Learning to code.

MarvinKMooney
Go to solution Solved by Slaterz,

I'm a self taught programmer. I started off by learning the fundamentals by reading though a book for C++. I found this language very hard for a beginner though and ended up switching to learning C# which is a lot easier and you get to use Winforms so you can drag and drop your controls which you can't do with C++.

I also found it difficult by learning from books as it wasn't my learning style. There are lots of video tutorials on YouTube. I used this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0EE421AE8BCEBA4A

It may seem tedious at first but if you stick to it then in a few months you will be able to be a confident programmer and possibly make a career out of it like I did. My other tip is do not just copy and paste while you are learning. Actually type the code and understand why it does what it does.

So I want to learn how to code, what would be the easiest thing to pick up or to at least start off with?

C#

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Java, C# or C++

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

C#

^This.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

So I want to learn how to code, what would be the easiest thing to pick up or to at least start off with?

Hey, let me know how you'll go about learning it =)

Redliquid~

Java

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Any tutorials?

Not sure, I am taught by a tutor at my local polythechnic.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

So basically Java and C# any way better then the other like learning for. A book vs a website?

Like I was eye balling the java books that I saw are they any better then let's say the "for dummies" brand of books?

well i for example started learning C# through college classes but that was only until i got an idea how the stuff works basicly. i mean in its core functionalities then i started fideling with it myself and using google and youtube to learn what i wanted to do. it might be a weird comparison but i always till today feel a little like playing with lego while programming because you build this structure out of simple basic elements and wether it breaks or stands depends only on how you arranged the stuff. so bottomline is i never read a single book about it i only went to class and experamented a lot at home using goolge and youtube for quick help with a problem.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Start with C.  Everything, in my experience, is a build off of C, thus making learning in the future much less daunting. 

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I'm a self taught programmer. I started off by learning the fundamentals by reading though a book for C++. I found this language very hard for a beginner though and ended up switching to learning C# which is a lot easier and you get to use Winforms so you can drag and drop your controls which you can't do with C++.

I also found it difficult by learning from books as it wasn't my learning style. There are lots of video tutorials on YouTube. I used this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0EE421AE8BCEBA4A

It may seem tedious at first but if you stick to it then in a few months you will be able to be a confident programmer and possibly make a career out of it like I did. My other tip is do not just copy and paste while you are learning. Actually type the code and understand why it does what it does.

@Redliquid

Looks like I will try out the playlist first and see how that goes, I'll post another thread to show my progress or maybe I'll just bp this one back up.

@Redliquid

Looks like I will try out the playlist first and see how that goes, I'll post another thread to show my progress or maybe I'll just bp this one back up.

That's great. Just stick to it and do plenty of practice. Also play around and change a few things to see what you can do.

@Redliquid

Thanks, i think i'll look in to it to ^^

I've been learning Python on a course over at http://www.codecademy.com/  so far im 50% done with that course, It's a nice place to learn in my opinion.

Redliquid~

I think starting C# now that i've been learning Python for a while is just gonna screw my head up so i'll probably stick to that xD

Redliquid~

I think starting C# now that i've been learning Python for a while is just gonna screw my head up so i'll probably stick to that xD

Yeah I've not started it yet still have work but when I wake up I'll start getting every thing set up to start my long journey of learning C#

C++ is the industry standard now. So if you're looking to get good at something that will make you money don't bother with C#, Java, Python, or any of that crap.

C++ is the industry standard now. So if you're looking to get good at something that will make you money don't bother with C#, Java, Python, or any of that crap.

This is very untrue, some programming languages are better at doing things rather than the others. C++ does not dominate

This is very untrue, some programming languages are better at doing things rather than the others. C++ does not dominate

If you wanna work on your own project from home, sure Java, C#, hell even Visual Basic are viable languages to learn. Tho if you ever wanted to peruse a career in programming, C++ is pretty much the gold standard now from desktop software to games.

If you wanna work on your own project from home, sure Java, C#, hell even Visual Basic are viable languages to learn. Tho if you ever wanted to peruse a career in programming, C++ is pretty much the gold standard now from desktop software to games.

This is good to know, But how do you know this?

Do you have a source or some kind of proof? :)

Would you advise me to drop Python and continue learning C++?

(i used to study C++ but went over to Python because of http://codecademy.com)

Redliquid~

This is good to know, But how do you know this?

Do you have a source or some kind of proof? :)

Would you advise me to drop Python and continue learning C++?

(i used to study C++ but went over to Python because of http://codecademy.com)

I was going to peruse a career in software and game development. C# and Java tend to be the most commonly used, tho they are being phased out in favor of C++ and nimble frameworks like Qt. I don't even code in C++ anymore as I don't plan on perusing anything other than being an indie developer. If you wanna write your own games or software, C++ isn't exactly the friendliest language to do so in. I usually recommend people to stick to what they are comfortable in. If Python makes sense to you and its easy for you to slam out line after line of code I don't see the point of learning C++ unless you're limited by Python in some way.

I was going to peruse a career in software and game development. C# and Java tend to be the most commonly used, tho they are being phased out in favor of C++ and nimble frameworks like Qt. I don't even code in C++ anymore as I don't plan on perusing anything other than being an indie developer. If you wanna write your own games or software, C++ isn't exactly the friendliest language to do so in. I usually recommend people to stick to what they are comfortable in. If Python makes sense to you and its easy for you to slam out line after line of code I don't see the point of learning C++ unless you're limited by Python in some way.

But you said Python, Java and C# was crap, and that if we want to make money programming we should learn C++.

Now i'd like to make some money doing programming otherwise i obviously cant keep doing it. Why should i stick to Python if it wont make me anny money later down the road?

You also later said that you dont even use C++ annymore (why not?) 

I'm crap at all languages but less crap at Python since that's what i've been learning recently.

Should i stick with it or try continuing C++?

I'm so confused.

Redliquid~