i5 4690k ($210) vs i7 4770k ($288)

Hello,

Is the $15 extra worth it?
Also is devils canyon much better vs normal?
I WANT to overclock

Thanks

PC:
MSI Z97 gaming 7

2x 7950 CF

Shadow Rock 2

6GB ram.

If it were me, I'd go 4770k for the ability to multitask without slowdowns. Granted the 4690k isn't a slouch. but still MOAR THREADS. 15$ more really is a bit of a bargain.

Ahh, didn't see the overclocking bit. That would be better answered by someone who isn't running a 4690k at stock clocks (im scared to push it lol)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If it were me, I'd go 4770k for the ability to multitask without slowdowns. Granted the 4690k isn't a slouch. but still MOAR THREADS. 15$ more really is a bit of a bargain.

Ahh, didn't see the overclocking bit. That would be better answered by someone who isn't running a 4690k at stock clocks (im scared to push it lol)

Is the i7 much better? As in for the future?

It's just $15 more, that's a good deal. i7's are usually $350 at where I live.

I might be wrong, but apparently DirectX 12 will take advantage of the extra threads? If that is true, the i7 can give you an even better gaming experience.

Also is devils canyon much better vs normal?

If you are comparing Devil's Canyon to Haswell, it is a little better. It has a revised and better TIM, which means better temps.

I highly recommend getting the i7.

Yes, I think DirectX 12 will take advantage of the extra threads.

It might give you a little more time before you upgrade too.

It's just $15 more, that's a good deal. i7's are usually $350 at where I live.

I might be wrong, but apparently DirectX 12 will take advantage of the extra threads? If that is true, the i7 can give you an even better gaming experience.

If you are comparing Devil's Canyon to Haswell, it is a little better. It has a revised and better TIM, which means better temps.

I highly recommend getting the i7.

So the older haswell i7 is better than devils canyon i5?

Well, with games (if you are a gamer) getting sooo much more complex, you'd be better off with the I7 because it has hyperthreading. Your temps won't be as good (barring the silicone lottery mind you, every cpu performs slightly to wildly differently from the next cpu of the exact same model) as a 4790k. but still, for 15 bucks more it's a f**king steal.

OH, I almost forgot, you MIGHT not be able to run the 4770k on the z97 board, they require a bios update to do so (or they did, not sure if its been fixed), which to my rememberence means you need a second cpu thats capable of running on the z97 board. Confirm that elsewhere, my memory isn't all that great

Well, with games (if you are a gamer) getting sooo much more complex, you'd be better off with the I7 because it has hyperthreading. Your temps won't be as good (barring the silicone lottery mind you, every cpu performs slightly to wildly differently from the next cpu of the exact same model) as a 4790k. but still, for 15 bucks more it's a f**king steal.

So i7 4770k is a better deal right? Also what kind of OC, because of heard of something called hasfail...

i7 is better deal.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

OH, I almost forgot, you MIGHT not be able to run the 4770k on the z97 board, they require a bios update to do so (or they did, not sure if its been fixed), which to my rememberence means you need a second cpu thats capable of running on the z97 board. Confirm that elsewhere, my memory isn't all that great

Oh, I only have a pentium G3220...

Will the i7 work?

i7 is better deal.

What about hasfail? Also will it work on my board?

So the older haswell i7 is better than devils canyon i5?

Yes. I meant that the TIM on the DC CPU's are slightly better, but it's no big difference.

I had no issues overclocking my 4770K. If only I didn't lose the silicon lottery on it, I would've got much better temps. And K series CPU is made to be overclocked, I never heard of Hasfail.

Get the i7.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I thought that you needed a BIOS update to run a Devil's Canyon CPU on a Z87 board, but Haswell is fine on Z97 boards.

So i7 4770k is a better deal right? Also what kind of OC, because of heard of something called hasfail...

Well it's really hard to say. Every single CPU in existent is slightly different than every other cpu of the exact same model. One 4770k might be able to hit 5ghz, one might only hit 4.1ghz, even though they might have been cut from the same bit of silicone. It's called the silicone lottery. Overclocking is a bit of a gamble no matter what you do, since you are pushing the hardware past it's rated specifications. Not that it will fail at .1ghz over, but it could, it's all up to chance. ALSO, if you MUST overclock I would get an extra accidental damage warranty of some sort, just in case.

I thought that you needed a BIOS update to run a Devil's Canyon CPU on a Z87 board, but Haswell is fine on Z97 boards.

I've heard that you need a BIOS update for both. Not 100% sure on that.

Well it's really hard to say. Every single CPU in existent is slightly different than every other cpu of the exact same model. One 4770k might be able to hit 5ghz, one might only hit 4.1ghz, even though they might have been cut from the same bit of silicone. It's called the silicone lottery. Overclocking is a bit of a gamble no matter what you do, since you are pushing the hardware past it's rated specifications. Not that it will fail at .1ghz over, but it could, it's all up to chance

I've heard that you need a BIOS update for both. Not 100% sure on that.

Oh, whats the pros of the I7 Compared to the i5? and vice versa?

What about hasfail? Also will it work on my board?

hasfail?

If you think that, you deserve an AMD.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Thanks

hasfail?

If you think that, you deserve an AMD.

I heard someone say it here. That's why I'm asking...

i7 all the way, just get a slightly better cooler

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

$15 difference. You really dont have to think much.

Okay thanks. Is my cooler enough?

The I7 can handle multiple tasks better whilst multitasking. For instance if you where gaming whilst watching a movie on another monitor or something, or if you need to render stuff, shit like that. The I5 isn't a slouch by any means, but the I7 is just another step up in power and ability. Single core performance as far as I know is about the same (most games right now only use 1 to 2 cpu's. But supposedly we are on the verge of seeing games that use hyperthreading. I don't really know how to explain hyperthreading though)

If you WANT to overclock then you will need liquid cooling, unless you get some kind of massive air cooling heatsink, something from noctua

This really depends on how far you want to push it, and what kind of chip you got (as in your luck).

wqell when ther at the smae price ther is non from line to line, and the only reason that the dc chips are better is that they have a better thermal interface

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/