What if you could make an OS?

orangecat

What if you could design and code your own OS from the ground up? What would you do? What would your interface look like? What would make your OS the best?

I had this awesome idea for an OS but I don't know how to code and even if I did I can assure you I would not know enough to code my own OS from the ground up.

Linux with all features of windows :)

It would have the best support for drivers. I would have some easy accesibilty like linux .

was making 1 before my old hdd died on me...

you can make 1 using Linux.

had all the hardware working and stuff, got it doing all the programming strings, had some UI together aswell -.- about 2 years work -.- not even bothered to restart the project

Character artist in the Games industry.

Basically windows 7 but with windows 8 performance, and more customization options. Also the most common tools us geeks use a lot with troubleshooting etc. built it to the OS in some form. The included software would have to be open sourced so that it can be improved by the public though!

HTTP/2 203

Linux with all features of windows :)

+1 on that one, or XP with all features (ehm DirectX 9 +) of newer Windows. :P

+1 on that one, or XP with all features (ehm DirectX 9 +) of newer Windows. :P

now ur just stuck in the past -_- XP was great dont get me wrong but win7 is just so much better, and win 8 tweaked is better too

now ur just stuck in the past -_- XP was great dont get me wrong but win7 is just so much better, and win 8 tweaked is better too

Maybe I am ;). But truth is, nothing beats XP, XP is last OS made by Microsoft that was actually made to (and for) work.

While Win 8 have improved 2D performance, it is crippled even more for performance, no matter what reviews says. Win 7 is light years behind XP in any situation (considering features XP have, or better said not have compared to win 7 or 8).

Windows XP is "bad" for new hardware only because support is gone, but new PC's that have proper software for it, it's still light years ahead of any OS after.

What XP really lack: Trim support, DX10+ support, and maybe some other minor features. Interesting thing is, that is possible (and fairly easy) to implement those features in 12+ years old OS, but due to the profit sector, it is decided not to be.

With that said, Windows 7 could be a good OS, and it is in almost all segmments. But take any newish system that is supported by software for XP, and you will find out that even if you put SSD on Win 7, it can't mach XP on HDD ;).

Maybe I am ;). But truth is, nothing beats XP, XP is last OS made by Microsoft that was actually made to (and for) work.

While Win 8 have improved 2D performance, it is crippled even more for performance, no matter what reviews says. Win 7 is light years behind XP in any situation (considering features XP have, or better said not have compared to win 7 or 8).

Windows XP is "bad" for new hardware only because support is gone, but new PC's that have proper software for it, it's still light years ahead of any OS after.

What XP really lack: Trim support, DX10+ support, and maybe some other minor features. Interesting thing is, that is possible (and fairly easy) to implement those features in 12+ years old OS, but due to the profit sector, it is decided not to be.

With that said, Windows 7 could be a good OS, and it is in almost all segmments. But take any newish system that is supported by software for XP, and you will find out that even if you put SSD on Win 7, it can't mach XP on HDD ;).

Hrm, I think XP was the first one more targeted at consumers, actually...

And what features in XP make it light years ahead of Windows 7 (or another OS)?