Unknown if I can mount CPU water cooler internally

Hello,

I have just built my gaming pc a few months ago and want to put a cpu water cooler in it however, I have measured the clearance in my case and it looks like I am unable to mount a h100i (the one I want) internally even though it say I can on the website.

I may be able to mount either the fans or the radiator externally but that creates other issues.

If I mount the fans externally, will it effect performance? I am happy to drill a hole for the cables.

Is there also any way that I can mount it internally?

Pc specs:

Intel i7 4770k 
Asrock Extreme 4 ATX Motherboard 
8GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 1600 Ram 
Gigabyte GTX760 OC 4GB 

Antec HCG-750M PSU 

Cooler Master N500 Case                 http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/n500/

Thanks heaps

Rhyalex

Yes I would like to mount it at the top, rad and fans.

It looks like the mobo has been shifted down in the one with the top mounted rad.

Thanks

@minimoose

Yes I would like to mount it at the top, rad and fans.

It looks like the mobo has been shifted down in the one with the top mounted rad.

Thanks

@minimoose

Oh, that may be the case (no pun intended).  Some mobos are bigger.  In that case you could mount it outside the case, while I don't have exact benchmarks, remember that Linus' open air test bench uses that method, so It won't be too bad.  Assuming your using the stock cooler it will still be an insane upgrade.

You can do it if you have enough space

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hahahaha

Yea I have an ATX and am using the stock cooler on my 4770k

Thanks for all your help.

but one last thing.

how will I get the pipes into my case.

Thanks again

@minimoose

You can just mount the fans outside and mount the rad inside @Rhyalex

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Hahahaha

Yea I have an ATX and am using the stock cooler on my 4770k

Thanks for all your help.

but one last thing.

how will I get the pipes into my case.

Thanks again

@minimoose

Well, I can't help you with that very much because I don't know your exact setup and I'm not so good with tools and stuff, but I would say you should drill holes in your case. I would recommend the back, or you could just leave the side panel off. Also ideally you will want to have the the radiator and fans standing up or on it's side not with the rad or fans pressed against something (a wall or desk or the floor)

You can just mount the fans outside and mount the rad inside @Rhyalex

No... The fans need to either blow air through the rad or pull air through it.

No...  The fans need to either blow air through the rad or pull air through it.

He did say he has no problem drilling. My suggestion is put the fans outside(top), the case wall in the middle then the rads inside(bottom).

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

I just remembered that my case has two holes in the back anyway, I think for a pump (not sure, never installed water cooling before) so can i mount the rad externally on the top of the case with the fans mounted internally on the top?

Thanks everyone for their help!

@minimoose

I just remembered that my case has two holes in the back anyway, I think for a pump (not sure, never installed water cooling before) so can i mount the rad externally on the top of the case with the fans mounted internally on the top?

@minimoose

You can try.... I'm not totally sure how well that will work, give it a try and let us know!

He did say he has no problem drilling. My suggestion is put the fans outside(top), the case wall in the middle then the rads inside(bottom).

Ah, that makes sense we'll see how it turns out!

only the first sentance showed up for me sorry about that also the two holes are for an external resevoir

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Ah, that makes sense we'll see how it turns out!

ooh ooh!!!! If you have extra cash buy something like this @Rhyalex :D

[spoiler=FAN SHROUD!!! :D]

shr-0820_p1-700x700.jpg

casemod2s.jpg

Spoiler

shr-0820_p1-700x700.jpg

What is that?

only the first sentance showed up for me sorry about that also the two holes are for an external resevoir

:)

Ok thanks guys ill mount the rad externally and the fans internally.

Ill get back to you with benchmarks in a few months when i have the money.HAHHA

Thanks again 

Ok thanks guys ill mount the rad externally and the fans internally.

Ill get back to you with benchmarks in a few months when i have the money.HAHHA

Thanks again 

Do it the other way around xD it's harder to mod with the rad outside rather than inside :) It's a fan shroud @minimoose

Spoiler

shr-0820_p1-700x700.jpg

casemod2s.jpg

Will Consider!!!

shr-0820_p1-700x700.jpg

casemod2s.jpg

hey mate,

do have a link to that exact one.

It will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hey mate, 

do have a link to that exact one.

It will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Well I've only seen a 280mm fan shroud http://koolance.com/2-x-140mm-fan-radiator-shroud-black . It doesn't mean that you can't use it tho(all you need is some 140mm to 120mm adapters if you want to use 140mm fans but 120mm fans are also good) :)

Spoiler

Hello,

I have just built my gaming pc a few months ago and want to put a cpu water cooler in it however, I have measured the clearance in my case and it looks like I am unable to mount a h100i (the one I want) internally even though it say I can on the website.

I may be able to mount either the fans or the radiator externally but that creates other issues.

If I mount the fans externally, will it effect performance? I am happy to drill a hole for the cables.

Is there also any way that I can mount it internally?

Pc specs:

Intel i7 4770k 
Asrock Extreme 4 ATX Motherboard 
8GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 1600 Ram 
Gigabyte GTX760 OC 4GB 

Antec HCG-750M PSU 

Cooler Master N500 Case                 http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/n500/

Thanks heaps

Rhyalex

You can mount the h100i on the inside with the fans on the inside too but it will block the top part of the motherboard and/or may rub/rest on something, just do a "dry fit" and see. 

A non-helpful one.

No...  The fans need to either blow air through the rad or pull air through it.

Yes they can. He can put the radiator on the inside and the fans on the outside in pull configuration but he won't win any awards for aesthetics. 

@minimoose

You shouldn't use this as you will need to dismantle the h100i to pass the tubes through it and then you will incorporate air into the AIO or not be able to put it back together (i don't know your capability in water cooliing).

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.