Do you believe in internet addiction? (Poll - private)

This discussion has come up before but there are no active threads to talk about it so I decided to start this one.

Some of us may believe it is very real, some of us may not but I believe this is an important topic either way. 

We have recently lost some old school members who were very active, some who have said they need to leave because they are simply loosing too much time to the forum (loosing track of time). This I believe is the evidence for internet addiction. There is a major difference between working long hours on the internet and being dependent to the internet (but this applies to all addictive habits/activities). The key difference is control. When you start to lose control over how much time you sink into it something, then it becomes an addiction. (This old thread gives some insight into many people thoughts on this but I was surprised by the amount of people who didn't seem to see the difference).

This topic (although they focused on social networks sites) was on local Irish news the other day and I was glad to see this getting some attention. While there are no groundbreaking facts in here, the real breakthrough is in that this is getting more public awareness.

The interesting points were:

According to the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP), increasing numbers of people are losing control of the amount of time that they spend online.

Being connected to friends and business associates has clear benefits, but many people, especially young people, find the desire to use Facebook or Twitter (or linustechtips) so strong that it’s affecting their personal relationships, their studies and often their jobs,” said Shane Kelly, professional services manager with the IACP.

“Many people find it impossible to put down their mobile even when having a meal with friends, attending a meeting or while out on a first date.”

The IACP warned that due to the easy access of the internet via mobile devices that social media and internet addiction can be very difficult to control, especially as it seems like a far less harmful pursuit than using drugs or nicotine.

However, the association added that internet addiction is time-consuming and can lead to empty lives as meaningful interactions are replaced by superficial interactions.

Mr Kelly added: “Studies have shown that people with high usage of social media sites may have lower levels of self-esteem and have a higher incidence of depression.”

source

So what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

i believe it is possible to be addicted to anything, if you use something alot and suffer from withdrawal symptoms then you by definition are addicted.

Ever since I got a girlfriend I have spent 100% of my time on the internet talking to her

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Anything that can be done regulary and gives some kind of reward can become addictive.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Only use the Internet when not doing something, so a lot of the time :P

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Anything can become an addiction and too much of it will make you suffer

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

people with addictive personalities can be addicted to anything. it's not just down to having a lack of self-control.

I was playing Minecraft for 10-12 hours per day for about 2 years. I would get anxious when not playing the game, Occasionally getting so paranoid about losing my stuff in the game that I would feel stomach sick.

addiction is weird.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Ever since I got a girlfriend I have spent 100% of my time on the internet talking to her

same

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Internet addiction is real form my observations (and some experience)...

I'm only online most of the time due to schoolwork and the forums is a good way to catch a break...

When it comes to IRL relationships, I tend to keep my online and offline life completely separate...

I feel addicted. I can't stop going to the LTT forum even while studying. D:

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Now 99,99% since you said something to us.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

You can get addicted to anything really, i.e. OCD

Urm, do you have any Idea what OCD is?

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I have very low self esteem and don't use social media a lot... unless LTT forums count of course.

That being said an internet addiction can only be an addiction if you have the time to let it become an addiction. And I don't see how talking to someone over the internet is more superficial than normal conversation. I for one am more comfortable telling stuff to close friends when I have the time to think about how I'm going to say stuff and when they're not in the same room. It takes barriers away, I find.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You can get addicted to anything really, i.e. OCD

i believe it is possible to be addicted to anything, if you use something alot and suffer from withdrawal symptoms then you by definition are addicted.

Anything that can be done regulary and gives some kind of reward can become addictive.

Only use the Internet when not doing something, so a lot of the time :P

Anything can become an addiction and too much of it will make you suffer

people with addictive personalities can be addicted to anything. it's not just down to having a lack of self-control.

I was playing Minecraft for 10-12 hours per day for about 2 years. I would get anxious when not playing the game, Occasionally getting so paranoid about losing my stuff in the game that I would feel stomach sick.

addiction is weird.

Do you think it is an issue that should be addressed? (probably should have asked this too. whoops)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Now 99,99% since you said something to us.

She was typing as I wrote that, and this too

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Oh cmon, I call bullshit. Do you believe in car addiction? The Internet is a tool that we use, just like we use a car and many other things. The fact that the Internet has so many functions and possibilities is why we spend so much time on it.
Let's be realistic for a moment, all of this can be done online:
-Read the latest news (read the paper)

-watch videos

-play games

-work

-watch tv online

-education

and so much more.
Before we would sit and read the news on paper, watch TV instead of streaming it, play our gameboy/sega/sony/xbox and so much more.
Now we have all of that united online, so instead of spending time individually on those tasks we have them on a single device  that is connected to the internet and provides that content to us so we spend so much time online.

Do you think it is an issue that should be addressed?

Maybe private addiction institutions but not public funded ones the issue doesn't affect enough people nor harms enough to justify the expense to the tax payer.

Urm, do you have any Idea what OCD is?

It means you obsess over things, which sort of translates it's a type of addiction. I.e. addicted to washing your hands. I'm trying to point out that you can obsess over anything, you can be addicted to anything, they're similar.

I have very low self esteem and don't use social media a lot... unless LTT forums count of course.

That being said an internet addiction can only be an addiction if you have the time to let it become an addiction. And I don't see how talking to someone over the internet is more superficial than normal conversation. I for one am more comfortable telling stuff to close friends when I have the time to think about how I'm going to say stuff and when they're not in the same room. It takes barriers away, I find.

See this is the problem.One say internet will replace face to face communication totally and the problem is that when you want to go face to face you lose yourself or insecurity will kick in and you will behave like a monkey.Had this problem and for more that 4 years i am grateful for my gf that keep me away from this addiction and because of her i started knowing what real fun it and how to behave myself in public and clubs

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Do you think it is an issue that should be addressed? (probably should have asked this too. whoops)

I think it's up to the individual. if someone's family or friends think it's becoming an issue, then they should try to help by addressing the issue in a non-confrontational way.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

It means you obsess over things, it's a type of addiction. I.e. addicted to washing your hands.

Wrong. It's an anxiety thing where you have intrusive thoughts that cause you to obsessively perform some kind of action. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder Please inform yourself before you spread more misinformation

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Most of you are talking about social anxiety which has nothing to do with the internet. I mean it is caused by spending so much time isolated from outsiders, low self esteem and poor social skills, but it can be caused by many factors, not a single one (the internet). Gaming addiction is something else entirely though, which can be the cause of this. :)

Oh cmon, I call bullshit. Do you believe in car addiction? The Internet is a tool that we use, just like we use a car and many other things. The fact that the Internet has so many functions and possibilities is why we spend so much time on it.

Let's be realistic for a moment, all of this can be done online:

-Read the latest news (read the paper)

-watch videos

-play games

-work

-watch tv online

-education

and so much more.

Before we would sit and read the news on paper, watch TV instead of streaming it, play our gameboy/sega/sony/xbox and so much more.

Now we have all of that united online, so instead of spending time individually on those tasks we have them on a single device  that is connected to the internet and provides that content to us so we spend so much time online.

Cellphones should be just a tool and yet they make us spend so much time using them.Yes the internet is useful but slowly iis going to became an addition that will take over most of people.

It means you obsess over things, which sort of translates it's a type of addiction. I.e. addicted to washing your hands. I'm trying to point out that you can obsess over anything, you can be addicted to anything, they're similar.

it's Obsessive COMPULSIVE Disorder. it has to do with repetitive, uncontrollable thoughts, compulsions, and behaviors

don't throw around medical terms you don't know anything about.

it's a lot more than just an addictive personality.