macbook air first thoughts and overview.

Swndlr

-snip

I disagree, my brother has a 11inch mac air and i have a dell xps 13

ironic here are the two together

Dell-XPS-13-Ultrabook-vs.-MacBook-Air-an

Both trackpads are great, both laptops overall are just great. I dont think i could say one is better then the other. Honestly i only prefer the dell because its black. Since they went private the quality of dells laptops have skyrocketed

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Dell-XPS-13-Ultrabook-vs.-MacBook-Air-an

Both trackpads are great, both laptops overall are just great. I dont think i could say one is better then the other. Honestly i only prefer the dell because its black. Since they went private the quality of dells laptops have skyrocketed

That is not a 11" MBA.

That is not a 11" MBA.

yeah i know but its close enough

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

yeah i know but its close enough

Haha ok

I agree, I love my Mac, and it's from 2006 :P

The trackpads on MacBook are absolutely impeccable. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING even comes close- even if it did, Windows has terrible support for them- weird scrolling, unnatural gestures, and every manufacturer configures it differently. The momentum-based scrolling and just solidity of them is untouchable. Sadly, I only get to use a new trackpad when my brother comes over with his new 13" MBA :(. But even my super-old one is better than most new laptops' trackpads...

Windows has bad support for them, but the manufacturers/OEMs have their own software that works much better.

I don't see what's the big deal about momentum based scrolling. I don't like it, nor do I like Macbook trackpads. I use this fancy thing called a mouse

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Dells have always been popular here, and I must say the new XPS does look brilliant. My old man still has an old 17" XPS with Radeon 2600m graphics that's still ticking. 

It ways a ton, thick as a brick, and the battery barely lasts two hours, but it just keeps on ticking.

If their build quality has increased, it's even better. I happily recommend them to friends on budgets, that want a decent laptop.

One recently got the Inspiron 7000 with a simple dual core, and GT750m, and he's been in heaven playing games when he can. He's kind of abandoned his PS4 because of it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Windows has bad support for them, but the manufacturers/OEMs have their own software that works much better.

I don't see what's the big deal about momentum based scrolling. I don't like it, nor do I like Macbook trackpads. I use this fancy thing called a mouse

technically trackpads are fancier than a mouse considering its built into a computer thats thinner than a slice of bread

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

technically trackpads are fancier than a mouse considering its built into a computer thats thinner than a slice of bread

I use a mouse because it means that I don't have to use the trackpad at all. So I don't care. My daily driver ThinkPad X60 doesn't even have a trackpad.

I'd just hate to be my brother, who had a PS3 controller drop on his MBP's trackpad causing the glass(!) on it to crack

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

You must really hate trackpads in general then, because IMHO there isn't anything better.

Generally speaking, you're right. But I've used trackpads that aren't shit but Apple's don't fall in to that category.

Dells have always been popular here, and I must say the new XPS does look brilliant. My old man still has an old 17" XPS with Radeon 2600m graphics that's still ticking. 

It ways a ton, thick as a brick, and the battery barely lasts two hours, but it just keeps on ticking.

If their build quality has increased, it's even better. I happily recommend them to friends on budgets, that want a decent laptop.

One recently got the Inspiron 7000 with a simple dual core, and GT750m, and he's been in heaven playing games when he can. He's kind of abandoned his PS4 because of it.

I thank the higher powers whenever i get a dell laptop to repair, apple and dell(fuck alienware) are adding great layout so i dont have sort through a blackhole to change a drive

Listen if you care.

Generally speaking, you're right. But I've used trackpads that aren't shit but Apple's don't fall in to that category.

I am alright with anyone saying, that something is better than Apple (or any other brand), but I would really like to know which brand does offer better trackpads than Apple does. I have used trackpads on very expensive (i.e. top of the line) notebooks by Lenovo, HP, Dell and Fujitsu and all are far from what Apple offers. 

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I am alright with anyone saying, that something is better than Apple (or any other brand), but I would really like to know which brand does offer better trackpads than Apple does. I have used trackpads on very expensive (i.e. top of the line) notebooks by Lenovo, HP, Dell and Fujitsu and all are far from what Apple offers. 

Strangely, the ones on Sony's Vaio laptops feel a lot smoother and accurate to me.

so you dropped around 1 grand just to do word formatting and watching movies?

k

Lol. Maybe that's why they have Macs at my school. $1000 word processors. Even if they look nice, (I think they don't. The design gets old really fast) that's ultimately all they really are.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my zenbook had a good trackpad until I got a used macbook air and used it for a while. I don't know if it's the hardware or the drivers, but the zenbook trackpad is lightyears behind the air's. I always read that macs have great trackpads and I have to admit it's true. I don't really want to praise apple for doing something amazing but to scold Asus for not being able to make a proper trackpad for an ultrabook that costs more than 1000€.

42 wallaby way sydney

what part of Sydney, it's a pretty big place. 

MISS HOVER, I ATE MY GLUE!!!!

I thought my zenbook had a good trackpad until I got a used macbook air and used it for a while. I don't know if it's the hardware or the drivers, but the zenbook trackpad is lightyears behind the air's. I always read that macs have great trackpads and I have to admit it's true. I don't really want to praise apple for doing something amazing but to scold Asus for not being able to make a proper trackpad for an ultrabook that costs more than 1000€.

I think a big part of the problem when it comes to trackpads on laptops is windows/drivers. My previous laptop was an asus and the trackpad was just complete garbage in windows, but it actually worked a lot better when I used linux (especially two finger scroll and multi finger tap). OSX's trackpad support is lightyears ahead of windows, since its got excellent system-wide smooth/responsive scrolling etc...

I recently got a 13" Air with i7 and 512Gb storage for free from a place where I work. The most important thing for me with it is the very fast responsiveness and tons of battery life. So far I haven't run out of battery once even after a full day without charging. Ofcourse I don't game or watch movies on it. The build quality is absolutely great as well, so overall I'm very pleased. originally I wanted to get a thinkpad

IMHO, Apple's trackpad sucks. :P

Apple's trackpad is love, Apple's trackpad is life. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

That's a quote from the movie finding nemo...

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Strangely, the ones on Sony's Vaio laptops feel a lot smoother and accurate to me.

*chuckles*

you obviously didnt have a fucking childhood...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

One thing I never understood about Apple on screens.

Why Apple??

1366 x 768 (11in screen)

My Dell XPS 12

1920 x 1080 (12.5in screen)

Prefer the Dell over the Macbook Air any day. The dell is a little heavier due to the thick aluminum construction but is still pretty light for me. Use the Tablet mode sometimes in school to use a PLC since I have to stand and is easier to use. Do love the track pad on the Macbook air, a little more because the pad feels a little better constructed because the Right click broke within 3 weeks on my Dell. Wish laptops would have a standard of 1080p over $600 since you are playing a lot for them at that price point and most of them have nothing special about them either. All in all, love the review of the Macbook Air and hope the laptop lasts a long time for you.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

One thing I never understood about Apple on screens.

Why Apple??

1366 x 768 (11in screen)

My Dell XPS 12

1920 x 1080 (12.5in screen)

Prefer the Dell over the Macbook Air any day. The dell is a little heavier due to the thick aluminum construction but is still pretty light for me. Use the Tablet mode sometimes in school to use a PLC since I have to stand and is easier to use. Do love the track pad on the Macbook air, a little more because the pad feels a little better constructed because the Right click broke within 3 weeks on my Dell. Wish laptops would have a standard of 1080p over $600 since you are playing a lot for them at that price point and most of them have nothing special about them either. All in all, love the review of the Macbook Air and hope the laptop lasts a long time for you.

lower resolution doesnt matter much at this size screen, plus its better for battery life.

lower resolution doesnt matter much at this size screen, plus its better for battery life.

True but on Windows a 1366 x 768 screen looks weird to me since everything is kind big (hard to explain). But having a 1080p screen is like the perfect size for me since it doesn't look big and everything is sized right for me and even better to get wallpapers. The res is just a personal preference and depends on the person, I'm concerned about battery life as long as it last 6 or more hours, then I'm fine.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520