How do I tell my CPU is "stable"?

I'm about to overclock my i5 4670K for the first time. I'm following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE

Linus says to use AIDA64's built in stress tester, so I'm doing that. At 100% load, the CPU is reaching around 60 degrees Celsius average, but how exactly am I telling if the CPU is stable? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

elfdbd.png

if it doesnt crash ,its stable

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Basically, if the test can run for a reasonable amount of time without any issues, the overclock is stable. If at any time you find strange 'lag' or errors in computation while using your computer, lover the clock speed or up the voltage. try not to up the voltage past 1.3-1.4

Test for 24 hours to be absolutely certain. 

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Throw OCCT or AIDA64 at it for a few hours.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thanks guys, big help.

While I'm here, I'm stress testing right now:

uszfyh.png

It's constantly spiking between about 75 and 88 degrees celcius. I assume this is too high? Sucks too because I'm only at around 4.4GHz, about 1.29V, using Hyper 212 EVO.

Thanks guys, big help.

While I'm here, I'm stress testing right now:

uszfyh.png

It's constantly spiking between about 75 and 88 degrees celcius. I assume this is too high? Sucks too because I'm only at around 4.4GHz, about 1.29V, using Hyper 212 EVO.

I am using the same cooler as you with the 4770K and those temps are ok as long as you are not hanging around 90-95 C I would keep that OC and run a stress test for 12-24 hours then see if it crashes and I would be happy with it if it doesn't. 

I would stop at 70 degrees because your graphics card at full load will throw a lot of heat into your heatsink, making it less effective. I reccomend that until you get a better cooler, because trust me it really helps. On a nh-d15, my 8320 has gotten to a 'stable' 5.5 GHz on 1.565v. I would also do a 2 hour run on prime95 which will do some pretty heavy calculations and if one of your cores is unstable it will stop the calculations on that particular core, remember instabillities don't always blue screen you, they can overwork a core to the point of it answering 3 to "what is 1+1?". After 2 hours, comeback and you should see 'worker' windows and if one of them have stopped, lower your multiplier and don't touch your base clock.

Spoiler

AMD 8320 with Noctua NH-D15|ASrock Fatallity Killer 990fx|Sapphire Tri-X R9 290|8gb HyperX Fury Black 1866 MHz|Thermaltake 850W Gold|NZXT H440|Logitech G19s||R.A.T 9|Razer Vespula|Astro A50|Corsair Voyager GT 64 gb

Comp overclocker - Tinkerer - I thoroughly enjoy putting 12v into things that say 5v

It ended up crashing constantly. :(Guess I ended up bottom of the barrel with this CPU. Been doing some more, thinking I'm going to have to go 4.2GHz at best at still around 1.25V.

Another question: if the CPU is running stable for general use, and even playing games, but only blue screens/freezes when I do a stress test, what's stopping me from just leaving it at that GHz? Why does it matter what the stress test result is if it runs fine any other time?

It ended up crashing constantly. :(

Guess I ended up bottom of the barrel with this CPU. Been doing some more, thinking I'm going to have to go 4.2GHz at best at still around 1.25V.

Did you up the current level in the BIOS? 

AKA power limit?

Did you up the current level in the BIOS? 

AKA power limit?

Mm, maybe?

The only things I have changed are CPU Vcore (1.290V), CPU Clock Ratio (43), System Memory Multiplier (16.00) and CPU VRIN External Override (2.000V).

Mm, maybe?

The only things I have changed are CPU Vcore (1.290V), CPU Clock Ratio (43), System Memory Multiplier (16.00) and CPU VRIN External Override (2.000V).

You might wanna set RAM at 1600Mhz and then go for incremental OC's 

You might wanna set RAM at 1600Mhz and then go for incremental OC's 

It is at 1600Mhz, and that's what I've been doing. :(

It is at 1600Mhz, and that's what I've been doing. :(

What is the highest clock that you have gotten to be stable? 

Need to turn up the power limit then in the DIGI/VRM section of your BIOS.

Temperature spikes are probably when the CPU hit into power limit throttling.

What is the highest clock that you have gotten to be stable? 

Oh wait, you mean overclock the RAM? I haven't been doing that, it's been at 1600Mhz the entire time... is that where I've gone wrong?

Oh wait, you mean overclock the RAM? I haven't been doing that, it's been at 1600Mhz the entire time... is that where I've gone wrong?

When I overclock I set the ram to stay at 1600mhz not auto so that it will help in increase stability. 

You might also wanna adjust the Volts by small increments because small differences like .5 .25 can make a huge difference with stability and temp. 

So I've spent a lot of time over the last few hours trying different settings and clocks. So far I've come to about 4.4GHz at 1.29V. Temperature is around 67-72 Celsius.

Despite only having air cooling (Hyper 212 EVO), is it safe to go higher voltage? Should I stop at a certain V, or just keep going until a certain temperature?

EDIT: In fact I've just noticed something. Despite setting it to 4.4GHz, it's only reading 4.19GHz in the stress test. I changed it to 4.5GHz, same result at 4.19GHz in the stress test. What's that about?

I'm sure you'd have to open the side of your case else it won't hear you.

Seriously tho, if you run a stress test you'd know if your CPU is stable or not based on getting no errors or crashes. With Prime95 it's easy to see which cores are stable and which ones aren't because the worker thread will crash.

I'm sure you'd have to open the side of your case else it won't hear you.

Seriously tho, if you run a stress test you'd know if your CPU is stable or not based on getting no errors or crashes. With Prime95 it's easy to see which cores are stable and which ones aren't because the worker thread will crash.

Tried Prime95, it pushed the CPU to 100 degrees Celcius while the other two were a lot lower, which worried me a fuck ton so I stopped Prime95 altogether. Was that normal or something?

Tried Prime95, it pushed the CPU to 100 degrees Celcius while the other two were a lot lower, which worried me a fuck ton so I stopped Prime95 altogether. Was that normal or something?

Not exactly sure as I do not own a newer Intel microprocessor. All I know is they do run hot as a mofo if not cooled properly. Prime95 is like the worst case scenario you can also try IntelBurnTest which runs Linpack. You will probably see similar high temperature results. The Hyper 212 EVO isn't exactly a high performance cooler either when you're dealing with overclocking Haswell.