can my psu handle it?

jeffery30162

Right now I have an fx8350 and a sapphire tri-x r9 290x. All on an ultra 550watt psu. This runs fine even when I over clock alittle. But I want to crossfire with another sapphire trix-x r9 290 290x and I was wondering if I could run these off of the one power supply or can I add another power supply to my pc and jump it to use the 12v rail to power the extra graphics card. Please help me

Right now I have an fx8350 and a sapphire tri-x r9 290x. All on an ultra 550watt psu. This runs fine even when I over clock alittle. But I want to crossfire with another sapphire trix-x r9 290 290x and I was wondering if I could run these off of the one power supply or can I add another power supply to my pc and jump it to use the 12v rail to power the extra graphics card. Please help me

no. what you need is to sell you 550w and get a decent 850w 80+bronze or better psu with a single 12v rail. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Your current psu seems to be cheap, even with only one gpu, this setup is not optimal at all. Dual PSU setups make no sense for such a configuration. Just get a solid 850-1000W PSU from a trusted brand. Some examples are Seasonic, Corsair, beQuiet, CoolerMaster.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Don't cheap out on your psu, it can damage other components.

I would rather now buy a new psu than later also having to buy a new motherboard or something.

Yes get a nice PSU like the ones listed above, just throw the one you have away.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

get a better one 80+ certified so you know it can actually deliver what it says, and I would say either double it to 1000w or around 800w. and if your crossfire then i recommend nothing lower than 80+ silver.

Adding another PSU and jumping it is a BAD idea. The voltages will not be regulated properly and you can fry your parts.

I would get a 750-850 80+ certified PSU (good brands)

Sine the AMD parts tend to use a lot of power i would go with a single, more powerful psu, since jumping psus can have a bad impact on voltage ragulation and probably hurt your system. Dont cheap out on your psu even if every psu looks the same spec wise. Here i would go with about 800-900 watts.

I have a question going along this thread : I have a 730 watt PSU, and looking for a GPU upgrade, some cards require 750w PSU...can I still put it my system and run it at 100% capacity?  or does the 20w difference will affect performance? 

thank you kind strangers.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Dual PSU setup requires a specific design power supply, or else you will be running it in a crossload situation. It's better to get a proper quality unit to power your CFX setup. It doesn't need to be a single rail unit, and you shouldn't based your purchase on efficiency.

What is your budget and where are you able to buy from?

I have a question going along this thread : I have a 730 watt PSU, and looking for a GPU upgrade, some cards require 750w PSU...can I still put it my system and run it at 100% capacity?  or does the 20w difference will affect performance? 

thank you kind strangers.

What card require 750w that you are planning on upgrading to? Are you looking to SLI/CFX or something?

Also, telling us it's a 730w PSU doesn't help. PSUs of the same wattages are not made the same, where one can output whatever it is rated for (some are capable of doing more than it) continuously, while another can't even do half of that safely. We need to know the model of the unit you have.

Btw, you should make your own thread regarding this. It's a bit rude to the OP for high-jacking his thread, as well as it may lead to some confusions due to differing needs / location.

Does your pc have only a cpu and 2 gpu ? Of course it doesn't . Can you tell me what should I eat by telling you I have 2 hands and one head ? Of course you can't .. And that's why you should use http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp because you have more than one cpu and 2 gpus . That's just to show how much power it needs , but go for quality when buying one .

> I have approximate knowledge of many things <

Get a evga 850g2 or 750g2 (if no OC)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Id reccomend that you get a decent PSU, If you have the budget a corsair 800W atleast.  These days just go for a 80+ bronze if you dont have $$

CPU: i5 4590  Motherboard: H97M-G43   RAM: Hyperx fury 8GB   GPU: EVGA 750ti FTW edition   Case: NZXT P240  Cooling: Corsair H55

BOOM BOOM!

What card require 750w that you are planning on upgrading to? Are you looking to SLI/CFX or something?

Also, telling us it's a 730w PSU doesn't help. PSUs of the same wattages are not made the same, where one can output whatever it is rated for (some are capable of doing more than it) continuously, while another can't even do half of that safely. We need to know the model of the unit you have.

Btw, you should make your own thread regarding this. It's a bit rude to the OP for high-jacking his thread, as well as it may lead to some confusions due to differing needs / location.

Thank you for your answer. I didnt realize those informations matters. ill start my own thread as well. also, I didnt mean to be rude. Sorry OP!! 

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr