Which Type of Air Compressor to buy?

stealthy84

Hey guys,

I plan to clean my PC soon and would like to buy a portable air compressor. Which type and brand of air compressor would you guys recommend? Also, I saw in a linus tech tip video that he was using one to clean his PC, do you guys know which model of air compressor that is? Cheers 

any air compressor will do, i use a 3 gal craftsman that i got for cheap

but i would recommend using a air /water separator

The cheapest from the hardware store will do. Just make sure you drain the tank after every use to prevent moisture buildup in the tank.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Guys cans are the worst, they're not re-usable, they drain very quickly, they're bad for the environment and they have no pressure at all.

Any air compressor will do, anything worth $80 and up is probably good.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

i use this thing in place of compressed gas https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster

I have this duster and I have to say, it is really not great. The smallest terminating attachment is still maybe 10 times the area of a compressed air can's straw dealy. Because of this it just simply lack the pressure and "oomph" that a can or air has. It's also impossibly loud and get really hot quickly.

I just use a damn can of canned air. Works fine unless the dust loves to stick.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hey guys thanks for all the advise. I end up buying this little beauty. What do you guys think? 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130786914074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That would not be ideal. There is no tank and that tiny little motor will hardly blow any air. That is for filling tires, not for powering air tools.

You need a tank to go along with the compressor. If there is anyway to cancel the order I would highly recommend doing so. It is not the motor/compressor that is useful for cleaning a PC, it is the storage of air that can be quickly released from a tank.

but i would recommend using a air /water separator

I second this, condensation will always be present with an air compressor. I personally don't have a water separator, but I just make sure not to fire up the PC immediately after cleaning in case there is any residual moisture that could cause a problem.

Hey guys thanks for all the advise. I end up buying this little beauty. What do you guys think? 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130786914074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Its just unnecessary get a can of duster gas thats all you'll need. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

This plus this will be just great.

this would be terrible as it doesn't have a pressure tank it just blows at the rate of the compressor.

Did someone ask for Bellows?

bellows.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I use a Revolution Air Miny.

mecafer-compresseur-portatif-revolution-

No tank, so it blows at the rate of the compressor, which needs to run all the time you're using it of course.  Makes one hell of a racket, but then again that is to be expected.

It's more than capable of getting the last bit of dust out of your PC without ever having to worry about condensation.

It also fits inside my backpack (just), which means I carry it around often to clean out friends' PCs. 

the answer to all questions where theres a product that does one universal thing: just get whatever the hell works :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Hey guys I've returned the item. The only reason I went with it was cause I seemed to get the idea from people that any air compressor will do. Anyway no dramas lesson learned :)

I'll probably set my sights on the one crazy dog recommended. http://www.amazon.co...=air compressor

Thanks mate 

That one looks perfect. What I like most about it is it has an adjustable pressure regulator so you can "tune" the power of your air blaster. I find 4-6 atmospheres of pressure does a great job of cleaning without being overly powerful, but you will find out what works best for you!

It looks like it comes with a short hose and a few extra 1/4" npt fittings along with an air sprayer!

From what I can see in the picture, it likely uses an oil free compressor which reduces the amount of necessary upkeep like oil changes.

Looks good, I hope it works out well for you!

Go with an airbrush compressor...they have consistent airflow with minimal moisture buildup in the lines and tank, enough airflow to get stubborn dust out without causing damage at max pressure, and its multi purpose at that point if you wanted to get into a slight bit of modding and paint a bit...will come out alot better with an air brush than a can of paint thats for sure!