WTB Laptop/Tablet/Ultrabook/2-in-1 for SolidWorks 2014-2015 Use

[Reposted from Software Thread, didn't see this thread 'till now]

So I just recently started college
[part time at local CC majoring in Computer Design Tech. while working Full-Time to pay for said CC] 

My CAD class uses SolidWorks 2014-2015 software. 
I will soon be in the market for a laptop/tablet/2-in-1/ultrabook that I will be able to do SolidWorks and general internet stuff [YT, FB, etc] on
I'm not planning on buying anything immediately [need to save $$$ first] 
Expecting between $1000 and $2000
laptop/tablet/2-in-1/ultrabook

Halp please <3

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152601&cm_re=msi_dragon-_-34-152-601-_-Product

Highly considering the MSI GT70 Dominator Dragon "kit" from NewEgg. The only other one I looked at was the G750JZ [no relation to the rapper] by Asus but it was going to be wwwaaayyy out of my comfortable price margin for this stage in my CAD "career"

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Scrap that 8.6 pound beast. What you want is a Msi GS60 not the gt70. Same specs for half the weight and it's so much thinner. It's about $1800.

Msi also just released the WS60, workstation version of the GS60 which is certified for solid works and autocad since it has a Quadro K2100M instead of an 870m gaming card. All the other hardware is identical, so I imagine the price being similar.

I would say, wait for the next tablets coming out. Intel core M processors are coming bringing good specs and the thinnest, lightest two in ones and tablets that are plenty powerful to do normal work with windows 8.1 and soon 9(or what ever it will be called)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8475/intels-core-m-strategy-cpu-specifications-for-9mm-fanless-tablets

If you think you will need more processing power and want something new you may have to wait a bit longer for the i3, i5, i7 broadwell chips. Core M is the first broadwell chips coming. They seem plenty powerful and they are put in very thin and light machines. Will have to see benchmarks when they come out though but for the future if you are looking for small and thin maybe a 2in1 then id suggest these. Check the link. It has products listed that will be coming.

Scrap that 8.6 pound beast. What you want is a Msi GS60 not the gt70. Same specs for half the weight and it's so much thinner. It's about $1800.Msi also just released the WS60, workstation version of the GS60 which is certified for solid works and autocad since it has a Quadro K2100M instead of an 870m gaming card. All the other hardware is identical, so I imagine the price being similar.

The GT70 is about 1500 while the WS60 is about 2500. Way more than I want to spend on a laptop right now because I'm also planning on upgrading my WS desktop at home, buying a new phone, a tablet for my other classes Adu school

Project Hephaestus

I would say, wait for the next tablets coming out. Intel core M processors are coming bringing good specs and the thinnest, lightest two in ones and tablets that are plenty powerful to do normal work with windows 8.1 and soon 9(or what ever it will be called)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8475/intels-core-m-strategy-cpu-specifications-for-9mm-fanless-tablets

If you think you will need more processing power and want something new you may have to wait a bit longer for the i3, i5, i7 broadwell chips. Core M is the first broadwell chips coming. They seem plenty powerful and they are put in very thin and light machines. Will have to see benchmarks when they come out though but for the future if you are looking for small and thin maybe a 2in1 then id suggest these. Check the link. It has products listed that will be coming.

I dont care so much about processing power as everything that runs a core cpu seems to have some kind of core I-7 or core I-5. Im mostly worried about GPU

Project Hephaestus

The GT70 is about 1500 while the WS60 is about 2500. Way more than I want to spend on a laptop right now because I'm also planning on upgrading my WS desktop at home, buying a new phone, a tablet for my other classes Adu school

You're probably looking at a higher end model of the WS60 that comes with more ssd space and a 3k screen. They should have lower end models come out soon (in the next month) for under 2k. At least get the gs60 over the gt70. Same hardware, same performance, much more portable package for just a few hundred dollars more.

Edit: I stand corrected, seems the model I'm talking about will retail for 2200 on launch... Interesting. Gs60 ghost pro non-3k is my recommendation then.

You're probably looking at a higher end model of the WS60 that comes with more ssd space and a 3k screen. They should have lower end models come out soon (in the next month) for under 2k. At least get the gs60 over the gt70. Same hardware, same performance, much more portable package for just a few hundred dollars more.Edit: I stand corrected, seems the model I'm talking about will retail for 2200 on launch... Interesting. Gs60 ghost pro non-3k is my recommendation then.

Do you know of anything comparable in power from another manufacturer? And tbh ive always had 4+ pound monster laptops lol. Weight doesnt really bother me and id rather have the couple hundred dollars in my pocket :)

Thank you for your suggestions btw

Project Hephaestus

Asus or gigabyte have similar models. The Asus gaming laptops may be a good fit if you don't care about portability.

Ok awesome. Yeah I actually prefer my tech to have a little heft. I got fat hands and im rough on stuff and I always get paranoid ill snap/break it if its to small or light. One of the reasons ive avoided the tablet market for awhile.

Im also pretty patient. The laptop is mostly just to do it on the go on my own time, so if a render takes an hour to do versus 20 minutes on a card thats built for CAD, but costs me half as much, im more inclined to buy the cheaper slower option. Once I start doing it professionally and have 3 grand to blow on a workstation grade laptop then ill buy some super efficient monster haha.

But im working full time right now to put myself through college debt free so as much money as I can save and get as much power as possible is key

Project Hephaestus

Asus or gigabyte have similar models. The Asus gaming laptops may be a good fit if you don't care about portability.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IKF2H12/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

My fundamental problem with gaming computers is their just atrocious battery life :.(

This gets 3.5 hours and thats considered good

Project Hephaestus

Oh and it may be worth noting the desktops we use in my CAD run a midrange Core I-7 with a Radeon HD 7450 GFX card. I check Game-debate.com's hardware comparison and even the GTX 780M is noticably superior to that card. So thats my basis for assuming a gaming laptop will be good for SolidWorks

Project Hephaestus

Oh and it may be worth noting the desktops we use in my CAD run a midrange Core I-7 with a Radeon HD 7450 GFX card. I check Game-debate.com's hardware comparison and even the GTX 780M is noticably superior to that card. So thats my basis for assuming a gaming laptop will be good for SolidWorks

So I guess what you're looking for then is the cheapest i7 laptop with at least a Gtx 780m/870m (they are equivalent in performance I believe) and a big battery (probably 70Wh or more, 54wh is about 4.5 hours battery life). I don't know what fits the bill in that case, maybe a business class or workstation Lenovo with a larger aftermarket battery?

I dont care so much about processing power as everything that runs a core cpu seems to have some kind of core I-7 or core I-5. Im mostly worried about GPU

The new Intel for m has the HD 5300 which is 7x more power then a 4year old laptop Intel says and is much light and processor 2x faster. In fact it performs better then the surface pro 3. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8515/quick-look-at-core-m-5y70-and-llama-mountain

So they will be lighter, more powerful and faster.

Asus UX301LA or Surface Pro 3?

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B