Living Room Speakers

kingkai112

I am thinking about getting some new speakers in our lounge. Ideally it would be a sound bar or stereo speakers. I really don't know where to start so have you got any suggestions?

Budget? For what movies or music? Do you want surround sound? Size of the room? Sub?

Stereo speakers would require an amp, but in my opinion pretty much blow away a soundbar.

I would recommend bookshelf speakers over a sound bar/satellite speakers if you want any kind of decent sound. Some brands I suggest you check would be B&W, Monitor Audio, Kef, Energy, Polk Audio, and Klipsch, but go audition lots of stuff at local stores before you buy.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Around £350 and a maximum of £400. I don't have a DAC just it linked via optical audio.

I am thinking about getting some new speakers in our lounge. Ideally it would be a sound bar or stereo speakers. I really don't know where to start so have you got any suggestions?

Are you connecting it to a TV? I'm thinking you are because you're considering a sound bar.

If so, an AV Receiver might give you the option to expand in the future. There are a lot of options out there, but here's a basic one:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx323/pion-vsx323-blk

You need at least a pair of speakers to go with the receiver. It'd be best to listen to your options, but it can be as simple as these:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/mordaunt-short/m20/mord-short-m20-blk

There are also quite decent satellite setups if the room is quite small. Some can squeeze into your budget if you are willing to work the wiring out.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/wharfedale/dx1-hcp/whar-dx1

As with virtually anything, you get more if you go up the price ladder. You just get diminishing returns as you go higher. There are a lot of HiFi and Home Theater stores in the UK. Do not be intimidated to give them a visit and to seek advice as the far majority of them are more than willing to help.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to get into it, you can build your own. Parts express has cabinets, plate amps/small form factor amps and all you would need to get it done along with in depth plans.

I made my own several times now and they sound better then what I can find in stores especially when compairing build cost to the price the stores try to sell Big Brands for.post-144071-0-64998600-1411756879.jpg

And you can tell all your awe struck friends that you made that B)