PS3 overheating?

Shaqo_Wyn
Go to solution Solved by Bogica,

Hey mate. It's completely normal for it to overheat after so many years. Open up the case and clean it out, check if the fan is still running and replace the thermal paste, the ones you said you are going to use are much better than the stock ones so the system will run much cooler. Hope this helps! :)

Hey guys, I want to ask your opinions on this. Lately my PS3 has been shutting off when playing certain games. It runs F1 2013 and BF3 fine 95% of the time while with Bioshock 2 (never finished the story, having a go again) and GTA V it almost always turns off at least once or twice.

I've had this PS3 for a while. It's the last version of the FAT released and I already extended it's life once by swapping out the HDD in 2012. Now I think it's dust inside and worn out thermal paste that's causing overheating issues. Short from buying a heat gun and doing the whole motherboard reflowing thing.. (I'm not getting YLoD, it's just shuts off).

I was thinking off just opening it up, removing what I expect to be a shitload of dust and putting some MX-4 or NT-H1 on the CPU and GPU. 

Do you think this will solve my problems? Is there a reason to use MX-4 instead of NT-H1 or the other way around? Know a good guide to opening and cleaning the PS3?

Please spare me the console hate, at least I'm posting this in the right sub-topic. :)

Thanks for any input you can provide! ;)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hey mate. It's completely normal for it to overheat after so many years. Open up the case and clean it out, check if the fan is still running and replace the thermal paste, the ones you said you are going to use are much better than the stock ones so the system will run much cooler. Hope this helps! :)

I would just crack it open and dust/repaste and you should be good to go. If it's not giving you strange failures then there's no need to try and reflow the soldering.

Mine overheats. I use 

Lasko%204000%20Air%20Stik%20Ultra-Slim%2

But the 1st Gen PS3 is the best. So it's worth it. 

because it can play ps2 games

I love my George Foreman grill but it is a bit loud, maybe I should dust it out too.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

because it can play ps2 games

And it's sexy. (The black plastic is actually smoked, so you can see through it. So are the first Controllers)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

too bad i don't have one  :(

I only have a ps2 and ps1

Even though I hate Consoles. I use my PS3 a lot (Mostly for Journey)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Even though I hate Consoles. I use my PS3 a lot (Mostly for Journey)

only use my ps2 for gt4 and gta vcs and lcs

And it's sexy. (The black plastic is actually smoked, so you can see through it. So are the first Controllers)

Damn, that does sound sexy. Unfortunately, the release prices of the PS3 were way to high for my blood back then.

I would just crack it open and dust/repaste and you should be good to go. If it's not giving you strange failures then there's no need to try and reflow the soldering.

Thanks you guys! I'm gonna order some MX-4 and give the PS3 a good internal cleaning. I don't have a screw driver right now, a good magnetic Phillips head screwdriver should do the trick right? Also one more question if anyone knows, I saw you have to remove the HDD first. Do I have to back it up first? Can't remember if the PS3 prompts you to format the drive when you re-insert it. 

my ps3 got the YLOD :(

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that man. Did you manage to fix it?

Thanks you guys! I'm gonna order some MX-4 and give the PS3 a good internal cleaning. I don't have a screw driver right now, a good magnetic Phillips head screwdriver should do the trick right? Also one more question if anyone knows, I saw you have to remove the HDD first. Do I have to back it up first? Can't remember if the PS3 prompts you to format the drive when you re-insert it. 

I think a Phillips head is all you need, you can find out from a teardown guide though. You shouldn't need to format it either since the file system for your specific PS3 is saved on to the drive. I've taken mine out a couple of times and never needed to redo the thing.

I think a Phillips head is all you need, you can find out from a teardown guide though. You shouldn't need to format it either since the file system for your specific PS3 is saved on to the drive. I've taken mine out a couple of times and never needed to redo the thing.

Alrighty then, thanks! :)