i5 4690k ($210) vs i7 4770k ($288)

So everyone agrees that I should get i7 not i5 DC?

Pretty much yes. The I7 is waaaay more powerful for a lot of things. Wont see much gaming performance between the 2 right now, but in 1 year or 2 you might. Still, moar powwwaaaaa!

Also, go with a liquid cooler if you are overclocking, and definitely get an aftermarket add on warranty just in case.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

@RobbazKing

you i5 pricing seems way high (maybe regional).

here in the states the i5 is $210 and i7 is $288: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k%2Cintel-cpu-bx80646i74770k/

if your regional pricing is correct and that is new for new, the i7 is the better value.

Okay what about $210 for i5 and $288 for i7?

Reason?

I shouldn't even have to put a reason, the i7 will be much more powerful than the i5 due to hyper threading, at least in multitasking, and very cpu intensive things.

Not to mention its just $15 more.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I shouldn't even have to put a reason, the i7 will be much more powerful than the i5 due to hyper threading, at least in multitasking, and very cpu intensive things.

Not to mention its just $15 more.

What about I just saw i5 for $210. What about $288 i7 vs $210 i5?

Do you need the extra performance for anything such as video editing or multitasking?

I currently run a i5 4690K in my system and its a great chip, devils canyon will be better for overclocking than haswell.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Do you need the extra performance for anything such as video editing or multitasking?

I currently run a i5 4690K in my system and its a great chip, devils canyon will be better for overclocking than haswell.

I only game. Also I'm not short on money (I'm getting a H440 Case...) Just want to know if it would be stupid or not.

Xeon E3-1231v3

I allready have a board. I saw that one... Its more than the i7, plus I WANT to overclock got 4.6Ghz with my Shadow Rock 2 on fx 8320...

I allready have a board. I saw that one... Its more than the i7, plus I WANT to overclock got 4.6Ghz with my Shadow Rock 2 on fx 8320...

if you have a newer board its probably compatible with Xeon

Edit: MSI Z97 gaming 7 its compatible with Xeon

A 4690k will be perfect for gaming. You will be able to OC it more than the 4770k for sure because they fixed the TIM thermal issues the first haswell had.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A 4690k will be perfect for gaming. You will be able to OC it more than the 4770k for sure because they fixed the TIM thermal issues the first haswell had.

So for $70 more its not worth it?

I only game. Also I'm not short on money (I'm getting a H440 Case...) Just want to know if it would be stupid or not.

then i5 would be fine for gaming, the main difference between the i7 and the i5 is hyper threading, applications like photoshop, rendering, 3d modeling will benefit from that.

then i5 would be fine for gaming, the main difference between the i7 and the i5 is hyper threading, applications like photoshop, rendering, 3d modeling will benefit from that.

What about in the future?

Also is it worth it for $70?

if your will only use it for gaming it will last you a long time

no one is gonna give a 100 percent guarantee about the future because we don't know what's gonna happen in the future, my advice would be stick to the i5 4690k and overclock the cpu if your just gaming. 

if your will only use it for gaming it will last you a long time

I want to use it a long time. I only game. So i5 or i7?

no one will give a 100 percent guarantee about the future because we don't know what's gonna happen in the future, my advice would be stick to the i5 4690k and overclock the cpu if your just gaming. 

So it's not worth the extra cash for the i7? Also the consoles have 8 cores and i7 has HT... so I think future is better for i7? Am I correct?

i5. Did you get motherboard on sale or something that your buying cpu sepperatly

for gaming no you wont see any real difference

Okay. What about future? I play BF4 CS GO, insurgency, and RTS games like COH2

i5. Did you get motherboard on sale or something that your buying cpu sepperatly

I got msi motherboard for $140 after tax on a very good deal.

So it's not worth the extra cash for the i7? Also the consoles have 8 cores and i7 has HT... so I think future is better for i7? Am I correct?

i hardly know any games that use HT, my advice is to spend money on a i5 4690k and overclock it if your just gaming, use the extra cash on a better gpu.  Unless your doing video editing, 3d modeling, rendering, photoshop, and programs that would take a big part of your tasks then no, it's not worth the extra cash.

Okay. What about future? I play BF4 CS GO, insurgency, and RTS games like COH2 

I got msi motherboard for $140 after tax on a very good deal.

as i said before it will last for a long time its hard to say how long but you will be able to play almost every game on ultra at least 4-5 years with good GPU

good for you but i still think xeon and h97 board would be a better deal 

@RobbazKing

if you're purely gaming the i5 is simpler, less costly and allows more to be spent

on GPU. if you use heavily threaded application on a daily basis, mega large

photoshoping files, large filters and plug-ins for video editing, then the i7.

the $75 dollar difference is your call, but for me, the i5 and better GPU for gamers

is the need for now. if your previous pricing was correct, then the i7 would be the

better buy, just for the $15 difference. depends on your region pricing (location?)

Currently, less than 1% of games use over 4 threads. So basically the i5 will perform better in 99% of games than the i7.

In 5 years I predict that the i5 will perform better in 90% of games than the i7, because probably around 10% of games will be able to use over 4 threads.

So basically for the best gaming experience in the next 5 years, the 4690k will beat the 4770k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Currently, less than 1% of games use over 4 threads. So basically the i5 will perform better in 99% of games than the i7.

In 5 years I predict that the i5 will perform better in 90% of games than the i7, because probably around 10% of games will be able to use over 4 threads.

So basically for the best gaming experience in the next 5 years, the 4690k will beat the 4770k.

as i said before it will last for a long time its hard to say how long but you will be able to play almost every game on ultra at least 4-5 years with good GPU

good for you but i still think xeon and h97 board would be a better deal

Okay thanks, I bought the H100 water cooler to cooler the i5 for upgrade from Shadow Rock 2.