AMD FX-4300 Temperature

Saar

I just built a PC for my little brother, and the CPU temperatures are extremely high. I have the FX-6300 in my PC and the stock cooler never goes above 60 degrees. In my brother's PC the stock cooler easily reached 80 degrees under full load. I got a Logisys Beta 400 ST cooler for him, and temperatures are still at 80 under full load. By the way this is all according to HWMonitor. Any ideas what's going on here?

AMD FX-6300, Radeon HD 7770, ECS A970M-A Deluxe, 8GB 1866MHz RAM, 500W Antec Basiq

Replace thermal paste

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think you mounted the cooler wrong, you applied thermal paste wrong or possibly the temp sensor is broken?

Replace thermal paste

I cleaned the stock thermal paste and applied the one that came with the cooler. I had to put on the cooler multiple times until I got it right though, could this be a problem?

AMD FX-6300, Radeon HD 7770, ECS A970M-A Deluxe, 8GB 1866MHz RAM, 500W Antec Basiq

I think you mounted the cooler wrong, you applied thermal paste wrong or possibly the temp sensor is broken?

I would agree with this. And in regards of the temp sensor being broken I know that in the pc I built for my Brother the temp sensor must be broken because Hwmonitor and CoreTemp tell me that his Fx-4300 idles at 1-2 degrees.

So what is the best way to get CPU temperatures?

dude... WAHTTTTTTTTT

i have the FX-4130 Oc'ed to 4.2GHz and its a cooler 41* under gaming load

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Real Temp does not support the FX-4300

Assuming the fan on the cooler is running correctly, I would have to assume the thermal paste needs to be redone, I had that with my cpu and once I re-did my thermal paste after watching a ton of videos the temp dropped 10 degrees or something crazy.

Assuming the fan on the cooler is running correctly, I would have to assume the thermal paste needs to be redone, I had that with my cpu and once I re-did my thermal paste after watching a ton of videos the temp dropped 10 degrees or something crazy.

Well I ran out of the thermal paste that came with the cooler, so I'll have to buy some. What is the best thermal paste?

I cleaned the stock thermal paste and applied the one that came with the cooler. I had to put on the cooler multiple times until I got it right though, could this be a problem?

I think this is the issue. There's lots of air bubbles in the thermal paste.

Clean it off. Apply a single pea in the center, then align the cooler and make sure you clip it properly and only once.

Then check temps and tell us your result.

Well I ran out of the thermal paste that came with the cooler, so I'll have to buy some. What is the best thermal paste?

Arctic Cooling MX2 is a decent choice. Good temps and very cheap. Arctic Silver 5 is a little overrated, but it will still do well.

Now that is an entirely different conversation. But for the most part the majority of known thermal pastes are all good. I could go into the absolute best pastes but they are expensive and they only drop a degree or two if you are lucky.

Some popular pastes are here:

Arctic MX-4 http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-Carbon-Based-Thermal-Compound/dp/B0045JCFLY

Arctic Silver 5 (What I am using) http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Thermal-Compound-Grams/dp/B000OGX5AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410587749&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+paste

Noctua NT-H1 http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NT-H1-Thermal-Compound-Retail/dp/B002CQU14A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410587749&sr=8-5&keywords=thermal+paste

Look at this article for some performance tests: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/geek_tested_17_thermal_pastes_face

OK, I ordered the MX2. I will update when I get it and post the results.

Yes. Once you remove the cooler you need to reapply it all over again. Also, use some high quality thermal paste like MX-4 or something instead of the stuff they give you with the cooler.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't think anyone has mentioned this but also make sure there is no protective plastic film on the bottom of the heatsink. Forgetting this happens to even the best of us. Also I don't think it's been mentioned but get some 99% rubbing alcohol and some coffee filters to clean off the old thermal paste. The 99% rubbing alcohol you may have to ask for at the drug store, they sometimes keep it behind the counter.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100