Different Antivirus Programs; Rundown Good, Bad or I HATE IT SO BAD IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL,( and maybe why)

Hi,

So I recently started getting annoyed of Avira's Free Version ads permanently popping up on screen, So I thought about getting a new one.

Anyone have any advice in quality, price stress on system and generally not being a pain in the ass?

Sincerely and thank you in advance

Some dude on the Internet :D

I've used Avast in the past, and it's good enough, BUT they seem to want you to pay for it more and more as time goes on. It's a legit pain the arse to find the free version on there site. That said, at the moment I just use 1 third common sense, 1 third Malwear bytes scans on weird files and 1 third Microsoft defender.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

AVG sence windows 98se

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Hi,

So I recently started getting annoyed of Avira's Free Version ads permanently popping up on screen, So I thought about getting a new one.

Anyone have any advice in quality, price stress on system and generally not being a pain in the ass?

Sincerely and thank you in advance

Some dude on the Internet :D

Avira free version never have ads popping up on the sceen for me. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

wheres avast and avg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That should be added in if i still can. Thanks

you can add them

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Avira free version never have ads popping up on the sceen for me. 

I'm not sure if its only the newer versions but it is getting a little annoying. At first they were rather small and disappeared on their own but now they fill about a quarter of the screen

I've been using Webroot for around a year now. Only good things to say about it so far.

May your framerates be high, and your temperatures low my brothers and sisters. . . 

Good: Malwarebytes and Windows Defender (Have seemed to do a good job, at least for me)

Bad: McAffee (All my friends have sob stories involving this)

I HATE IT SO BAD IT SHOULD BURN IN HELL: PC Optimizer Pro (For obvious reasons)

Microsoft Security Essentials is all you need...

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

I use Windows Security Essentials too, but I don´t even see that on the list :P

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

Windows Defender in combination with Common Sense 2014 Pro™. I run a MalwareBytes scan once a month and it pretty much always comes up clean.

Yeah, pretty much what the majority here said. Windows defender for passive scanning and Malwarebytes for active scanning works for me.

I'm using avast, Just switch it to "Silent/Gaming" mode and it's not bothering me at all, I used to hate it and used AVG for a while, Didn't like it much but I don't do anything stupid to get viruses I hope haha :D

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

Eset nod all the way.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

AntiVirus programs are dieing or their use is at any rate, the big AntiVirus companies (McAfee,Symantec, etc.) are feeling the hit and venturing to other wares to push on people due to the drop.

The best thing you can do is to browse smarter, add tools such as NoScript,  AdBlocker, WOT and other add-on tools to keep those pesky nasty websites off your computer to begin with, also not visiting those bad websites (you know what's bad so don't start asking what's bad) that someone sent you to see so an so's goodies, if its not in the search engines results its probably not a valid website, heck search the URL someone sent you first and see what you get before actually going to some random website. Then practice the hover method, hover over a URL and make sure it is going to the place you want it to and not something different from were you want/think you're going. The TinyURL links can be a problem though but you can search for it and see what pops up before actually going there.

The web is not a friendly place much like the streets of an average big if not huge city, browser beware.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Microsoft security essentials/Windows' defender (depending on what version of Windows you run) + Malwarebytes for occasional scans is all you really need. Keep in mind that you should NOT have two different anti-virus programs with real time protections enabled at the same time, nor should you scan with two different programs at the same time. If you have real time protection enabled on one, disable it before using the other to scan your disks. Otherwise they can mess each other up and ultimately make both useless.

Just going to add on what I said earlier, all you need is MSSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and know how to use a computer and the internet properly.

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

My last laptop came with either Norton or McAfee... I don't remember which one for sure, but I want to say Norton. Regardless, it was a terrible piece of crap that made performance equivalent to a toaster until I removed it.

Now I just use the stuff built into Windows (Not sure if Security Essentials was the new name for Defender, or if Defender is the new name for Security Essentials... I have whichever one is in Windows 8).

Just going to add on what I said earlier, all you need is MSSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and know how to use a computer and the internet properly.

The best anti virus in the world is common sense