Samsung 840 Evo SSD Performance Degradation

eJoculate

There have been several reports going around lately about Samsung 840 Evo SSDs experiencing read speed drops with older files.
The main catalyst being the Overclock forum in this here thread.

Several users have independently tested their read speeds and the consensus can be summed up by this reddit post:

I just tested this myself on my 250GB 840 Evo:

I read a 6 month(power on hours) old file that is 8.5GB and it took 274 seconds with an average transfer rate of 31.8 MB/s

I read a new 3.7GB file ( ~ 48 power on hours) in 8 seconds with an average transfer rate of 473.6 MB/s

I cleared my disk cache before each test.

EDIT: More testing

I've clear my cache and read the file 4 more times

• Read #2: 46.4 MB/s
  • Read #3: 49.5 MB/s
  • Read #4: 51.2 MB/s
  • Read #5: 52.1 MB/s

For the more visually inclined amongst us:

Exhibit A: Samsung 840 EVO - 500GB

COaeueb.png

Exhibit B: Samsung 840 EVO - 1TB

900x900px-LL-12107716_samsung_840_evo_fi

Analysis:

• Drastic degradation can begin as early as 3+ month aged files
  • Currently appears to only affect the 840 EVO line

Speculations:

Current Solutions:

While awaiting an official response/update from Samsung, a possible solution to regain SSD level read speeds would be to defragment (yes, you read that right) the SSD. This is due to the current degradation of read speed being caused by files aging (from time last written); thus a process to relocate those files creates fresh write cycles and restores the read speed levels. Several users in the linked threads have attested to this method being effective, albeit at a cost to SSD longevity.

(longtime lurker, first time poster here; read the rules for posting in this section and searched ahead of time for coverage on this issue to ensure it wasn't already discussed. Apologies if I have failed miserably in my quest to create a rule abiding post.)

Edited by eJoculate

Very interesting. And the EVO line was doing so well...

This could really kill the drive as a boot drive as usually you keep those files on it for very long without changing them

I really hope they can find a solution to this and not by defragmenting.....

Edit:

@eJoculate good post btw

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Wow, good job on the first post, you did good son.

Makes me question thing. I wonder If the 850 Evo will have any issues, maybe Samsung already know about this, who knows.

Maybe I'll try stick to the m550 instead :3.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

since its just happening on the EVO drives then TLC might not be the culprut since the pro and the standard model is also TLC.

The only new thing with the EVO ssds is that its 19nm TLC or what samsung likes to call it 1x nm class , sata 3.1, a speed bump for the controller from 300mhz  to 400mhz  and queued TRIM commands 

could be a firmware issue with how it handles the new queued TRIM commands

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Please tell me more about how TLC NAND is a wise choice.

At this price point we now have the Crucial MX100 with a solid controller and MLC flash, yet still people flock to 840 EVO in droves, why?

In North America (and likely most of Europe as well), the MX100 is actually much cheaper :).

Why? I think it has to do with a built up reputation and people being clueless. Lots of people don't really pay attention to all of the important stuff and hear about it from this guy and this guy and that guy*, so it must be good. I can admit that I wouldn't know everything about SSDs (basically too little research outside of the controller and even then,...). This definitely surprised me but I don't care. The last time I recommended an EVO drive was back in October of last year, before/during the massive sales going on and before the rise in mining popularity. Since then, it's been the MX100, M500/550 and the PNY drives because of how much cheaper they are regularly and on sale.

Still think Samsung PROs are good if you have money but maybe Sandisk will take that spot soon. Especially after news like this (although, 850..). In any case, competition is getting stiffer. I'm glad people might pay attention to other brands now.

*Blame people on /r/buildapc for recommending nothing but Samsung EVOs for 8 months straight, basically.

Edit: Nice first post, keep 'em coming.

I had this problem with my 840 evo (120gb). I used a program written by brainsplatter (File Bench) and the windows folder, which i had since the beggining ( 5 months) and another old folder, had a average read speed of 30 mb/s but new / downloaded folders had a average of 400 mb/s. The booting time was definitly slower (5-8 seconds less) then when i got the drive.  Then i downloaded my defrag program and defraged the ssd ( I know that you shouldnt defrag ssds but this is a special case). After defraggin the ssd the speeds were back to normal and the windows folder was having a average speed of 450+ mb/s. Seems like the evo doesnt like old files but new one it does and deffraging seems like it rewrites all the files. When i was deffraging i was monitor with samsung magician program the toltal bytes written and it jumped from 2.28 TB to 2.36 TB (80gb) which probably wont affect much of the drive lifetime considering that you only need to this every 3+ months.

cpu:I7 4770k @ 4.3   gpu: 3.5 gb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GTX 970 @ 1530MHZ   Ram: 16Gb

Sounds like something Samsung will have to fix via a firmware update.

Until then evo users should not be afraid to defrag. Don't believe all the bs that it will kill your SSD.

also has anybody tested whether the same problem can be recreated on the 850 pro?

I've noticed similar issues with my Kingston, not sure, but if anyone on the forum wants to try repeatedly benchmarking their drives to produce similar results?

I've noticed similar issues with my Kingston, not sure

can You run a test before and after defrag?

I'm not unwilling to do this(YOLO SSD) but it will take time and I would have to stop everything to do this, so maybe later.

you cant defrag an ssd, you would kill it

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It might just be that a few people got duds. As far as I can tell, my 500gb 840 Evo is still running as fast as it did the day I installed it. Anyone have a recommended program to use to test it for myself?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Great first post, excellent formatting, gold star!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

you cant defrag an ssd, you would kill it

Interestingly this is actually a lie which people keep blindly repeating.

You normally don't need to defrag an SSD. It's considered pointless which is why we turn if off.

But doing so does not kill it or harm it.

People get paranoid because of the fact that SSDs have finite write cycles in their lifetime. What they do not realize is that defragging does not consume a significant portion of that.

They do not realize that the actual durability and lifespans are way more than what we consumers need or end up using.

A lot of the paranoia started because years ago first generation consumer SSDs had some problems (new tech). Tech sites all over capitalized and wrote all kinds of optimization guides to generate hits. Now even though those problems don't exist you will still find otherwise tech savvy people who think that they have to be careful with their modern SSDs, and who think it's dangerous to use them to their max. There are even people on this forum who move page files off SSDs sacrificing performance because they think that the writes are harming their SSDs.

Interestingly this is actually a lie which people keep blindly repeating.

You normally don't need to defrag an SSD. It's considered pointless which is why we turn if off.

But doing so does not kill it or harm it.

People get paranoid because of the fact that SSDs have finite write cycles in their lifetime. What they do not realize is that defragging does not consume a significant portion of that.

They do not realize that the actual durability and lifespans are way more than what we consumers need or end up using.

A lot of the paranoia started because years ago first generation consumer SSDs had some problems (new tech). Tech sites all over capitalized and wrote all kinds of optimization guides to generate hits. Now even though those problems don't exist you will still find otherwise tech savvy people who think that they have to be careful with their modern SSDs, and who think it's dangerous to use them to their max. There are even people on this forum who move page files off SSDs sacrificing performance because they think that the writes are harming their SSDs.

I defragged a samsung 830 and it died so thats what i believed, i guess times have changed, honestly i dont defrag anything anymore, i find that the performance improvement isnt noticeable but thats just me.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I defragged a samsung 830 and it died so thats what i believed, i guess times have changed, honestly i dont defrag anything anymore, i find that the performance improvement isnt noticeable but thats just me.

Interesting, I would guess it was coincidence, a bad drive that was dying anyway.

Anyway I don't defrag my SSD either. I did once though a year ago just for kicks (Corsair Performance Pro).

I wonder if the 840 pro will experience this sort of thing.............

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And i'm just sitting here with my perfectly working 830

Very interesting. And the EVO line was doing so well...

This could really kill the drive as a boot drive as usually you keep those files on it for very long without changing them

I really hope they can find a solution to this and not by defragmenting.....

Edit:

@eJoculate good post btw

No. In that case boot files are accessed daily. From the example speed starts to increase with each run. But for old files it will cause trouble.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Because SSD Magician. (and the SSD itself just looks beyond awesome)

Stupidest comment of the day goes to you, sir.

You guys wipe your Windows partitions less than twice a year?

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.