoin, dog coin etc 
What can i do with the coins
How fast do components die when mining 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Your better off using this computer for folding instead of mining, you'll waste a lot of electricity and you get jack for money if you mine with these parts.

You would lose money paying for electricity

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

You are about 2-3 years late for profitable mining considering those specs.

too late in the game

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

There is no real point in mining Bitcoin with anything other than ASICs now, and Dogecoin and Litecoin barely allow you to break even for GPUs (which will only get worse with Scrypt ASICs). If you are looking to mine something then you should look to other alt coins and ones with novel ASIC resistant hashes like Quark or Cryptonite. There is not much money in mining now, expecially on a small scale, but here are the SHA-256 and Scrypt hash rates for various GPUs/CPUs:

SHA-256:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Scrypt:

https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

that's not balls to the walls, ~1.4v seems excessive for that oc anyway (or is your chip crap like my e4500?)  :P doesn't have to be stable ;)

1246567.jpg

submit to my hwbot prime database :P

get an asic card

i wouldnt recommend you buying a ascic miner because you wont made any profit from the ascic since the price of the asic is too high so you will be making lost.

If you want to get into mining i suggest you bying bitcoins :)

Specs:

Ati radeon hd 4870

intel c2d e4600 

So is it wort it for me to destroy my gpu and possible some other components.

What should i mine bitcoin, dog coin etc 

What can i do with the coins

How fast do components die when mining 

that's not balls to the walls, ~1.4v seems excessive for that oc anyway (or is your chip crap like my e4500?)  :P doesn't have to be stable ;)

1246567.jpg

submit to my hwbot prime database :P

e4600 OC like crap if i want 3.4ghz i have to pump 1.7V but nothing can cool that 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

e4600 OC like crap if i want 3.4ghz i have to pump 1.7V but nothing can cool that 

phase change / dice/ ln2 / lhe :)

but yes looking at hwbot they're not the greatest.

phase change / dice/ ln2 / lhe :)

but yes looking at hwbot they're not the greatest.

i don't know how much voltage they pumped to get 4.8ghz but it has to be 1.7 and i can't boot with 1.7V

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_2_e4600_2.4ghz/

While that set up is not good for mining, it's more than adequate to host a full Bitcoin node.. Assuming you wanted to support the network, why else would you want to mine? ;)

Running a full node requires nothing more than forwarding port 8333 and keeping the core client open in the background. The bandwidth requirements are low and go completely unnoticed for the most part. If interested, I can help you set one up or provide more info.

The question of what can you do with the Bitcoins is a very open ended question. Similar to asking "what can I do with money?" Bitcoin is designed, and works like cash on the internet. You can spend it, save it, donate some, gamble it away, etc. It allows for a much safer and more secure method to make purchases online (and even in person). A complete payment network that doesn't reveal any sensitive financial data when sending value, meaning there is no identity or data theft possible. It's a push system not a pull like credit/debit cards, you cannot be hit with hidden or fraudulent charges.

Name something you would like to buy, there's likely a way to purchase it using Bitcoin.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

While that set up is not good for mining, it's more than adequate to host a full Bitcoin node.. Assuming you wanted to support the network, why else would you want to mine? ;)

Running a full node requires nothing more than forwarding port 8333 and keeping the core client open in the background. The bandwidth requirements are low and go completely unnoticed for the most part. If interested, I can help you set one up or provide more info.

The question of what can you do with the Bitcoins is a very open ended question. Similar to asking "what can I do with money?" Bitcoin is designed, and works like cash on the internet. You can spend it, save it, donate some, gamble it away, etc. It allows for a much safer and more secure method to make purchases online (and even in person). A complete payment network that doesn't reveal any sensitive financial data when sending value, meaning there is no identity or data theft possible. It's a push system not a pull like credit/debit cards, you cannot be hit with hidden or fraudulent charges.

Name something you would like to buy, there's likely a way to purchase it using Bitcoin.

well lets say i go out and buy my self a 295x2 will bitcoin pay off then 

Not at all. The cost of electricity is far greater than the amount of bitcoins you'll be mining. The only way for bitcoin mining to be slightly profitable is if you have a really good ASIC. An ASIC is a chip designed for one specific purpose, and one for bitcoin mining can do only that. It's useless for everything else. It's more efficient though because all the programmability that comes with GPUs doesn't need to be implemented, hence these use much less power. Less power and more bitcoins equals more money for you. But don't bother with them. The companies that make the really good ASICs tend to keep them and use them themselves.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Nope, 2 290x would be better. Actually 290 generally has better price to hash ratio but that's besides the point. For mining, you generally need highly specialized ASICs (application specific integrated circuit) which are designed to mine and nothing else. They are thousands of times more efficient than any GPU configuration. That's for Bitcoin at least, there are other coins with other algorithms such as Litecoin, however there are no ASICs for those as well. 

Mining in and of itself is not something to be done for profit. It actually scales perfectly with mining efficiencies to keep any ROI and profits at a bare minimum. The most you can hope for in most cases is to break even with cost of electricity and hardware. Profits in Bitcoin are not seen from mining, rather from appreciation in value, at which point it's almost been a better to purchase coins directly instead of hardware to mine them.

There are some alt coins which are designed to be ASIC resistant, but they can be extremely volatile both in price and mining difficulty. To make it anywhere with mining those on a GPU you need to constantly be watching and hitting coin launches along with making quick decisions whether to continue mining one coin or switch to another based on profitability.

here's a couple links to see what you might be getting into for watching some of the coins.

http://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

https://www.cryptsy.com/

While it is possible to see a return on your mining investment, it's pretty rare at this point. It's more about speculation in holding the coins you mine versus selling them immediately to pay off electricity.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Nope, 2 290x would be better. Actually 290 generally has better price to hash ratio but that's besides the point. For mining, you generally need highly specialized ASICs (application specific integrated circuit) which are designed to mine and nothing else. They are thousands of times more efficient than any GPU configuration. That's for Bitcoin at least, there are other coins with other algorithms such as Litecoin, however there are no ASICs for those as well. 

Mining in and of itself is not something to be done for profit. It actually scales perfectly with mining efficiencies to keep any ROI and profits at a bare minimum. The most you can hope for in most cases is to break even with cost of electricity and hardware. Profits in Bitcoin are not seen from mining, rather from appreciation in value, at which point it's almost been a better to purchase coins directly instead of hardware to mine them.

There are some alt coins which are designed to be ASIC resistant, but they can be extremely volatile both in price and mining difficulty. To make it anywhere with mining those on a GPU you need to constantly be watching and hitting coin launches along with making quick decisions whether to continue mining one coin or switch to another based on profitability.

here's a couple links to see what you might be getting into for watching some of the coins.

http://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

https://www.cryptsy.com/

While it is possible to see a return on your mining investment, it's pretty rare at this point. It's more about speculation in holding the coins you mine versus selling them immediately to pay off electricity.

OK than i was just asking because these guys seem to be making money http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin guess not 

OK than i was just asking because these guys seem to be making money http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin guess not 

Nope they really aren't. Their coin recently had a decent pump (I'd guess it will be followed by an even greater correction)

A 290x can mine around 1M/hash. Mining dogecoin currently would earn about $0.05 per day. However at an estimated 300watt usage and a cost of $0.10 per K/watt has a running cost of $0.72 per day. A net loss of 67 cents per day. Other coins have higher daily earnings, but more often than not you will find electric costs push you into a negative.

Not to generalize, but quite a few of the dogecoin miners are minors (there's a pun there somewhere) who live at home and are subsidizing electrical costs due to their parents unknowingly paying for it.

Unless you want to ignore the high running cost, seeing a positive return is difficult for gpu mining. It's generally why I recommend to purchase coins directly versus buying hardware to mine; It's one thing if you already had the hardware but don't buy GPU's with intention of mining.

You might be able to somewhat "write off" the electric usage by using it as a loud space heater during winter and turning down/off other in home heating.