Do you believe in internet addiction? (Poll - private)

Oh cmon, I call bullshit. Do you believe in car addiction? The Internet is a tool that we use, just like we use a car and many other things. The fact that the Internet has so many functions and possibilities is why we spend so much time on it.

Let's be realistic for a moment, all of this can be done online:

-Read the latest news (read the paper)

-watch videos

-play games

-work

-watch tv online

-education

and so much more.

Before we would sit and read the news on paper, watch TV instead of streaming it, play our gameboy/sega/sony/xbox and so much more.

Now we have all of that united online, so instead of spending time individually on those tasks we have them on a single device  that is connected to the internet and provides that content to us so we spend so much time online.

Thank you for commenting. Now we can get some discussion going.

Do you see a difference between using something a lot and being addicted to it. If I was a taxi driver I wouldn't say I am addicted to driving. But if I get off from work, go home and get anxious because I am not in my car, then yes I would be addicted to driving.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Wrong. It's an anxiety thing where you have intrusive thoughts that cause you to obsessively perform some kind of action. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder Please inform yourself before you spread more misinformation

Thanks doctor Phil, let me re-explain my point, I'm merely pointing out that one can obsess over nearly anything the same way one can  be addicted to anything. I'm not equating the two.

See this is the problem.One say internet will replace face to face communication totally and the problem is that when you want to go face to face you lose yourself or insecurity will kick in and you will behave like a monkey.Had this problem and for more that 4 years i am grateful for my gf that keep me away from this addiction and because of her i started knowing what real fun it and how to behave myself in public and clubs

Nah, my insecurity has always been this way. I've been bullied quite badly for the first 16 years of my life and to be honest I've kind of had it with real people, most of the time. I have a small group of real friends but not many. One of the problems too is that I'm an intern in a hospital now, and all my friends now work as interns in other hospitals. It's a time-consuming job, working 12 hours a day. Emotionally taxing too because it's stressful, human lives are on the line and our future depends very much on how well we perform during the internship. So it's not all that strange that from time to time, I like to be alone for a bit.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Cellphones should be just a tool and yet they make us spend so much time using them.Yes the internet is useful but slowly iis going to became an addition that will take over most of people.

Sorry, but since I'm not a teenage girl that takes 10k selfies per day I do use my phone as a tool and I see it as just that. I spend most of the time communicating (calls and texting) and the usual access to some information when I need it. I'm not the type to sit at a cafe with friends and stare at my phone, in fact, it's something we punish each other for, such as making the person put the phone face down on the table and not touch it unless it's a phone call. :)

Maybe private addiction institutions but not public funded ones the issue doesn't affect enough people nor harms enough to justify the expense to the tax payer.

I think it's up to the individual. if someone's family or friends think it's becoming an issue, then they should try to help by addressing the issue in a non-confrontational way.

I don't mean individual government intervention, I am talking more about public awareness and social acceptability so that people don't get hooked in the first place.

(Social acceptability in that it is an actual problem and not "just in your head")

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

it's Obsessive COMPULSIVE Disorder. it has to do with repetitive, uncontrollable thoughts, compulsions, and behaviors

don't throw around medical terms you don't know anything about.

it's a lot more than just an addictive personality.

You seem to have missed the subsequent post explaining what I meant in your rage, so I'll clarify again. What I meant was: One can be obsessive compulsive on anything, just the same way as one can be addicted to anything. I'm not saying psychologically they're the same thing, merely there is an infinite range of subjects that be obsessed/addicted too.

Sorry, but since I'm not a teenage girl that takes 10k selfies per day I do use my phone as a tool and I see it as just that. I spend most of the time communicating (calls and texting) and the usual access to some information when I need it. I'm not the type to sit at a cafe with friends and stare at my phone, in fact, it's something we punish each other for, such as making the person put the phone face down on the table and not touch it unless it's a phone call. :)

I completely agree but just because you are not addicted, do you believe it is impossible for others to become addicted. I myself would be like you but I certainly see more and more people constantly online (if you are on you're phone that long you are probably online).

Thank you for commenting. Now we can get some discussion going.

Do you see a difference between using something a lot and being addicted to it. If I was a taxi driver I wouldn't say I am addicted to driving. But if I get off from work, go home and get anxious because I am not in my car, then yes I would be addicted to driving.

My point exactly! Here is a cookie, you are my favourite pokemon now! :D People need to learn the difference between addiction and using something a lot. As you said, anxiety caused by the lack of it means you might be addicted. Don't you all go on vacation and don't go online for several days? I shut down all communication (even my phone) when I was on vacation for 10 days, felt so awesome and relaxing, didn't miss things one bit. :)

Edit: Don't get offended, I love cookies and usually don't share them so that makes you special. Also I love Pokemon! :D

When the internet goes down I'm getting nervous and mad. Think I'm addicted already. :(

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

You seem to have missed the subsequent post explaining what I meant in your rage, so I'll clarify again. What I meant was: One can be obsessive compulsive on anything, just the same way as one can be addicted to anything. I'm not saying psychologically they're the same thing, merely there is an infinite range of subjects that be obsessed/addicted too.

you compared OCD and addiction, which are two very different things.

one can't just become obsessive-compulsive over something, it's a mental illness.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

When the internet goes down I'm getting nervous and mad. Think I'm addicted already. :(

Don't worry. It's the same situation. If I'm gaming and my net lags/goes down I will be mad, it's normal. If you drive your car and your tire falls off/the car stops you will be mad and nervous! :)

you compared OCD and addiction, which are two very different things.

one can't just become obsessive-compulsive over something, it's a mental illness.

I didn't say it just happens, I said that you could be obsessive compulsive about an endless range of possibilities, such as light switch position, arrangement of clothes, position of items on desk etc etc. All I'm saying is, you can be obsessive over any topic, and you can be addicted to doing, consuming or thinking anything. 

And addiction is very close to if not already a recognised mental illness. 

I for one do spend quite a bit of time online. I really enjoy the community we have here, the various forms of entertainment from hobbiest/professional Youtbers and I basically watch all my TV shows online now. I rarely turn the TV on anymore. I don't think I am addicted to the internet. I use it a lot but when I am offline, I am actually offline. I don't use my phone to go on LTT or social media. The only thing I use mobile data on is music, email, the odd google search and GPS navigation.

Yeah I believe internet could be an addiction, heck even phone addictions exist. Take some kids phone away and enjoy the rampage they'll go on. Same goes with internet.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I for one do spend quite a bit of time online. I really enjoy the community we have hear, the various forms of entertainment from hobbiest/professional Youtbers and I basically watch all my TV shows online now. I rarely turn the TV on anymore. I don't think I am addicted to the internet. I use it a lot but when I am offline, I am actually offline. I don't use my phone to go on LTT or social media. The only thing I use mobile data on is music, email, the odd google search and GPS navigation.

Exactly, I barely turn on the TV these days, except when I hook up my PC and want to watch something on a bigger screen. But as you said, most TV shows are online with barely any or no ADS at all, movies too. Most educational stuff is available written down or even in a form of a video which is much more enjoyable and practical for learning. :)

I don't mean individual government intervention, I am talking more about public awareness and social acceptability so that people don't get hooked in the first place.

(Social acceptability in that it is an actual problem and not "just in your head")

Yeah but that needs to be applied to alot more things first ie, drugs ect.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Don't worry. It's the same situation. If I'm gaming and my net lags/goes down I will be mad, it's normal. If you drive your car and your tire falls off/the car stops you will be mad and nervous! :)

Completely agree. I am not saying anyone who gets pissed off when the internet goes down is addicted either. The key point I am trying to make though is control. I believe addiction becomes very real when we loose our control of how much time we spend online. When you loose time, then you are addicted.

When you said "I  call bullshit", were you referring to spending a lot of time or actual addiction? Can I ask if you voted NO to question 1? (is net addiction real?)

Yeah but that needs to be applied to alot more things first ie, drugs ect.

An addiction is an addiction. We should treat addiction as the illness, not the substance that causes us to loose control (be it drugs or internet addiction). I know the two are not the same but the start and end affects are very similar.

Yeah I believe internet could be an addiction, heck even phone addictions exist. Take some kids phone away and enjoy the rampage they'll go on. Same goes with internet.

Are they addicted to the phone or the internet? I would think most phone addicts are internet addicts.

An addiction is an addiction. We should treat addiction as the illness, not the substance that causes us to loose control (be it drugs or internet addiction). I know the two are not the same but the start and end affects are very similar.

Yeah, but not necessarily as a disease as mush as a debilitating habit that needs corrected, and needs to be accepted as something that happens

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I think the only way to prove whether or not it is a true addiction is an extensive study into whether or not there is a bio-chemical change when someone is no longer on the internet, causing them to "crave" the internet to satisfy their addiction. But I do not think that just spending extensive amounts of time on the internet constitutes addiction.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

I would love to hear from some people who voted "NO" to "Do you believe internet addiction can be a real addiction?"

Do you think people are just acting up because they are not getting their way or what? Also, do you not see a difference between using something a lot and being addicted to it.

Yeah, but not necessarily as a disease as mush as a debilitating habit that needs corrected, and needs to be accepted as something that happens

Either way, would you be in favour of seeing more posts and simply more awareness that people can get addicted to being online. I think this has hit home with some of our own LTT members. I hate to see good active people leave because they feel that they can't handle being here anymore.

Either way, would you be in favour of seeing more posts and simply more awareness that people can get addicted to being online. I think this has hit home with some of our own LTT members. I hate to see good active people leave because they feel that they can't handle being here anymore.

Yeah

Completely agree. I am not saying anyone who gets pissed off when the internet goes down is addicted either. The key point I am trying to make though is control. I believe addiction becomes very real when we loose our control of how much time we spend online. When you loose time, then you are addicted.

When you said "I  call bullshit", were you referring to spending a lot of time or actual addiction? Can I ask if you voted NO to question 1? (is net addiction real?)

I said "I call bullshit" because of the people claiming that they are addicted (and we know tons of them) when in reality they are just spending a lot of time and consider it an addiction because of that fact. So I made the point below how the internet is multi purpose and that's why we spend a lot of time on it, not because we are necessarily addicted to it, but more because we find it practical. Do I believe it is a real addiction? YES. Do I believe we and the media are blowing things out of proportion? HELL YES! :)